If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Irregular idle and dies when comes to a stop

This is a discussion on Irregular idle and dies when comes to a stop within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 88 chevy 5.7 few thousand miles on rebiult motor fires right up every time but idles irregularyly and dies often. ...

Irregular idle and dies when comes to a stop

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    88 chevy 5.7 few thousand miles on rebiult motor fires right up every time but idles irregularyly and dies often. If i keep my throttling it will run and warm up sometimes idles ok after few min of that but not long, runs great once i get going but sometimes dies after my 45 min no stop all highway ride into work at a stop sign but fires right back up.. Checked for vacuum leaks on hoses using starter fluid and waiting for rev or bog down got nothing replacing egr valve this weekend check engine light comes on when running down hwy after few min egr code is the cause... but i was told not the idle problem any ideas....

Re: Irregular idle and dies when comes to a stop

Also how do i check the fuel pressure to make sure thats not the issue?

rednecklawyer

This is exactly what my '88 was doing. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, O2 sensor, IAC valve, water pump, and fan clutch (OK the last two could not have had any effect, except that, with shot bearings, the water pump was further reducing the idle.) When all this just made the problem worse, I was finally able to convince a service rep to really, really try to find the problem. My engine was a Jasper rebuild with approx. 96,000 miles on it. The distributor was shot, and the coil was bad. But, it was also not making consistent vacuum (which the techs say was caused by the bad distributor) and there were two cylinders down about 30 lbs. compression from the rest. The cam also seemed to possibly have a flat lobe, as there was a dead miss at idle (when you could actually get it to idle). I, too, had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running at a stop sign, and it got to where it would die even on the open road, at speeds of 65 mph or so, when I let off on the gas. Too expensive to fix, especially since it was already a rebuild, so I'm putting in a new GM Goodwrench 350.
    Chevy makes a fine truck, but a really bad airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by KH88CHEVY View Post
    88 chevy 5.7 few thousand miles on rebiult motor fires right up every time but idles irregularyly and dies often. If i keep my throttling it will run and warm up sometimes idles ok after few min of that but not long, runs great once i get going but sometimes dies after my 45 min no stop all highway ride into work at a stop sign but fires right back up.. Checked for vacuum leaks on hoses using starter fluid and waiting for rev or bog down got nothing replacing egr valve this weekend check engine light comes on when running down hwy after few min egr code is the cause... but i was told not the idle problem any ideas....
    EGR valve will cause irratic idle....my 91, 5.7 litre ran the same way, got EGR code, replaced EGR valve and all is well.
    YOU need a fuel pressure gauge to check for fuel pressure...but that is not your problem IMO.

thanks for the info I bought the bebuilt motor and installed it my self with a few guys help together we got it back together and running and i thought it was just the timing off so i would adjust it every once and a while and just keep babying it but it has gotten worse in the past few weeks and cant really pin point anyone thing when I bought motor i also replaced plugs wires cap rotor distributer coil o2, knock, and temp sensors and rebiult the tbi along with few other small unrelated things... Well my first thought was to just run out and buy fuel pump, new inj., idle air control module, egr valve egr vacuum seloniod and cross my finger when i crank it up... but i dont want to waste the money if there is something i am over looking...

gonna start with egr tomorrow thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qafred View Post
    EGR valve will cause irratic idle....my 91, 5.7 litre ran the same way, got EGR code, replaced EGR valve and all is well.
    YOU need a fuel pressure gauge to check for fuel pressure...but that is not your problem IMO.
    The EGR valve was the problem thanks for help...