***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Brakes pull right when pressed hard

This is a discussion on Brakes pull right when pressed hard within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 1998 C1500 2wd LWB V6. 60,xxx miles. When depressing the brake hard the truck jerks very hard ...

Compulsive Accessorizer

Brakes pull right when pressed hard

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 1998 C1500 2wd LWB V6. 60,xxx miles. When depressing the brake hard the truck jerks very hard to the right. When depressing softly, it slightly veers right. The steering wheel just jerks to the right when you hit the brakes. After a split second you can feel the left side catch and the truck goes back straight and slows normally. Now, the truck just got new fron rotors, pads, calipers, and wheel bearings. Brakes have been bled 3 times now. The truck did the same thing before and after these parts were put on. Rear shoes have also been adjusted out. What else can be going on here? This is my daily driver and I need to get this figured out fast.
    Trucks:
    1998 Chevrolet C1500 4.3L Vortec V6

Re: Brakes pull right when pressed hard

replace both front brake hoses too, might as well do the rear one at the same time.

Disconnect the power connector to the ABS module temporarily. You will lose cruise control and you will have an ABS light, but that will help narrow it down. It could be a wheel sensor, or it could be the ABS unit.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Compulsive Accessorizer

My truck is pulling to the right a bit when driving on straight roads. Is it possible that there is a front end component such as a tie rod end that is worn out causing this. Then when brake pressure is applied, said worn part shifts, pulling even harder?
    Trucks:

Had that happen to me. Right side hose was collapsed

Right: about 99.99% of the time when that happens, it's because the brake hose on the side it pulls away from, has failed.

They don't exactly "collapse", although the net effect is about the same... what they do, is rust inside the fittings where they attach to the actual hose, which have a real small hole. Eventually the hole gets plugged as the rust builds up. The first sign of the problem is that it pulls a little bit one way when you press the pedal, then straightens out (takes a short time for some fluid to get forced past the obstruction); then when you take you foot back off the brake it pulls the other way, a little less, but longer (takes longer for the fluid to ooze its way back out of the caliper so that it can release).

Replace both lines. Whatever conditions the one that failed first has been subjected to, the other has been subjected to the EXACT SAME conditions for the EXACT SAME length of time, and therefore is just about to fail the EXACT SAME way.

It is basically NEVER the ABS system, and not usually the caliper, although it can be, if either the caliper piston is stuck or if it can't slide on the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by RB04Av View Post
    Right: about 99.99% of the time when that happens, it's because the brake hose on the side it pulls away from, has failed.

They don't exactly "collapse", although the net effect is about the same... what they do, is rust inside the fittings where they attach to the actual hose, which have a real small hole. Eventually the hole gets plugged as the rust builds up. The first sign of the problem is that it pulls a little bit one way when you press the pedal, then straightens out (takes a short time for some fluid to get forced past the obstruction); then when you take you foot back off the brake it pulls the other way, a little less, but longer (takes longer for the fluid to ooze its way back out of the caliper so that it can release).

Replace both lines. Whatever conditions the one that failed first has been subjected to, the other has been subjected to the EXACT SAME conditions for the EXACT SAME length of time, and therefore is just about to fail the EXACT SAME way.

It is basically NEVER the ABS system, and not usually the caliper, although it can be, if either the caliper piston is stuck or if it can't slide on the pins.
    x2.
    If you don't have time to do it right, then you don't have time to do it twice.

01 ECSB 2500HD 4x4 6.0
    250K and runs like a new truck

Compulsive Accessorizer

Quote Originally Posted by RB04Av View Post

Thanks! What you said makes alot of sense. I will replace the hoses. I will still go have the front end checked out as well, as it pulls a little when the brake isn't pressed.
    Trucks:

As far as the pull without the brakes, it's probably not the front end, although it could be.

About 99.999% of the time, a "pull" is due to the tires.

Swap the 2 front tires and see if the pull moves.

Rear brakes can make it pull too; although that tends to be more of just a "drift" than a "pull".

Def check tie rods, pitman/idler arm, ball joints. All these can get loose, and when brakes are applied can cause one tire to "open up" (ie toe out) causing a pull to one side. But...new hoses are never a bad idea either
    1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB. 4.3L 5sp and tons of chrome. Beautiful to look at, miserable to drive

1999 OBS Tahoe. Wait4Me tune, COMP 1.6 rockers, CAI, Titan 18's, Cranked and 2in block, Custom Pioneer Touchscreen, 2 12" Pioneer Subs

Cool Re: Brakes pull right when pressed hard

my 89 2wd was doing the same thing.i chased this problem for awhile until i put left and right rubber lines in.when i would step on the brakes it would dart to the right and would still pull even with the pedal released.the fluid was being pushed into the caliper but the calipers weren't releasing due to the corrosion in the line.after the new lines were installed it worked great.good luck

definately check the muffler bearings

if its not that then i'd suspect the hoses cold have deteriorated and may be causing slight restriction in fluid. could also be sticking caliper or way worn tie rods.

could also be the atmospheric coolant generator.... kidding. only dodge's have acg's

Compulsive Accessorizer

Well, today after it pulled right and straightened itself out, I let off of the brakes and the truck continued to slow and pull to the LEFT this time...... Has to be the lines. As for the pull right when driving, it is not the tires. 4 new Michelin LTX MS2's. I checked out the front end and the tie rod end/bushing appears to be shot. I am looking into replacing the rubber portions of the front brake lines. Then replacing tie rod ends and having an lignment done. I had all 4 of the brand new michelins tested for radial imbalances. they are fine.
    Trucks: