If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

HELP! --- Rear Axle Locked Up

This is a discussion on HELP! --- Rear Axle Locked Up within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; HELP ME Please! Was taking my truck out, started to hear a squeaking in rear end, put some oil on ...

Rockin' and Rollin'

HELP! --- Rear Axle Locked Up

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    HELP ME Please!
    Was taking my truck out, started to hear a squeaking in rear end, put some oil on driveshaft u-joint where it meets the differential and noticed it was burning.

The front of the axle where it meets the drive shaft where the pinion bearing is was very hot to the touch. Drove some more then the axle completely locked up in forward and reverse.

SO this is where I need help. I know its not an easy fix, but what is my problem? Do i need a new rear end, or do I just need to replace a couple parts like pinion bearing or racer or whatever. A friend was saying could be a dried seal causing it to heat up then lock like that.
    Its a 1994 Chev K2500 4x4 HD package. I believe the rear is 14-bolt, I think 4.10 gears if i remember.

I have no clue how to take apart or what I need to take apart to get down to the problem, any help would be gladly appreciated.
    1994 Chevy K2500 HD 4x4 - NV4500 transmission, towing package
    1999 Bonneville SLE

Re: HELP! --- Rear Axle Locked Up

Sounds trashed, I would opt for an axle replacement, doesn't sound like you are equiped to be doing rear end work.

I'm in the same situation right now. After I swapped in a rear from a junk yard, it began to overheat at the pinion bearings.
    It didn't lock up, but when my mechanic opened it up, the oil was burnt and the front pinion bearing was locked up and spinning in its race.
    I am hoping that replacing the pinion bearings and the seal will do the trick. Otherwise, I'm screwed big time. Again.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

ya sounds trashed to me.... have you checked the oil in the axle when it started making that noise? it might have ran outta oil from a slow leak over time. but it would be easier to go buy a complete rear axle from a frontend damaged truck. find your RPO number in the glove box should be like GU* and thats the ratio you have, unless someones switched gears of course.
    97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

I would agree, your best bet is to get a complete axle.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.