If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

using oil 08 sierra 5.3

This is a discussion on using oil 08 sierra 5.3 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I did a search and couldn't find any previous threads on this. As the title says..my truck is using oil ...

using oil 08 sierra 5.3

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I did a search and couldn't find any previous threads on this.
    As the title says..my truck is using oil between oil changes. There are no puddles under the truck and it isn't smoking at start up or under acceleration.
    A coworker has an 08 silverado and he told me that the 5.3's that switch to 4 cylinders use oil.
    Is this true or urban myth?

2500 6.0 vortec

Re: using oil 08 sierra 5.3

Well most ls motors go through about a quart an oil change. How much are you losing?

2500 6.0 vortec 6in skyjacker lift with keys on 16in eagle wrapped in good year kevlar 285, LPP LT's, gmpp cam, efi live tuning software, true dual flowmaster 40 series Circle D 2500-2800.

what oil are you using? my 4.8 uses a quart every 5-6000 miles using mobil one synthetic.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

I'm using mobil 1 dyno oil. 5w30. I'm using the oil change monitor to do my oil changes and I'm using a quart / quart and a half between changes. If this is the norm I can live with it.
    My buddy that has the silverado said he changed to syn and hasn't used any.

oops. double tap.
    Last edited by 86IROC; 02-16-2011 at 11:25 AM.

dang my 2000 has 170,000 miles and doesnt use any oil.

My 00 5.3 has 198,000 and uses about a quart inbetween oil changes, about 3-4K miles. I figured this I could live with, hasn't gotten any different in 4 yrs!
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

Has anyone ever found out why the 5.3's use oil? Seems kind of strange..

Mine used oil, but the fixed orifice PCV and baffles in the LH valve cover were all plugged up, so it was essentially siphoning oil into the intake. It then promptly burnt it off during startup with a nice blue cloud.

~45000mi at the time.

Valve cover was replaced and intake cleaned under warranty. It now consumes less than 1/4qt in 4000mi.

Vette guys run catch cans on the PCV line to keep small quantities of oil out of the intake. Apaprently small quantities getting up there are the norm.

A quart and a half seems a little high.

Transgo HD2 | Magnaflow DI/DO | CAI | BlackBear Tune| Dual Optima Red Tops: 2000 Cold Craking Amps | Denali Projectors |

Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Mine used oil, but the fixed orifice PCV and baffles in the LH valve cover were all plugged up, so it was essentially siphoning oil into the intake. It then promptly burnt it off during startup with a nice blue cloud.

~45000mi at the time.

Valve cover was replaced and intake cleaned under warranty. It now consumes less than 1/4qt in 4000mi.

Vette guys run catch cans on the PCV line to keep small quantities of oil out of the intake. Apaprently small quantities getting up there are the norm.
    Mine has 50K on it but it doesn't puff blue on start up.
    I'm going to write the mileage down when I change the oil the next time and when it's down a quart..I'll take it from there. thanks for the replies.

First of all I wouldn't go by the oil life monitor. Those things can read 0% anywhere between 3000 and 8000 miles, maybe less, maybe more, just depends on what it feels like. Its just a guide, its not set in stone, so just stick with the tried and true 3 month 3000 mile oil change and you should be good to go. Depending on your driving if its all highway adjust accordingly, maybe run it 4000 miles.

Still we need to know specifics. X amount of oil consumed in X amount of miles. All engines burn oil, I don't care what engine it is. Some burn so little it doesn't register enough to even matter and some will burn a quart every thousand and not have a single mechanical issue. My 95 will burn a quart in 2000 miles and my 99 uses a quart about every 4000 miles. My ****s old and tired, I would be more worried that something was wrong if it didn't burn a little oil.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

The OLM is not a bad way to go.
    The whole 3 month or 3,000 mile deal is a thing of the past from years ago. With the new systems on engines, and oil that is years ahead of what it used to be you can get 10,000 miles out of a good conventional oil now. If you don't believe me get a used oil analysis. Google Blackstone Labs they are a real popular choice.
    Right now nothing in my sig burns any oil. Some do some don't. (like said before you will always have oil burning, sliping past the rings getting sucked into the intake, ect.. but for some it's a very small unnoticeable amount.)

