GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

rear end change out

This is a discussion on rear end change out within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; new to the forum and i have a question hope someone can help out i have a factory 94 z71 ...

rear end change out

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    new to the forum and i have a question hope someone can help out

i have a factory 94 z71 with a 4.3 v6 just rebuilt the motor and kinda dissipointed in the truck i know with the 4.3 i cant expect much stock so i am woundering about changing the rearend out
    this is what i have its a 2004 chevy truck rearend i beleive 3.43 gears code g80
    i want to install the rearend is there going to be an issue with the frontend the only time i use 4wheeldrive is when i need it in a hole not for on the road winter or anything

also with the gears be good with th 4.3v6 any ifo would be great thanks in advance

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

Re: rear end change out

If you change one you have to change them both if you ever want to use 4WD again, if you don't you better stock up on transfer cases cause you'll need em.

Its very dangerous to run to different ratios! What was the stock ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by matt56us View Post
    new to the forum and i have a question hope someone can help out

i have a factory 94 z71 with a 4.3 v6 just rebuilt the motor and kinda dissipointed in the truck i know with the 4.3 i cant expect much stock so i am woundering about changing the rearend out
    this is what i have its a 2004 chevy truck rearend i beleive 3.43 gears code g80
    i want to install the rearend is there going to be an issue with the frontend the only time i use 4wheeldrive is when i need it in a hole not for on the road winter or anything

also with the gears be good with th 4.3v6 any ifo would be great thanks in advance
    So much wrong here...

What are your current gears? You ca't even contemplate a gear swap without knowing what you have. Odds are your 94 4x4 already has 3.42 or 3.73.

G80 isn't a gear RPO, it's the RPO for a locking differential.

GU5=3.23
    GU6=3.42
    GT4=3.73
    GT5=4.10

And your have to re-gear both axles, or destroy your transfer case, choice is yours.

called the dealer this morning both rearends are 3.73 gears they ran the vin
    so there should not be a problem switching the rearends?
    the 94 is making some noise changed fluid last week and there were some metal slivers on the magnet
    and i have this rearend out of the 04 just sitting here only has 8k miles on it

so changing gears from what i have read you have to match the front with the back other wise it will not work correct? good to know didnt figure it matterd much if you were in the mud haha
    has anyone ever heard of a z71 around this year with the 4.3 the dealer had never heard of it but its factory threw the vin
    kinda underpowered really tourque wise thats why this gear thread was started

Quote Originally Posted by matt56us View Post
    called the dealer this morning both rearends are 3.73 gears they ran the vin
    so there should not be a problem switching the rearends?
    the 94 is making some noise changed fluid last week and there were some metal slivers on the magnet
    and i have this rearend out of the 04 just sitting here only has 8k miles on it

so changing gears from what i have read you have to match the front with the back other wise it will not work correct? good to know didnt figure it matterd much if you were in the mud haha
    has anyone ever heard of a z71 around this year with the 4.3 the dealer had never heard of it but its factory threw the vin
    kinda underpowered really tourque wise thats why this gear thread was started
    So both are GT4, glovebox could have told you that as easily as the dealer. Same with Z71, it's an actual RPO, and it's in the glove box too...

RPO Z71 = shocks, skidplates and stickers, has nothing to do with engine. A 4.3L Z71 isn't that common, just means somebody wanted a V6 with the special stickers.

Your 04 rear axle will be disk brakes, so you might need to change master cylinders or run a proportioning valve.

If the ratios don't match front to rear, the tires will be driven at different speeds. It's not a matter of if it will work, as it will work, but it will make things explode as soon as the tires find traction.