GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Dash lights not working on 94 silverado

This is a discussion on Dash lights not working on 94 silverado within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; While I was leaving work the other day I hit a pot hole in the road and the dash lights ...

Dash lights not working on 94 silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    While I was leaving work the other day I hit a pot hole in the road and the dash lights turned off. Heater controls also go out when I turn on the park or head lights. Ive checked/changed the fuse, new dimmer switch and checked light bulbs in the cluster and nothing as changed.

Its obvious something was knocked loose when I hit that damn pot pole.. Not too sure where to go from here but some pointers would be much appreciated. Having to use the interior light to see the speedo is getting old fast lol.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: Dash lights not working on 94 silverado

It's *usually* the headlight switch that has gone bad in this case.

Richard

i had the same problem on my truck. after days of searching i pulled the front marker light out and there was a wire that was grounding on the frame. quick wire repair and never had an issue again. good luck

Heater and lights are two seperate circuits, so your problem is either a shorting out wire (grounding) or a bad/loose ground connection. Inspect all 4 corners as well as under dash / steering column for loose wire.
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

If it was a front marker light grounding out wouldnt that make it quit working as well? I looked around under the dash for any wiring that looked out of place. Unfortunately the previous owners hand they're hands in there and made a mess of it. Although I did pull out the cluster and checked for power at the harness side plug and there is 12v in almost all of the pins. Could it be the cluster itself is no good? One of my old hondas had an issue like this and I changed all the bulbs with no luck. Ended up being something wrong with the cluster since replacing it fixed it.

No room for my brilliance Honey Bear's Avatar

Check and see if the wiring to the cigar lighter in the ashtray is pinched. Sounds weird but it has happened to me more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    you're a big paul bunyan lookin mutha fvcka.. i'd be scared to tell you not to pee in the middle of the back yard and not to leave your beer cans in the shower

Finally got some time to take a good look at the truck today. Pulled the grill and inspected every inch of the lighting harness, under the dash, cigarette lighter, ect. Found no shorted out wires and even checked the chassis grounds for proper grounding.

Is there any method to check the cluster itself for proper grounds and power?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Bear View Post
    Check and see if the wiring to the cigar lighter in the ashtray is pinched. Sounds weird but it has happened to me more than once.
    I'd check the cigarette lighter again, I've seen this happen first hand before.

1994 GMC SLE K2500 4X4 ECSB
    350 / 4L60E/ 14 bolt SF / 3.73 / Sony Audio / Cherry bomb / AR Wheels / KL-78's / LED's

God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy!

I already pulled the tray out and followed the wires in the harness and they are not pinched, burnt or bare.

Since the lights went out when I hit a bump in the road its prob a loose connection somewhere. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the dash or know where I can find a good one online?

As far as the ac heat controls on a 93-94 style truck there is a square wire connector with about 4 or 5 wires in it behind the ashtray and mine was melted inside causing intermittent no power to the ac controller. I cut it out and used butt splices to reconnect the wires.
    95 K2500hd Ext 454 4L80E
    95 K1500
    93 C2500 6 lug
    88 C7000 Tiltbed 366 5 spd 23,900 GVW
    95 Beretta 2.2 5spd, 32mpg !!

Alright checked over almost every piece of wiring in this flippin truck and still nothing. No burnt or melted wirin. All the connecrtions at the plugs under the dash are clean and connected.

Can anyone tell me how to hard wire the dash lights pretty well had it now..
    Even a wiring diagram for the cluster plug would help tremedously.

Or even where can I find a factory service manual for a goodd price?
    Last edited by enjoithis; 02-20-2011 at 06:50 PM.

I have the exact problem with my 93 blazer . Now this might be a backwoods kinda solution but have you tried to drive through another pot hole? when all els fails recreate the problem..I'll let you know once i have tried the box behind the ashtray.