***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greasing slip yoke

This is a discussion on Greasing slip yoke within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok so I want to grease my slip yoke to try to get rid of the clunk noise. I am ...

Registered User thebigcheese109's Avatar

Greasing slip yoke

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok so I want to grease my slip yoke to try to get rid of the clunk noise. I am kind of confused about how to get everything apart. I took the 4 bolts out by the U joints in the rear. What do I do next. Do I just push the shaft towards the front of the truck or is there something else I have to do. Also what exactly do I mark so that it will line up again when I put it back together. Anything else? Pics or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Greasing slip yoke

Curious to see some good pointers and feedback to as I will be doing this to mine and a friends soon. Mine doesn't really need it done but my friends chirps every time he accelerates from a stop. He had no idea what was causing it until I mentioned it's a common thing on our trucks. Now that he knows there is a cure, I'm now on the hook to fix it for him as he's not the type to crawl under a truck and turn a wrench, lol.
    Last edited by Tweaks; 06-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

just mark the u joint and yoke be fore you take it off and put in nuetral then slide it foward now you will have some fluid come out so have something to

catch it in.

if you jack the back up high enough nothing should leak out

I am having trouble getting the drive shaft to push forward. I have sprayed it with WD40 a couple of times and pried on it but I can't get it to come loose. Any Suggestions.

Thanks for the help

I've been doing my research on this. Apparently a racquet ball shoved in there cures the problem permanently. Only trick is to jam the thing in there and then go about getting the driveshaft back on now that there is literally a powerful spring pushing back at you and not allowing the driveshaft to go back up. I'd love to use a racquet ball instead of grease but I'm thinking I will just go the quick and easy grease route when I get around to this. I did several things to the truck this afternoon but lost the motivation to do this fix unfortunately.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

o come on guys a ball... just grease.... if its clunking then replace the U-joints and problem solved! dont do a just grease or shove a ball in there the problem is still there. its just normal wear and tear and they are cheap! they like 10-30bucks brand new! dont wait till that sucker breaks and then your driveshaft breaks free and starts beating the crap out of the bottom of your truck hardcore taking out everything it touches! you know how fast that thing spins and thats just a bad thing waiting to happen!!!
    well the enter hanger or carrier bearing could also bea problem. best to inspect them all and if in doubt replace them anyways since they dont cost to much either well worth the insurance! just look at how many miles are on your truck... thats probably the original parts ;) its due
    97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

I fixed the problem. I was able to get the drive shaft to push forward but it was so rusted that I had to put a pry bar between the u joint and the rear end and push on it with my foot while I held on to the rear axle. I then put anti seize (heard that it worked better than grease) on the slip yoke. Now the noise is gone. I just hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigcheese109 View Post
    I fixed the problem. I was able to get the drive shaft to push forward but it was so rusted that I had to put a pry bar between the u joint and the rear end and push on it with my foot while I held on to the rear axle. I then put anti seize (heard that it worked better than grease) on the slip yoke. Now the noise is gone. I just hope it stays that way.
    Anti-seize is not a lubricant. Some of it is actually abrasive.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

Quote Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
    Anti-seize is not a lubricant. Some of it is actually abrasive.
    Works great to fill the lands and grooves of the yoke and tailshaft to eliminate the clunk. Grease just pushes out of the way.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 06-26-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by addiction2bass View Post
    o come on guys a ball... just grease.... if its clunking then replace the U-joints and problem solved! dont do a just grease or shove a ball in there the problem is still there. its just normal wear and tear and they are cheap! they like 10-30bucks brand new! dont wait till that sucker breaks and then your driveshaft breaks free and starts beating the crap out of the bottom of your truck hardcore taking out everything it touches! you know how fast that thing spins and thats just a bad thing waiting to happen!!!
    well the enter hanger or carrier bearing could also bea problem. best to inspect them all and if in doubt replace them anyways since they dont cost to much either well worth the insurance! just look at how many miles are on your truck... thats probably the original parts ;) its due
    We are not talking about driveshaft U-joints, we are talking about the slip yoke... the part of the driveshaft/transmission output shaft area where one shaft slides inside of the other. Over time, the splines there become corroded and it causes a very annoying clunk/chirp that can be felt through the truck every time you take off from a stop. Simply removing some bolts to gain access to the area and hit it with some grease or apparently anti-seize prevents the two splined areas from having the ability to stick together and create that clunk. Also, and this is a common and sure fix, a racquet ball can be shoved in there instead of the grease method. It prevents the movement of the shafts and absorbs the energy of the two shafts moving much like a shock absorber so I know it sounds crazy, but it apparently works very well.
    Last edited by Tweaks; 06-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Works great to fill the lands and grooves of the yoke and tailshaft to eliminate the clunk. Grease just pushes out of the way.
    I wouldn't want the effects of long term wear done by the anti-seize.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

