GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

insight on why 5.7 vortec intake gaskets all fail?

This is a discussion on insight on why 5.7 vortec intake gaskets all fail? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; can some shed some light on why every 96-00 2500 classic me and my buddy's have had the intake gasket ...

insight on why 5.7 vortec intake gaskets all fail?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    can some shed some light on why every 96-00 2500 classic me and my buddy's have had the intake gasket goes bad? never had a problem with the old girls 89-94
    ive heard things like gm overtightened? used sealant instead of gasket on front and rear of intake?

he's talking crazy about getting a f250 need some answers haha
    Last edited by chevyike; 02-20-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Re: insight on why 5.7 vortec intake gaskets all fail?

stock intake gaskets are plastic with rubber inserts and break over time as the engine cycles hot/cold.

the upgraded gaskets are metal with rubber inserts. i rarely hear of them breaking compared to the stock gaskets
    SOLDFlowmaster Super 44, no cats, TBIchips tune, e-fans, underdrive pulleys, Ultimate TBI.
    Alpine CDU-9886, 12" Dayton HO, PG RSD 6.5" comps, RF P500.2, and RF P1000.1. 791xv Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnTruck93 View Post
    stock intake gaskets are plastic with rubber inserts and break over time as the engine cycles hot/cold.

the upgraded gaskets are metal with rubber inserts. i rarely hear of them breaking compared to the stock gaskets
    yup
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

It's What Lurks Within...

The style of intake gasket they used is a piece of crap is the simple answer. There is nothing else to it. Vortec small blocks weren't the only engines that have problems. GM 3.1/3.4 and 3.8 V6's all have intake gasket issues that are just as bad or worse. It's the cheap plastic gasket that just degrades and then starts to leak. People blame Dexcool too which as far as I am concerned is just crap. The intake gaskets I have changed myself were failed from heat/cool cycles...... not been eaten away.

Change them with a decent brand "Problem Solver" style gasket and forget about it. Compounding the problem is that even if changed you still are dealing with trucks that at the newest are like 11 years old. The TBI's like to leak too. Every TBI truck I have ever owned has had intake gaskets done on it as well.

* And you got two answers in the time it took me to complete mine, lol*
    Last edited by Badass69; 02-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

getting an F250 isnt that crazy. depending on what year he would be getting a better truck. brand loyalty is retarded.

we are not ford people around my neck of the woods, fathers grandfathers all were gm people around here we live right by gm, so ford is not a option

It's What Lurks Within...

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
    getting an F250 isnt that crazy. depending on what year he would be getting a better truck. brand loyalty is retarded.
    Highlighted for clarity. Agreed.

Basically GM used **** ass gaskets. They probably saved pennies per truck by using a cheaper gasket, but in the long run cost themselves and a lot of buyers a lot of time, money, and headaches in the long run.
    Last edited by Ghastlyone; 02-20-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

IMO buy one with 100K or less miles, 75K or so - look for signs that the gaskets have NOT been done yet, and that they have NOT started leaking yet. Do the gaskets yourself. That way you know for a fact it has not been driven around with coolant mixed into the oil, shortening the life of the bearings.

That's my 2 cents. Each Vortec small block-equipped truck I looked at last time I was truck shopping, had the gaskets already done, which I do not see as a plus. It means I have no idea how long it was driven while leaking, how much hidden damage is done to the engine that I won't find out about until I'm the sucker stuck with it. Could start knocking tomorrow, could last 5 years, no telling.

They're very strong engines, the two big downfalls being intake gaskets, and the lame poppet valve injector setup - both easily remedied, just costs more than you'd like it to. FWIW I know several people with 300K+ on their original Vortec 5.7 without a rebuild, just intake gaskets; I have a friend with 550K+ I sh!t you not on his original Vortec 5.7 with no rebuild.

Me? I bought a truck with a TBI 5.7 instead. Just did the intake gaskets myself at 158K miles. They leaked external to the engine instead of inside of it as well - which is what I'm used to seeing. TBI intake gaskets -usually- tend to leak outside the engine only; Vortec's tend to leak inside and mix with the oil. Bad scene.

Richard

I agree with the brank loyalty thing, but I much rather do a simple intake gasket swap then have a spark plug shoot out of the hole like the 5.4's and 4.6's where it's easier to remove the cab then do it with the motor in the truck. I tuned up my neighbors 4.6 F-150 for him a few months ago and I would rather do my truck twice then do that job again. I will give Ford the definite advantage in the diesel department up to the stupid 6.0 change in 2003, but I will take a gas burning GM truck over a Ford all day every day! Just one dummy's opinion!

All vehicle manufacturers were required to discontinue using asbestos gaskets somewhere around 1994-95 and the newer gaskets deteriorated and leaked. The gasket MFR then changed the design. The type of coolant used has no effect on the gaskets.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

someotherguy: thats odd, I've done two vortec intakes and both leaked coolant out the back of the intake.

BTW, I've rebuilt more Super Duty front axles than vortec intakes. Every brand has there down falls.
    Selling a front Chevy Dana 60, 5.38s welded, $1000 never run, PM for more
    1992 K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel/4L80e/4.10s (sas with Dana 60 just sitting around waiting for a rainy day)
    '84 K10, 6" Tuff Country, now 1 ton frame swap and Cummins swap have begun
    Veteran of Afghanistan (Army SGT)

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Oh I'm not saying all of them will leak into the engine; just seems like way more of them do, than don't. I've seen way too many sludge-filled Vortecs from failed intake gaskets, had way too many people call me looking to buy a complete running swap-in engine because theirs is knocking with relatively low miles (when I ask if they had intake gaskets fail they said yep, engine filled with coolant), I've looked at parts trucks for sale cheap because of ruined engine from intake gasket failure...etc.

I've had a bunch of examples of TBI intake gasket failure where they just leak out the front, usually driver's side front corner right down the front of the head. That's how mine failed, too.

Richard