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by kcb37 View Post
    The OLM is not a bad way to go.
    The whole 3 month or 3,000 mile deal is a thing of the past from years ago. With the new systems on engines, and oil that is years ahead of what it used to be you can get 10,000 miles out of a good conventional oil now. If you don't believe me get a used oil analysis. Google Blackstone Labs they are a real popular choice.
    Right now nothing in my sig burns any oil. Some do some don't. (like said before you will always have oil burning, sliping past the rings getting sucked into the intake, ect.. but for some it's a very small unnoticeable amount.)
    let me tell you if you were a gm tech and had to keep ripping out the 3.6ls in the traverses to change timing chains because people go by those stupid oil life monitors you wouldnt say they are good. gm even has a reprogram out to lower the mileage for the oil life.

1999 tahoe limited. DD (sold) replaced with 09 crew cab.
    1988 gmc rcsb winter/plow truck
    1995 gmc ecsb project truck

I don't give a damn who you are or what you say if you have to scrape the oil out but it tests good, that doesn't make it still good. Just change the **** on a normal schedule and you won't have any issues. Like I said, tried and true. I don't care if the oil is kryptonite infused, run it 10k and its going to break down, its going to make sludge, and its going to be consumed to some extent by the engine. Changing it at 3000 miles might mean you are throwing away oil thats still good but does it really make sense to run it until the oil is no good and has contaminated the engine? When is the last time you heard of major engine failure being caused by over maintaining it? Just saying.
    Last edited by oldred95; 02-16-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

2500 6.0 vortec

Theres no sense in running your oil that long. Id rather spend the 25 bucks on a oil change then the 1500 on a motor.
    Last edited by 6.0vortecchevy; 02-20-2011 at 12:17 PM.

2500 6.0 vortec 6in skyjacker lift with keys on 16in eagle wrapped in good year kevlar 285, LPP LT's, gmpp cam, efi live tuning software, true dual flowmaster 40 series Circle D 2500-2800.

My last truck was an 07 NNBC 5.3, it started burning oil about 60,000 miles, never any power lose just the add oil light would come. I took it to the dealer and they ran an oil consumption test. It came back to burn 1 quart every 1,000 miles which as I learned is within GM regs. About 96,000 I took it back again and it burned a little more than the first time, so the dealer rebuilt the whole top end; new pistons rings and the works. It stopped burning oil until around 107,000 and I called the dealership and they told me that GM had found the actually problem with the 5.3s, that it has something to do with the active fuel management, when it kicks down to 4 cylinder mode it burns a little oil. They told me to bring it back and they would repair it under warranty. One of my co-workers ended up buying it from me before I got it fixed so I bought me a new NNBS CC with 6.2 vortec. My dad has an 07 NNBS 5.3 185,000 and it has burned 1 quart every 4K since 90K with no other issues.

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

There is actually a bulletin out there for oil consumption on the 5.3.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    There is actually a bulletin out there for oil consumption on the 5.3.
    Got a link?
    I was talking to my friend with the Silverado that switched to syn and his still isn't using any oil.
    I'm going to change mine next week and record the mileage. I'll keep ya posted.
    For the record..I change mine every 5000 kilometers...

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

Here ya go.

2008 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2534528
    #10-06-01-008A: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) ( Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Sep 28, 2010)

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2008 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)
    with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

This bulletin is being revised to update the Condition/Cause/Correction sections, add 4WD labor time and add information about replacement of spark plugs if necessary. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
    Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.
    Cause

This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.
    Correction

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important: It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

1. Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.
    2. Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).
    3. Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.
    4. Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

Object Number: 2474205 Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
    5. Remove the AFM valve (1).

Object Number: 2474207 Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
    6. Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 Nm (20 lb ft).

Important: Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.
    7. Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.
    8. Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.
    9. Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

DEFLECTOR-OIL PRESS RLF VLV (quantity of 3 per order)

88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804)

CLEANER, F/INJR 16 OZ LIQUID POUR (Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner)

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J7555*

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder

3.5 hrs

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder (4WD)

4.5 hrs

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder (G8 Only)

10.5 hrs

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast