***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Quick Connect fitting leak on intake Manifold of 5.7 Vortec.

This is a discussion on Quick Connect fitting leak on intake Manifold of 5.7 Vortec. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well last weekend I noticed that I had a leak at the quick disconnect fitting for the hot side heater ...

Cool Quick Connect fitting leak on intake Manifold of 5.7 Vortec.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well last weekend I noticed that I had a leak at the quick disconnect fitting for the hot side heater hose located on the passenger side of the intake manifold directly behind the alternator. I did a good search on the problem and what I found disturbed me greatly. Apparently GM used a very poor metal for the fitting and there were more results on how to get the thing out after if broke off in the manifold than anyone successfully taking it out and replacing it with something else. With that said I shot some PB Blaster on it every day for a week to get it good and soaked. I went to lowes and picked up a 5/8 barb to 1/2 in NTP (lowes PN A-493). Mine came out fairly easy it was a little hard to get loose but if you apply SLOW AND STEADY torque it should start moving. I used thread tape an a little bit dab of blue silicone to seal it up at the manifold and a worm gear type clamp at the barb end. I topped of the radiator and let I build pressure all is well.

I made this post so those that do search will get this post and hopefully they will take there time and not have to do another search on how do dig the other half of the fitting out of there manifold, and also for a part number that works.

My truck is a money pit with no bottom.
    1996 K1500 5.7 Vortec

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: Quick Connect fitting leak on intake Manifold of 5.7 Vortec.

Good advice just keep in mind many people aren't so lucky with the fitting; usually they've gone so rotten just touching it causes it to snap off. You got lucky!

Richard

I figured I did get lucky. If GM needed to use that type of fitting they could have spent $1 more and done it in a higher grade aluminum or something,

My truck is a money pit with no bottom.
    1996 K1500 5.7 Vortec

When I took mine out it came out just fine, didn't spray it with anything.
    Sometimes you just don't have problems, sometimes everything you touch breaks.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Workin on a loapy 383 Hicks-MofG's Avatar

thanks for the lowes part number needed this.
    WIP-1997 K2500 Ext Cab
    Volant CAI-BBK 85mm TB-Marine intake-32Lbs Injectors
    Patriot Vortec 185cc, Comp 1.6RR, 224/230-573/568 LSA113
    KB Pistons Thermal/Friction Coated, SCAT 383 Rotating, 6" Rods
    MSD Digital 6, HVCII Coil, 2200-2600 Stall, E-Fan, UD pulleys....

http://prosilversystems.com

I too have been lucky. I've never had one break. I will say that I do keep an eye on them and as soon as I can I change them out for the dorman version that is made of steel.
    89 GMC Stepside 2WD 4/6 drop, working on the stroker again!!!
    Y2K Chevy K3500 CCLB Dually 6.5, the Black Pearl.

Yup. About a 20% chance of breakage according to the local shop.
    My plan is to just buy a Performer TBI intake and a new water pump and not even worry about removing the QD's.

Now my question....

My radiator has a fitting below the cap. It's capped off, but the cap has some cracks in it, and it's less than 9 months old... I don't trust it.

Can't I just run the heater hose directly to the radiator? If so, which hose goes there... the one on the water pump or the one on the manifold?
    I'm assuming the one on the water pump is the return.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Quote Originally Posted by RichLockyer View Post
    Yup. About a 20% chance of breakage according to the local shop.
    My plan is to just buy a Performer TBI intake and a new water pump and not even worry about removing the QD's.

Now my question....

My radiator has a fitting below the cap. It's capped off, but the cap has some cracks in it, and it's less than 9 months old... I don't trust it.

Can't I just run the heater hose directly to the radiator? If so, which hose goes there... the one on the water pump or the one on the manifold?
    the one on the water pump would go to the rad, intake is outlet, water pump/rad is return
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    the one on the water pump would go to the rad, intake is outlet, water pump/rad is return
    That's what I though from the position of the fitting. Kinda bummed though, I was hoping to get the hose off of the intake.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Haha...... I'd like to do the opposite. The 454's comes plumbed to the radiator and I don't like it that way. I'd have to replace my water pump or drill and tap a hole in my water pump to install a fitting. I've got three problems with the radiator return. First it short circuits a Prestone Flush kit. Second, if I want to pull the cap and look into the radiator while the truck is running to watch for bubbles, or containments, check running level, or whatever, there is so much turbulence that I can't see anything. Third, it seems to surge more and possibly over flow when trying to get air out.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

Easy fix for that....

Put a couple of ball valves in your heater hoses.
    Keeps the heat out of the passenger compartment on those hot days.

Oh, you're in Michigan.... never mind... plumb that heater hose through your seat cushions!

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

Easy fix for that....

Put a couple of ball valves in your heater hoses.
    Keeps the heat out of the passenger compartment on those hot days.

Oh, you're in Michigan.... never mind... plumb that heater hose through your seat cushions!
    I plan on installing ball valves eventually, but that doesn't have anything to do with my objections to the return house going to the radiator instead of the pump. Are you trying to bypass the heater core? I thought you just wanted to avoid a leak at the radiator.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

Once I've got the system apart, I may as well add the ball valves since I use the heater a grand total of maybe 4 days out of the year, but my main issue is eliminating the rubber cap on the radiator fitting, and cleaning up the hoses.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

Once I've got the system apart, I may as well add the ball valves since I use the heater a grand total of maybe 4 days out of the year, but my main issue is eliminating the rubber cap on the radiator fitting, and cleaning up the hoses.
    So can you install a pipe plug in the water pump to seal that up if you switch to the radiator return?
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

That's how most of the pre-95 setups were configured. Hose straight back to the radiator, not the pump. Plug in the pump. I think an iron/brass plug and a quality heater hose are a lot more reliable than those crummy chinese-made rubber caps that start cracking within a year from new.

Richard

Bingo.
    My radiator was installed last Christmas and I noticed the cap was cracked months ago.

If I don't change the intake and water pump soon (I'm still debating whether to keep dumping money into this POS or just cut my losses and buy another POS) I'm going to just make my own plug out of a pipe plug and short piece of heater hose.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    That's how most of the pre-95 setups were configured. Hose straight back to the radiator, not the pump. Plug in the pump. I think an iron/brass plug and a quality heater hose are a lot more reliable than those crummy chinese-made rubber caps that start cracking within a year from new.

Richard
    When did GM switch to the radiator return?......with the change to plastic and aluminum radiators? I'm pretty sure the pump return was standard for years.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

On the GMT400 trucks from 1988-1994, pretty much all I've seen are radiator return...and I've seen a bunch!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    On the GMT400 trucks from 1988-1994, pretty much all I've seen are radiator return...and I've seen a bunch!

Richard
    Ok, I didn't think about limiting the scope to GMT-400's........ that make sense.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB