If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

LED Bulb Issues (Hyperflashing and Not Working)

This is a discussion on LED Bulb Issues (Hyperflashing and Not Working) within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I recently ordered all brand new LED bulbs for my Parking Lights and Turn Signals. When I installed them all ...

LED Bulb Issues (Hyperflashing and Not Working)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I recently ordered all brand new LED bulbs for my Parking Lights and Turn Signals. When I installed them all last night, discovered a few problems I now have.

First off, I have the problem with hyperflashing, which I figured I would see after doing a little research.

My next problem is that when I flip the blinker to the right side, the most inner Parking Light bulb will flash when the blinker is on but when I shut the blinker off, it stops working completely. Is that possibly a connection problem? The other two appear to work fine.

My last problem is that the Corner Lights don't work when the headlights are off and you try to use the blinker. The first two scenarios were tested with the headlights on but when I shut the headlights off and try to use the blinkers in a normal situation, the Parking Lights all work fine and blink normal, but the Corner Lights on either side don't flash or light up at all.

I read online that I needed a upgraded flasher to support the LEDs so I went out to Napa this morning and got Napa's Heavy Duty Electronic Flasher EP36 12Volt 28809, assuming this would remedy the problem with hyperflashing, and hopefully fix the rest of the electrical issues I'm having. Unfortunately, I popped it into the truck and all the same problems still occur. I noticed on the back of the new Flasher it says 3x27W+5W, 6x27W, Max 6 Lamps, SAE J945, J590, FMVSS 108. I don't know that that has to do anything but in total, I did put 6 new LED bulbs (4 in Parking Lights, 2 in Corner Lights) in the truck. Is that my problem?

If anyone has any feedback or knows how to fix this I would greatly suggest help. I only have a few more days before I'll need my truck again so I'll need to get this problem fixed as soon as possible. I also have ordered, but haven't received yet, LED bulbs for my Tail Lights and Dome Light which I am now hesitant on putting in if its gonna create all these electrical issues.

I know I've had previous troubles getting all the bulbs to light up when I replaced my Headlights and Parking Lights with Crystal Clear Lenses but I didn't have this much of an issue getting them to work and once I did, they have stayed working since.

I hope I can find a solution quick so I'm not worried about not having a truck with proper functioning lights. Thanks and have a great New Years Eve!
    Last edited by xstuddsx; 12-31-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    1993 Chevy Silverado K1500 350

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

Re: LED Bulb Issues (Hyperflashing and Not Working)

I don't know about your other problems but the corner lights may never work properly with led's. As my memory serves me the corner lights are wired between the headlight switch and the turn signal bulb. with the headlights on the corner light is grounding through the turn signal bulb so when the turn signal flashes on you have power to both sides of the corner light and it goes out. When the turn signal flashes off the bulb then grounds through the turn signal and comes on. Inversely when the head lights are off the corner light powers through the turn signal bulb and grounds through the headlight switch so that when the turn signal flashes on it powers the bulb and it comes on, when the turn signal flashes off there is no power to either side of the bulb and it goes out. I am not familiar with the resistance through an led but it is entirely possible that the corner light can not get the necessary ground through an led and therefore will not work. I am not 100% sure of the wiring on your truck but this is how I remember them wiring. With regards to them hyperflashing, large trucks, I am speaking of tractor trailer units used to have a motor driven flasher in them. It plugged into the same socket but was as I recall about an inch and a half cube. It had a small motor driving a mechanical switch so that the flasher never changed speed regardless of how many bulbs were on it. I dont know if they still use them or if they have a different system but they by necessity need to have some kind of flasher that is not sensitive to adding or dropping trailers and the addition or subtraction of all the additional bulbs. This would cure the flash rate problem.
    Last edited by grumpy old man; 12-31-2010 at 02:17 PM.

After doing a little bit of playing, I discovered something; Based on what grumpy old man said, I took the LEDs out of the Corner Lights and put in the regular 194 bulbs. When I put those in, the corners worked either way whether the headlights were on or not. So like grumpy old man said, I think there might be an issue with grounding when putting LEDs in the Corners. I did a little more testing, just for some more information about whats going on in the electrical system, and noticed that the LEDs will only work in the state in which they are entered into the socket. If you put the LEDs in while the headlights are off, then the bulbs will flash when the blinker is on without headlights, but they do not even light up when the headlights are on. Now if you install them while the headlights are on, then they will blink perfectly but once the headlights are off and you try to use the blinker, the Corners won't flash. Just a little more information for you guys out there.

As far as that inner Parking Light bulb, I believe the connector is bad after doing a few test because I can either get the bulb to stay on with headlights or flash with the blinker, but not both based on which direction I put it in the connector. It cost me damn near $50, but I went out and bought two Corner Light Connectors and four Parking Light connectors and just plan on replacing all the connectors up front. I only have the two Corners and one Parking Light connector right now because the Napa here only had one in stock so I have to pick the other three up on Sunday since their closed tomorrow for New Year's Day.

As far as the hyperflashing goes, it's still doing it and I haven't come across any fixes yet. Does anyone know where I can get a flasher like the one grumpy old man mentioned if that's the problem? Or is something else affecting it? Because after taking out the Corner Light LEDs, I now only have four LEDs running on the truck and it still does the hyperflashing.
    Last edited by xstuddsx; 12-31-2010 at 04:32 PM.

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

Also, if anyone is curious, these are the bulbs/lighting I have bought for my truck. I wanted to basically upgrade all the lighting for a lot brighter, sleeker, look.

Low Beams - 35W HID Digital Slim HID Kit 9006
    High Beams - 65W HID Xenon White 9005 Light Bulbs (Gas bulbs not true HID since I heard the don't warm up fast enough)
    Parking Lights - 1157 Super Amber 19 LED Light Bulbs
    Corner Lights - 194 LED Wedge Light Bulbs
    Dome Light - 211-2 6 LED 42MM White Festoon Dome Light Bulb
    Brake Lights - 1157 12 LED White Light Bulbs
    Reverse Lights - 1156 24 LED White Light Bulbs

The Dome Light, Brake Lights, and Reverse Lights have yet to arrive.
    Last edited by xstuddsx; 12-31-2010 at 04:49 PM.

You should be able to find the flasher at a Ford (gag) dealership or probably at any truck stop or truck repair. I know for a fact that Ford used them on medium and heavy duty chassis several years back. I used to buy them at my local Ford dealership, again as my memory serves it was on 600 series and above. At my age nothing memory related is for sure as with age your brain leaks. The Grump

you can make it work right dude i did it to my truck. get some resistors of ebay for your corner light to stop the flashing. and for the light trouble check all your fuses inside your truck and under the hood. you may also want another thing i forgot the same of it i will look it up, this thing keeps your leds from burning up from the load off the voltage going to them. my truck did that weird flashinf with the lights on and off. one fuse was messed up.

You need a resistor to stop the flashing

Are these the resistors your talking about? The don't say they are for the Corner Light Bulbs (194) but it says they do work on the Parking Lights (1157). Can I still put them on the Corner Lights even tho the ad doesn't specify that? Or do I have to use them on the bulbs specified? And if I do, will putting a Resistor on the Parking Lights fix the hyperflashing anyway or does it have to go on the Corner Lights?
    Last edited by xstuddsx; 01-01-2011 at 11:01 AM.

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

You don't need resistors for the corner lights. They have no affect on hyperflashing.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

@1badgmc

If resistors don't fix hyperflashing, then how can I fix it???

And as far as the rest of the lighting system goes, I put in the HID kit into my low beams today and I also got the High beam bulb. Overall, I am very pleased with the light output from the HIDs but unfortunately, mine were doing some minor flickering (more so on the driver side), which after doing some research in 1badgmc's HID thread in his sig, I found out that I'm going to need a relay harness to fix that so I'm in the process of getting that now off eBay. Hopefully running the HIDs without the relay harness for a week or so won't damage anything since it will take at least that for the shipment to arrive.

As far as the 65W Xenon 9005 High Beam Bulbs, they are nowhere near as bright as the HID kit is for low beams, but I do believe they are brighter, and definitely more white, than the stock bulbs that were in there.

Tomorrow I'll head back to Napa and pick up the rest of the connectors from them and start replacing my old connectors. Hopefully I can get it completely wired back up tomorrow with the lights and grille back in and then I'll take and post some pics up here for you guys.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to fix the hyperflashing I'd love to hear. I still haven't figured that issue out yet.

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

The LEDs in your parking/signal lights are causing the hyperflashing. Those are the ones you need resistors on.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do I need resistors on each of the four bulbs in the Parking Lights? or Just on a couple? Or one?

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

I drove my truck for a month without the harness on my HIDs. No problems. I had one misfire, so I decided to get the harness.
    1990 RCSB 355/700R4 4/6 drop all DJM 15x8 Cragar V5's 255/60R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's
    My Garage my build thread

make sure you get the right one with the ohms and watts

Well after quite the hassle, I finally got everything back in and together. The sockets that Napa sold me to fit the Parking Lights ended up not fitting after I had already got them all wired up. They were way too deep and wouldn't allow the Parking Light lense to screw back into the grille so I ended up having to travel to four different auto parts stores to scrap up enough of the right connectors to finish it last night. The ones that actually fit are Dorman 85832 Socket Assemblies which have the 90 degree turn, allowing them to fit between the Parking Light lense and the metal wall. Unfortunately, every auto parts store here carries between 1 and 2 of them in they store, so you have to wait for them to order more. Luckily I was able to scrape up all four between the different local stores. Unfortunately, after all that one of my new LED bulbs has already malfunctioned so I had to take it out and replace it with a stock bulb. And since I did that to one side I made sure I did it to the other side to so at least they look symmetrical. I still have the hyperflash problem but after your guy's help, I know I just need to order a couple of resistors and that will solve that problem.

My HIDs look great and I am very satisfied with them. They still flicker but I've already ordered a HID relay kit that is suppose to be here between the 6th and 7th so hopefully buy this weekend that will already be installed and they'll have plenty of power!

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

great to hear you solved your problem, order smd leds they are bright

Well unfortunately I still have a problem. After installing my HID relay harness, I still have flickering problems on both sides. Especially the driver side which flickers non-stop. Could some please help me on why this is still happening? I thought the relay harness was suppose to solve that problem? This is starting to get pretty annoying that I can't figure out these electrical problems.

2004 Nissan 350z Touring

Swap the ballasts from right to left and see if the more flickering goes to the right or not.
    1990 RCSB 355/700R4 4/6 drop all DJM 15x8 Cragar V5's 255/60R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's
    My Garage my build thread

In the end, it ended up being a bad ballast. The guy I bought it from sent me two new AC ballasts (for free!) that were suppose to be better and when I installed them in completely fixed all the flickering.

2004 Nissan 350z Touring