If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

O2 Sensors: AC Delco vs. Bosch

This is a discussion on O2 Sensors: AC Delco vs. Bosch within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I've got to change my O2 sensors on my truck, and I'm trying to decide if I want to go ...

O2 Sensors: AC Delco vs. Bosch

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I've got to change my O2 sensors on my truck, and I'm trying to decide if I want to go with AC Delco or Bosch. The Delco parts are about $15 higher than the Bosch parts, but this doesn't really bother me since the original Delco O2 sensors I've got right now lasted 14 years. All I care about here is durability and dependability.

Do you all have any opinions? Let me hear your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    2011 Silverado 1500 4wd Crew Cab LT, Vortec 6.2 V8, Texas Edition

97 chevy C1500 350 2wd, lifted 6" front, 4" rear, 4.11's, 15 x 10 hurricanes with 32 x 11.50 BFG all terrain, 5-chamber flo-master dumped in front of the axle.

04 Yukon XL SLT, everything except 4x4 and DVD.

Re: O2 Sensors: AC Delco vs. Bosch

Delco. Lots of complaints on here about Bosch O2's.

Go with the Delco.
    Quitters never win. Winners never quit.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Agreed with the complaints on the Bosch, all over the net you'll find reports that they read "slow" or in other words they don't respond quickly to changes in the exhaust stream.

I'd suggest AC Delco too but word from a guy that used to work at the plant making them, AC cheaped out. Their good O2 sensors were direct copies of a Denso sensor, which was a good unit, then they farmed the whole thing out to Mexico and the new sensors aren't very good. His recommendation was to buy the Denso brand. A quick check on NAPA's site shows they're cheaper than the Bosch, too. $47 pre-cat and $53 post-cat for a Vortec small block application. (or $64 for the pre-cat if you have a standard trans, or 4L80E automatic)

Richard

Not Really Bob

99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

Wouldn't surprise me if Bosch actually MAKES them for AC.

I've used several of both, and I think ones out of boxes with other labels too. Never had the first lick of trouble out of any of em. Every single one, any brand, has always worked PERFECT for me. Maybe I'm just blessed, but I wouldn't spend the extra $15, personally. Oh wait... I didn't, just the other day. (Caddy N* application)

{edit} Take that back, it was a Cheep Bland Cherokee V8. The Caddy was back about in April or so.
    Last edited by RB04Av; 03-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.

ac delco no matter what.

i got a great deal on mine. 2 front sensors for a 96-99 vortec for $70
    94 K1500 | Z71 | 14SF | 4.56 | Dick Cepek 6.5"

Quote Originally Posted by RB04Av View Post

I've used several of both, and I think ones out of boxes with other labels too. Never had the first lick of trouble out of any of em. Every single one, any brand, has always worked PERFECT for me. Maybe I'm just blessed, but I wouldn't spend the extra $15, personally. Oh wait... I didn't, just the other day. (Caddy N* application)

{edit} Take that back, it was a Cheep Bland Cherokee V8. The Caddy was back about in April or so.
    Sounds like you could have bought Denso and go them even cheaper.

I guess the guy I know that used to actually make them is full of it then. He along with a lot of other people lost their jobs when AC decided to start making these in Mexico. You can read that a couple of different ways, but none of them say "Bosch is making them for AC."

Richard

Bosch may not be making ALL of them, for ALL applications, for AC; but I'd bet money that their paths cross in places. ;)

If you go to the Mercedes or Porsche boards, or the Misstoobitchy Evo or Subie ones, I'll also bet you'll see a bunch of "don't buy that Delco crap, get the genn-yoo-wine [insert foreign name brand here] thing" from those guys. Seems like everybody has their own personal version of the "NIH" mentality. I don't buy into ANY of that.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it turned out that they were actually ALL (or alot anyway) made by the Acme Oxygen Sensor Company, and just private-labelled for the different boxes and OEMs.

Basically, a tempest in a teapot, over somthing that doesn't matter.
    Last edited by RB04Av; 03-05-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Delphi is the safer bet.

Bosch makes junk o2 sensors. I've had 2 new 4 wire sensors get flaky after <6 months on a stock 4.3. They still work, but after about 30 minutes of operation they start not outputting voltage for long periods of time, causing ecm to go open loop and throw a lean code (even though it wasn't lean at all).

Quote Originally Posted by helo View Post
    Delphi is the safer bet.

Bosch makes junk o2 sensors. I've had 2 new 4 wire sensors get flaky after <6 months on a stock 4.3. They still work, but after about 30 minutes of operation they start not outputting voltage for long periods of time, causing ecm to go open loop and throw a lean code (even though it wasn't lean at all).
    Right? You're not the only person that's reported Bosch O2's going bad like that, then add to it all the reports of people seeing "slow" response when watching the datastream.

