If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

engine oil for 2011 trucks

This is a discussion on engine oil for 2011 trucks within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Just bought a 2011 5.3l 1500 4x4. Trying to figure out what oil I will use. Have always used 5w-30 ...

engine oil for 2011 trucks

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Just bought a 2011 5.3l 1500 4x4. Trying to figure out what oil I will use. Have always used 5w-30 Valvoline, but not sure I can in this new truck. Starting in 2011 Gm requires a Dexos 1 oil. Most oil companies don't seem to have this rating. Any Ideas on this standard. Valvoline and Amsoil do not have this standard, and so far I can't find a oil at Meijer that does. So what are you 2011 guys using. Will non Dexos 1 void my warranty?
    thanks

Re: engine oil for 2011 trucks

After some research , found the following oils are certified
    -Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic
    -Penzoil Platinum 5-30
    -Quaker State ultimate durability
    Looks like the oil has to be synthetic.
    Last edited by alancamby; 02-22-2011 at 02:56 PM.

In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar

i run Mobil-1 5w-30

2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

I just got a 2011 also and when i was picking it up the dealer wanted to sell me for a discount a bunch of oil changes.Of course i said know and he said well if u do it yourself u have to come to the dealer and buy the oil from us because it is different type of oil.I said ok (with a smirk).I know i can get it somewhere just haven't looked into it yet.But i think it is a full synthetic oil.Sorry i wasn't much help.lol.

What they are saying is in a pinch you can put conventional oil in it but they don't suggest running it any longer than absolutely necessary. Dexo's from what I understand is a semi synthetic. I'm guessing they are going this route to try and cut down on all their cam and lifter and other valve train concerns. Mobil 1 will work just fine though. Be sure to buy it in 5 quart jugs at walmart, its cheaper. Last time I caught it on sale I got it for 4.20 a quart.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

I have not found a semi synthetic oil that meets Dexos 1 yet. All have been full synthetic. Please tell if you know one

I run Mobil 1 EP in almost everything I own, for the fact that I heard 2 years ago that Mobil changed their regular mobil 1 formula to a semi-synthetic *conventional base stock and synthetic base stocks* to be cheaper after other oil manufacturers won the ability to call their blends Full Synthetic. Then Mobil 1 called their original formula Mobil 1 Extended Performance.. So I rather not take the chance in my opinion and just get the EP for piece of mind.

HTH,
    Charlie
    1968 Chev C10 SWB Stepside *sold 5-2012*
    1968 Chev C10 LWB Fleetside *sold 5-2012*
    1994 Chev K2500 Ex Cab Short Bed Fleetside *not driving much but will be driving more soon*
    2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali *purchased 2-7-2014 to replace my old dd of a 96 Acura Integra RS*

In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar

regular Mobil 1 says "full synthetic"

2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

Valvoline durablend semi synthetic has been recently certified, as has fully synthetic obviously.
    1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB. 4.3L 5sp and tons of chrome. Beautiful to look at, miserable to drive

1999 OBS Tahoe. Wait4Me tune, COMP 1.6 rockers, CAI, Titan 18's, Cranked and 2in block, Custom Pioneer Touchscreen, 2 12" Pioneer Subs

Quote Originally Posted by 92chev View Post
    Valvoline durablend semi synthetic has been recently certified, as has fully synthetic obviously.
    can you find me a link to Valvoline having dexos certification. All i can find is articles that state, "Valvoline says no to dexos". looked all over their site with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by WildChevys View Post
    regular Mobil 1 says "full synthetic"
    Look at the post from 92chev, there was a lawsuit that gave the Semi-synthetic to be called full synthetic because they synthesized the conventional base stock with some synthetic base stock and since it was synthesized they can be called Full Synthetic. It was apparent that Mobil changed their original Mobil 1 formula back in late 2005 early 2006 because my 2nd or 3rd oil change when I used the regular mobil 1 on my 2005 Pontiac GTO *yellow, m6, I miss this car but had ignition switch issues that no dealership could fix at all*, the ls2 developed a ticking valve and was apparent until I switched over to using m1 extended performance as well as bobistheoilguy's forums was stating that the regular m1 was a blend *for cost cutting purposes* and the original formula had changed names to Extended Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 92chev View Post
    Since the competitors had gotten the win to use the Full Synthetic branding on their blends, Mobil followed suit for the regular mobil 1. Sad and misleading in my opinion but it is better to run the Extended Performance or look into Amsoil if you want a true Full Synthetic Oil. I just cannot see running motor oil for 12K, but I have seen the oil tests with the extended performance and amsoil by just changing the filter ever 5 - 6K, freshens the oil back up again!

HTH,
    Charlie
    1968 Chev C10 SWB Stepside *sold 5-2012*
    1968 Chev C10 LWB Fleetside *sold 5-2012*
    1994 Chev K2500 Ex Cab Short Bed Fleetside *not driving much but will be driving more soon*
    2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali *purchased 2-7-2014 to replace my old dd of a 96 Acura Integra RS*

I dont know that I have any paperwork saying Valvoline has been Certified. I spend my winters as a tech at sears and our "big news" recently was that Valvoline had been certified. Being Valvoline is the only oil we use in bulk it was kind of a big deal. Allowing us to do oil changes on new GM's
    1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB. 4.3L 5sp and tons of chrome. Beautiful to look at, miserable to drive

1999 OBS Tahoe. Wait4Me tune, COMP 1.6 rockers, CAI, Titan 18's, Cranked and 2in block, Custom Pioneer Touchscreen, 2 12" Pioneer Subs

Well I found out today that Valvoline is not dexos certified. I received a email from Valvoline that they are not dexos certifed. they meet dexos specs with their durablend ,but they do not pay for the certification.

I thought there was a law suit against vehicle manufacturer say that if they told you to had to run type x oil and filter or it would void the warranty then they had to provide the oil changes during the warranty period? Seems like I read that some where

Quote Originally Posted by acman74 View Post
    I thought there was a law suit against vehicle manufacturer say that if they told you to had to run type x oil and filter or it would void the warranty then they had to provide the oil changes during the warranty period? Seems like I read that some where
    called "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act". Valvoline mentioned this in the email.

Quote Originally Posted by alancamby View Post
    Well I found out today that Valvoline is not dexos certified. I received a email from Valvoline that they are not dexos certifed. they meet dexos specs with their durablend ,but they do not pay for the certification.
    Interesting. Certainly not what I was told. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for the info

I have used Lucas Synthetic oil in my last truck (99 Silverado 5.3Ltr) and would like to continue using it in my new truck (2011 Sierra 6.2Ltr). Except the owner's manual states you must use a DEXOS1 approved oil, which I believe are Penzoil, Quaker State, and of course, AC Delco. A Lucas rep told me that their oil meets and exceeds the DEXOS1 standards, but because they have not "purchased" the rights to use the DEXOS name, they could not use the symbol on their products.

What are others using for engine oil? Are you sticking to the DEXOS1 products to avoid warranty issues, should one arise?

I recall seeing on Mobil 1 web page that they had 2 or 3 oils that were Dexo's certified. I recall one of them being one of the 5W30's.
    Take a look at there site see for yourself.
    As for other oils, can't help ya there.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Please support America, buy American products.

Need to find a Dear Abby/Ann Landers forum and go there to talk about trucks

Thanks for the link listing dexos brands. There are more than I thought.