If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

chevy/gmc truck bed questions

This is a discussion on chevy/gmc truck bed questions within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a few questions about 88-00 chevy/gmc truck beds. -Is the location of the wheel well on a 88-00 ...

chevy/gmc truck bed questions

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a few questions about 88-00 chevy/gmc truck beds.
    -Is the location of the wheel well on a 88-00 dually truck bed the same on a 88-00, 1500-3500 non-dually truck bed?
    -Is the location of the, bed to frame-rail bolts on a 88-00 dually bed the same on a 88-00, 1500-3500 non-dually truck bed?
    Im trying to build a custom topkick pickup truck and want to use a regular truck bed to get all my body lines, lined up right. I would just use a dually bed, but cant find one, in my price range for the life of me. thanks, Clayton

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: chevy/gmc truck bed questions

Here it is in a nutshell. As long as you're talking same body style - 88-98 (GMT400, or "OBS") - They swap around the same as long as bed length is the same. A dually bed is nothing more than a longbed that has had the sidewalls chopped out for tire clearance, and holes drilled for the dually fender extensions to bolt up.

What you will find is that a Topkick, being a medium duty truck, has nothing in common framerail wise with regular pickups. The wheelbase is different and the frame rails are straight instead of tapered, flat instead of having any kind of upkick past the rear of the cab, and are narrower - typically on 34" centers as an industry standard for aftermarket work beds.

Wheelbases on the medium duty trucks tend to be 4" longer from the start - for example a regular cab longbed would be 131.5" wheelbase; a medium duty shorty truck would be 135.5". Then they add 2' for the next size, 159.5", 2' more for 183.5", etc.

It can be done, and has been many times, just takes some fab work. Find out your wheelbase (will be printed on the SPID label inside the glovebox with your RPO codes) and go from there. You'll either be adding some length to the bed, making something to fill the gap, or shortening the frame/driveshaft/etc. all of which have been done. You'll also be making your own bed mounts.

If it were a 3500HD the dually bed would be too wide as the cab & chassis rear end is 8" narrower than a regular 1 ton dually rear; I've seen some people take a non-dually longbed and add flares to it instead of dually fenders. Looks goofy but is the correct width. You might say to yourself, "I could narrow the bed" but then it would be narrower than the body, and look like a stepside. My plan for one would be to narrow the dually flares instead, 4" each, not easy but do-able - and then widen the wheel tubs inside the bed for clearance. Your Kodiak rear end may be wider so this may not be an issue; dunno.

Did I blabber on long enough for ya?

Richard

I know about having to do some fab work, im gonna shorten the frame. And I know it won't bolt right on, that's why I was asking about the compatibility between both beds. I will send you some pics of a couple I have seen.

i work at uhaul and we rent 24' & 26' topkick truck that have 454 fuel injected motors in them, the manufacture date on them is 1999 & early 2000. but they have the interior/dash of a 88-94. and the cab style of a 88-98. what type of wiring is under the dash? what year range? is there a way to look at the harness and find out? thanks, clayton