And again, I guess my buddy that used to actually work in the AC Delco plant making O2's isn't a credible source, either.

Jeez, I thought *I* was stubborn, but I can name at least a few times where I've been wrong and admitted it. Tempest in a teapot, my ass.

Richard

Delphi = the new name for the company that now owns the brand name Delco, after GM spun it off.

Believe what you want. Don't let reality interfere. ;) I'm sure all those Mercedes and BMWs and Audis and VWs and whatever all else comes with Bosch product, all have "slow" response too. Or maybe, what's happening is, the sensor looks around after it's screwed in, and says to itself, "I don't like this brand of cast-iron here. I'm going to be 'slow' as long as I'm bolted into THIS pipe".

Go learn what an O2 sensor IS and DOES. You'll find that it's a simple chemical reaction, alot like a battery. Kind of like pouring sulfuric acid onto lead; you get a voltage. O2 sensors work a similar way.

All I'm doing is dispelling the hot-rodder myth and helping the guy make an intellignet decision, instead of relying on superstition.

Can we bring this back down to Earth please?

There is a range of quality of just about any part you can purchase. From experience, Bosch is not high on the list for O2 sensors. Bosch does not make the AC Delco or Delphi branded O2 sensors for our trucks.

If you want a good O2 sensor for your truck you could pick up a Denso sensor, which is who AC Delco copied before they shut down their plant here in the states and farmed it all out to Mexico.

Don't let reality interfere with your opinions, though.

Richard

I have used many brands and have found them all to be just fine, I just replaced the two upstream ones in my 96 Tahoe and all is fine.

Not Really Bob

helping the guy make an intellignet decision, instead of relying on superstition.
    You can help the guy make an intelligent decision by just shutting up. For what they are, Bosch sensors are way over-priced. If you can buy a better sensor for the same or less, then explain to me why you would go ahead and buy Bosch?
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

dang bob, walk into the room and slam the door why don't you.... lol

Not Really Bob

Haha, well I don't know why the guy is defending Bosch so bad. Maybe he has stock in Bosch? Maybe he walks around wearing a Bosch cap and t-shirt? It doesn't matter if Bosch works well in foreign cars, all that matters is how it works in our trucks!

I'm not "defending Bosch"; I'm opposing superstition.

How much you wanna bet that the guys with the foreign cars have THE EXACT SAME superstition about Delco sensors???? You dare go troll their message boards and find out? You gonna try and tell us that Bosch (or Denso, or WHOEVER) sensors are "slow" when bolted into GM exhaust pipes, but Delco ones are "slow" (or inaccurate, or unreliable, or whatever) when you bolt em into Volvo or Honduh or whoever else's exhaust pipes?? Go ahead, I DARE YOU. Find ANY ONE of those boards where those guys (none of whom realize that it's a CHEMICAL REACTION, like pouring vineagr onto baking soda) DON'T try to tell each other "oh I wouldn't use that domestic crap, you gotta use the original stuff or the matter will touch the anti-matter and annihilate the known universe and leave nothing but a giant black hole in your living room" or some such. Same basic drivel we see here. Same song, different verse.

You remind me of a story that runs around, about a tribe of [ethnic reference deleted to protect the guilty] who were SCARED TO DEATH of lunar eclipses. So every time they saw one starting, they all turned out in force in the center of the village, as every one's civic duty; and banged drums, shouted, ululated, did the "special" dance their spiritual leader prescribed for such occasions, had the women wail loudly, etc. After all, the reason for the eclipse was a giant frog eating the moon; and their job, as the "faithful", was to frighten the frog away. When confronted, they offered as proof, that they had been SUCCESSFUL all these years; the Moon was still there; the frog hadn't eaten it; so they MUST have been doing the right thing. And next time an eclipse started, they were SCARED TO DEATH not to try to frighten the frog away.

Yeah laugh. Go ahead. But it wouldn't be a surprise if it's true. I can't make up stuff like that, I'm not a good enough comedian.

Superstition. You too can repeat what you've "heard" endlesly without exercising a brain cell about it, and attack people who don't share your belief as "infidels" or whatever. That's OK with me. I only draw the line when I'm trying to spread common sense, and some ..... logical ..... person attacks the messenger instead of the message, and does it with that kind of drivel.

Bottom line: go ahead and buy whatever brand of sensor you want, your odds are about EQUAL with any of em.

Ol' boy is tenacious, I'll grant him that!

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast