***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Changing Engine Oil 2011 Silverado

This is a discussion on Changing Engine Oil 2011 Silverado within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I upgraded from my 07 to a new 2011 Silverado in Feb. My question is, on these new trucks, the ...

Question Changing Engine Oil 2011 Silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I upgraded from my 07 to a new 2011 Silverado in Feb. My question is, on these new trucks, the manual seems to suggest that I wait until the truck reads no oil life remaining on the dash before getting my oil change

I've always had my oil changed every 3k miles. I know some go 5k.

Right now I've got 4,600 miles on my truck and oil life still reads 40%...So what should I do?

Thanks.
    2001 Z71, 4.8L, 3.73 gears, Rancho lift, Rsx shocks, 16X10's American Racing, 305/70/16 goodyear wrangler MT/R's

Re: Changing Engine Oil 2011 Silverado

just change it and reset the oil life.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Different arguments all the way around....if it's still on the original oil, I'd definitely change it now. Other than that, do what floats your boat, you can't go wrong really as long as you change it when it says, or sooner.

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

And this may be a dumb question, but is synthetic oil the best thing you can do for your truck?
    2001 Z71, 4.8L, 3.73 gears, Rancho lift, Rsx shocks, 16X10's American Racing, 305/70/16 goodyear wrangler MT/R's

Quote Originally Posted by chevyhawg View Post
    And this may be a dumb question, but is synthetic oil the best thing you can do for your truck?
    again, you'll get every answer under the sun here, certainly doesn't hurt, just do some research, but it's really just a never ending debate, if you feel the price difference is worth it, go for it, but the more research you do, the more it will just run you in circles

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

Remember you must use a Dexos approved oil in your new 2011 GM vehicle.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

I use Mobile 1 in my HHR and I wait till the oil indicater gets down to 10% or less before I change the oil. Interesting enough, this is usually around the 7,000 -7,500 mark which is when I would change the oil anyway.

Changing oil every 3k is overkill for any oil, unless your truck is driven hard everyday in crappy conditions.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

I have found the following information in your owner’s manual on pages 10-9 and 1-34. This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed. On some vehicles, when the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on to indicate that an oil change is necessary. See Engine Oil Messages on page 5-47. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600miles).

It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. For vehicles without the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message, an oil change is needed when the OIL LIFE REMAINING percentage is near 0%. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

To reset the Engine Oil Life System on most vehicles:
    1. Display OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC. If the vehicle does not have DIC buttons, the vehicle must be in P (Park) to access this display.

2. Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the DIC, or the trip odometer reset stem if the vehicle does not have DIC buttons, for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.

On all vehicles, the Engine Oil Life System can be reset as follows:
    1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.

2. Fully press the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.

3. Display OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC. If the display shows 100%, the system is reset.

From this information, it appears that you should be fine by following the Oil Life system. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

With a quality synthetic that is DEXOS spec, I would follow the OLM to about 10%.

OLM is giving a best guess at when ZDDP will be used up from the oil by monitoring multiple engine operating parameters.

My OLM hints about 10,000km (6000mi) OICs in the winter, about 7000mi OIC in the summer. I run GL-5 or DEXOS spec synthetic at a change interval of around 4000mi-5000mi.

I bought a 2005 Cobalt new, and have followed the oil change indicator. Usually falls somewhere between 7000 - 8000 miles when oil life considered gone. Car has 150K on it now and runs like it did new, uses no oil, etc. I USUALLY use synthetic, but not always. If you use a quality synthetic, I believe you could exceed that and have no issues.