GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Replacing hinge pins on 99 Silverado NBS

This is a discussion on Replacing hinge pins on 99 Silverado NBS within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I've read the sticky and looked at the videos for replacing the hinge pins on the OBS trucks with the ...

Replacing hinge pins on 99 Silverado NBS

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I've read the sticky and looked at the videos for replacing the hinge pins on the OBS trucks with the single long pin on each hinge but I haven't been able to find anything about doing the NBS with the short pins (2 pins per hinge). Does anyone have any info on doing these? It appears that the nbs doesn't have a hinge spring? Unless I didn't see it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
    1999 Silverado LT 1500 Ext Cab Short Box NBS 5.3 Vortec 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT Rear "Super Springs" Blackbear Mailorder Tune

Re: Replacing hinge pins on 99 Silverado NBS

I finally found some info on how to do this on another site (dieselplace.com) as well as a manufacturers site for an aftermarket pin replacement system.

Anyway turns out it's dead easy...

Locate and unplug the connectors for the wiring to the door. On mine there was 2 plugs behind the trim on the driver's side down by where your left foot would be and 1 up in the fuse panel. Once unplugged pull the wires out through the hole. Now undo the 3 10mm bolts. 1 on the strap and 1 on each hinge. On the NBS trucks there is no hinge spring so you don't have to worry about that. Once the bolts are undone and the wires are free just lift the door off and set it aside. It will slide right up and off no problem. I did it by myself. No jack needed.

The factory pins need to be cut off. I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and just cut the bottoms off. Once cut off just bang the old pins out, bang/pry the old bushings out. Install your new bushings and pins. Lift the door back on (again did it by myself no problem, dropped right on). Reconnect your electrical stuff, put your trim back on and you're all set.

One word of warning I read in the info I found and make sure you remember this because it will be easy to forget. Make sure you at least feed your electrical connectors back through before you close the door. If you don't you'll ruin the connectors for sure by smashing them in the door. The temptation is to test the door as soon as you put it back on. All together maybe 1 hour by myself for both doors. The garage wanted $220 parts and labour to do this. Cost me $20 for parts.

Hope this helps someone.

Dave
    1999 Silverado LT 1500 Ext Cab Short Box NBS 5.3 Vortec 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT Rear "Super Springs" Blackbear Mailorder Tune

Thanks for the write up. I am sure it will help someone, when they go to do their doors.

sweet, I have never done a gmt800, good info
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Any link in the dieselplace.com and manufacturers site for an aftermarket pin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
    I finally found some info on how to do this on another site (dieselplace.com) as well as a manufacturers site for an aftermarket pin replacement system.

Anyway turns out it's dead easy..........

The temptation is to test the door as soon as you put it back on. All together maybe 1 hour by myself for both doors. The garage wanted $220 parts and labour to do this. Cost me $20 for parts.

Hope this helps someone.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JZ57_CN View Post
    Any link in the dieselplace.com and manufacturers site for an aftermarket pin ?
    No it's a secret...

Here is the link to the manufacturers site. Not a bad looking product. A little pricey. I'm not sure where they come up with their figures for the cost comparison.

http://www.totalauto.com/nonmenu/education

Here is the link to the dieselplace.com thread.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...ght=hinge+pins

Dave

this should be a sticky
    98 Chevy RCLB K1500, 5.7, 4L60E transgo shift kit, vette servo, 14 Bolt SF, 3.73s, Blackbear 89 tune

Quote Originally Posted by mainechev View Post
    this should be a sticky
    I copied a link to this thread into the door pin sticky

I have to do my drivers door the bottom as got some play in it. Nice write up I'll maybe tackle it if I'm up to it.

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
    5.3L 4.10's G80

Quote Originally Posted by skierZ71 View Post
    I have to do my drivers door the bottom as got some play in it. Nice write up I'll maybe tackle it if I'm up to it.
    Honestly it's dead easy.

If I was to do it again I would look for the replacement pin kits that are threaded on the bottom and have a nylon lock nut. Just seems like they would be more solid then the ones with the c-clips. I've seen them at Rock Auto and some of the other on-line parts places.

Dave

Not Really Bob

Sticky material...
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

Thank you so much!!! I just did this today! so simple the first time I did this i did it with the door on. VERY HARD!!
    | 1999 | Chevrolet Silverado | 1500 | Z71 | 3 Door EXT Cab | 5.3 Liter | 141k | Daily Driver |

Supporting Member
    Seoul (Yongsan Army Garrison), South Korea

Glad I found this thread. Need to fix my 99 Yukon.

Scott

So is there videos? Or pics?