***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Tire Wear, Cupping/Feathering? (pics)

This is a discussion on Tire Wear, Cupping/Feathering? (pics) within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The tires are showing signs of cupping or feathering depending on who you ask. The tires have 3500 miles on ...

Tire Wear, Cupping/Feathering? (pics)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The tires are showing signs of cupping or feathering depending on who you ask. The tires have 3500 miles on them. Tires purchased from Discount Tire.
    Recent alignment before and after the tires (slightly pulled to right after new tires were out on) I was told the alignment is perfect, and the ball joints and steering components are good. Shocks are probably original.
    The old tires had 2-3 32nds left on them and had no signs of unusual wear patterns. Tread depth was even all around.

Tires are Goodyear Silent Armor, 10-ply, "Pro-grade" I got the 10 ply cause I hate the sidewall flex which adds to body roll. Love the 10 ply, but expensive.

Any thoughts.

[IMG][/IMG]

1995 Chevy Suburban K1500, 350 TBI.
    Ultimate TBI Mod, Big 3 Upgrade, 140A Alternator, Electric Cooling Fan,

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin

Re: Tire Wear, Cupping/Feathering? (pics)

Additional info:
    Initially Discount Tire told me since I was not carrying any load per se that I should keep them filled to 40 psi.
    Yesterday I stopped by another Discount Tire to have the tire pressure checked and they told me that I should run 50 PSI and the cause of the"feathering" as he called it was due to running the tires to low.

I am at 50psi now and like the ride better.
    This is only on the front tires and the outside edge.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

Discount Tire lies like hell about alignment problems! They tell you this and that to keep you from getting it aligned and make you buy new tires long before you actually should.

First problem- Goodyears! They suck! I have never seen a Goodyear tire that hasnt done that!
    Second- Drop em down to 35-40 psi. If you dont tow or haul anything then you dont need 50 psi.
    Third- Get it aligned! That wear is caused by toe issues. Who told you it didnt need an alignment?
    Fourth- You really dont need a 10 ply. An 8 ply would have been plenty sufficient on your truck. You have a truck, if side wall stiffness and body roll is a problem you should probably invest in a sports car. I have an 04 2500HD on 305/70R16 BFG KM2 8 ply radials set at 35psi....I drive that bitch like a bat out of hell. Corner it hard and fast and have never had sidewall stiffness be a problem. If you want to counteract body roll, get an aftermarket stiffer sway bar and get one for the rear too.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

Tire pressure. You need to bump up the pressure in front tires. In both my trucks I run different pressure front to rear to get full tread pattern on ground.
    Old trick I learned yrs ago was to get some chalk, like the big ones used to play on sidewalks with, put a lot of chalk on the tire tread, then gently drive/roll truck across a piece of construction paper (walmart poster board) and look at how much prints. Adjust up or down to get even wear.
    Too much air wears center only. too little wears outside edges only. You could always go to a different shop for an alignment check too.
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

I bought 2 sets from them and never again will i go back. I had them rotate tires once when I got my 2000 and the tires on it at the time were 6yrs old and weather checked they said I had to buy new ones soon. Well I replaced them in the fall of 09. I agree about the alignment thing with them, that's why they dont do them just to get you to buy tires more often. My tires are have 9/32nds left that was as of yesterday. I know my tires were cupping on the inner edge so i had it aligned but I have 2 bad hubs so that is probably causing it too. This weekend both hubs are getting replaced along with pads and rotors.

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
    5.3L 4.10's G80

Thanks for the replies.
    I usually have an alignment performed prior to getting new tires.

I rechecked all the tires and it is also on the rears though very slight. It is also on the inner edges of the tires. So it stands to reason Tired Farmer that the pressure may be a bit low. I like the idea of the chalk, great tip, thanks.

Gonna have them rotate the tires and see if I can have them "Road Force balance" (or whatever it's called) for free.

Ordered a set of Gabriel Max Control shocks for the front. I know they're not Bilsteins, but they gotta be better than ones with 177k miles on them.
    And I could afford them at $55 per shock.
    Last edited by cmobile; 04-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

Gabriel makes nice shocks. I would still take it and get the alignment at least checked, its free at most places.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

I took it back to DT and had them rotate and balance. I did not get the road force balance despite my plea

Just before that I took it to the shop next door (brand new "state-of-the art") for an inspection and alignment check.

$19.99 for the alignment check. Upon investigation they determined that the pitman arm and the idler arm joints were loose and they could not do the alighment. The called me over while it was on the rack and showed me the play. Hmmm, sure enough.

No alignment until those two items are replaced to the tune of $472 Yea right.

So I'll change them out myself then get the alignment checked again.

Oh and since they did not "check" the alignment I asked for a freebie, which they obliged.

Thanks for the responses

~C
    Last edited by cmobile; 04-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Worn shocks can cause that kind of wear. My truck had the same issue with the BFG AT's with one side being worse. After rotating you could see the feathing on the edges of the front tires after a thousand miles. Rotated the tires about 3 times and finally replaced the shocks and sure enough the worse side shock was completely shot. After replacing the shocks I rotated the tires again and after 5,000 miles there is no sign of the cupping on the edges of the tires.

I had 2 sets of those tires. I kept them at 60 PSI and rotated on a regular basis. I had about 60,000 miles out of each set and the tires never did this. If they are just wearing on the edges then pressure could have something to do with it.
    2004 Silverado 2500HD 4X4, reg cab Long bed. 253000 miles
    Thanks for the sig 454SS

If you don't rotate them or don't rotate them enought then they will do this.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

x2 on the shocks gm shocks are only worth about 30k before they start doing this to the tires, your going to need to get rear shocks too.
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body