GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

5.7l TBI intake manifold leak

This is a discussion on 5.7l TBI intake manifold leak within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I gotta get a new intake manifold gasket on my 350 tbi, does the brand gasket really matter, I think ...

5.7l TBI intake manifold leak

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I gotta get a new intake manifold gasket on my 350 tbi, does the brand gasket really matter, I think the shop will be using a Mr. Gasket, is that fine? Meineke quoted me about 500 bucks out the door, I thought that was decent?

I know the vortecs are notorious for this crap, thought the tbi's would be better. Easier than the vortec at least, dont need a computer to set the distributor and everything right.
    Last edited by dcZ71; 12-22-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Re: 5.7l TBI intake manifold leak

if you got a timing light do it yourself.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

I am sofa king we tod did LikeARock47's Avatar

It is not too hard just takes time to clean the surfaces real good. You will need

Gasket set
    black RTV
    "tacky" stuff to hold new gaskets in place
    Carb or brake cleaner
    Scraper
    Timing light

I'd also recommend taking off the EGR and clean it out, and new EGR gasket and distributor gasket.
    Last edited by LikeARock47; 12-22-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    94 Chevy K1500, 350 V8 extended cab stepside 4x4

$500 to change an intake gasket??? Bring it over I'll do it for $250 and set the timing for you too! Really it's an easy job, I'd think about doing it yourself for that kind of money... and to answer your question, no the brand of gasket doesn't matter

$500 is A LOT of money for the intake manifold gasket on these trucks i believe the part that would take you the longest to set up once its back in place is the timing

95 2dr tahoe tbi 5.7 Sold
    2005 GMC 2500HD 6.0 cranked on 285's

The front right bolt (passenger side) on the intake manifold must be sealed with teflon tape, or equivalent, as is goes through a water jacket. There may be others, don't remember off hand.

I know but no garage and 30 degrees outside not gunna be pretty with numb hands.

Guess I'll have em do it...labor rate is at least 80/hr here anywhere you go. oh well she needs to be fixed up. will they clean the lifter valley, is that pretty standard?
    Last edited by dcZ71; 12-22-2010 at 09:40 PM.

WPG

Ha hope yours turns out better than mine. Exact reason I didn't do it ( the first time), I just thought it was to cold.
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...-7-intake.html
    I will never let someone touch my truck again.
    And to answer your question of cleaning who knows when they tighten it back up.

WPG

Ha hope yours turns out better than mine. Exact reason I didn't do it ( the first time), I just thought it was to cold.
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...-7-intake.html
    I will never let someone touch my truck again.
    And to answer your question of cleaning who knows when they tighten it back up.

My normal mechanic told me 500 also and his labor rate is 95 an hour. Then once my brother in law seperated from a jackass repair shop and opened his own he said he would do it for 250. Can't remember if the valves have to be adjusted on the 90 tbi and he couldnt remember off hand but said he would adjust them if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by LikeARock47 View Post
    It is not too hard just takes time to clean the surfaces real good. You will need

Gasket set
    black RTV
    "tacky" stuff to hold new gaskets in place
    Carb or brake cleaner
    Scraper
    Timing light

I'd also recommend taking off the EGR and clean it out, and new EGR gasket and distributor gasket.
    And don't forget your torque wrench & torque specs ;)

I just did the gaskets on my 95 Suburban TBI on Monday. I used the Fel-Pro kit that came with sealant for the front and rear. 212K miles on this motor. Coolant was shooting out the front of the drivers and rear of the passengers side. Strange... Took me all day because it was cold outside. I would work for a while, then go inside for a while.. The hardest part for me was getting the heater hose fittings not to leak. Turns out the little gasket fell out when I separated them. They were both replaced this summer, so I knew it had to be something I did. I did some cleaning in the lifter valley, but for a 200+K motor, it was cleaner than I thought. Just some chunky crud around the center holes to the intake. I did degrease and pressure wash the intake and valve covers, and took the opportunity to replace valve cover gaskets. Also an oil change or two, as most of the time just removing the intake manifold will put coolant into your engine, if the gaskets themselves didnt......I did not use a timing light, I carefully marked the distributor rotor position, as well as housing position scribed onto the intake. Replaced cap and rotor as well. I must have put it right back where it came from as it runs like new All in all I have 98 dollars total into the job and a frozen day of my time. Well worth it at Christmas time! Good luck.

Do not use Teflon tape. GM states in the FSM that all bolts must have a thread sealant GM uses Teflon paste. Some of the bolts go through the water jacket and some go into the lifter valley.
    Teflon tape will cause low torque on the intake bolts and possible leaks..

Quote Originally Posted by 19silverado94 View Post
    The front right bolt (passenger side) on the intake manifold must be sealed with Teflon tape, or equivalent, as is goes through a water jacket. There may be others, don't remember off hand.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

I did my intake manilfold gaskets on my tbi at 180k. Took me all day and wasnt that hard, just a long process. I have to say, to run a shop that makes any money, and including the cost of gaskets, and shop supplies, I would probably charge someone $400 to do it. $500 is a bit high but certainly expected. If you have a timing light and a torque wrench and a day or two then go for it, otherwise if it is super cold out and you need $200 in tools, just take it in.
    95 transgo shift kit, vette servo, flowmaster, Yukon 4.11's, Detroit TrueTrac, 4" RC lift, 4" blocks, 31x10.5 Mud Brutes, Pioneer system, 383:. dart 165/67cc heads, eagle rotating assembly, 3704 intake manifold, 47mm TB, comp xe249h, flowtech headers, spintech 6000

Alright its done. I noticed they didnt run a bead of rtv around the outside, is that normal?

Might be a little seep from the water outlet on the intake, gotta take care of that.
    Last edited by dcZ71; 04-12-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Normally you just put a blob in all 4 corners of the intake where the side gaskets meet the end gaskets.

As for the leak, if it is a hose clamp tighten it, if it is the housing itself it should be torqued to spec (not a lot either) or it can easily become warped (common), and require replacing, could easily just need to be retorqued after driving it as the metal expands and shrinks and the gasket compresses.
    Last edited by AcezHi; 12-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.