I wouldn't want the effects of long term wear done by the anti-seize.

Top of my list of internet nonsense for the day. Thanks for the laugh.

Top of my list of internet nonsense for the day. Thanks for the laugh.
    It has solids in it such as copper and aluminum. I've heard of glass beads being used, too. Not things I'd want in a lubricant, or in a situation with constant sliding motion.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

It has solids in it such as copper and aluminum. I've heard of glass beads being used, too. Not things I'd want in a lubricant, or in a situation with constant sliding motion.

I don't want to lubricate my slip yoke, I want to take the slop out of it. Anti-seize isn't full of acid that's going to burn the splines right off...

340,000km (~210k mi) with anti-seize in the slip yoke on the OBS, only ever need to apply it when I had the shaft out for u-joint, no slop (and no wear to the splines).

Don't use it, I could give a fvck, but it's the best solution short of drilling a tapping a grease fitting in it.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 06-27-2011 at 04:35 AM.

I don't want to lubricate my slip yoke, I want to take the slop out of it. Anti-seize isn't full of acid that's going to burn the splines right off...

While I agree that anti seize is not likely to cause problems, I disagree with not wanting to lubricate the slip yolk. It's a metal to metal contact and as such should be well lubricated at all times just like the ring and pinion, axle bearings or any other metal on metal movement area. Anti seize use to have way more copper than it does now and I use to use it to quiet noisy blower motor bearings, it would last for years. The newer stuff is not good enough in that ap to even bother as it only lasts a few hours of running time. The copper will actually act as a lubricant if there is actually any in there now. The glass beads will not.
    RandyW
    '02 Short Bed/ Reg Cab/ LS1/SS wheels,3.73 Gears

'96 Tahoe 2dr 4x4

You guys make me laugh, worried about anti-seeze, when someone suggested stuffing a plastic ball in the end of it.

1978 K20 RCLB, 400 SBC, 4-Speed, Lifted
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by BlacK20 View Post
    You guys make me laugh, worried about anti-seeze, when someone suggested stuffing a plastic ball in the end of it.
    You play with plastic racquet balls? No wonder you think that cure is way out in left field, LOL. FYI there is a well informed link on this very site about the racquet ball, do a search if you don't buy it. Don't shoot the messenger, I was just bringing it up because it came up in my thorough search of fixing this, which is what I do before I attempt anything, especially mods/repairs that I haven't performed before and will therefor be uncharted territory for me. Bottom line is that those who have stuffed a ball of some sort in there no longer have a slip yoke clunk so in my mind they are WINNING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_W View Post
    While I agree that anti seize is not likely to cause problems, I disagree with not wanting to lubricate the slip yolk. It's a metal to metal contact and as such should be well lubricated at all times just like the ring and pinion, axle bearings or any other metal on metal movement area. Anti seize use to have way more copper than it does now and I use to use it to quiet noisy blower motor bearings, it would last for years. The newer stuff is not good enough in that ap to even bother as it only lasts a few hours of running time. The copper will actually act as a lubricant if there is actually any in there now. The glass beads will not.
    Lubricated at all times like a ring and pinion? If that were the case, there would be an oiling system, or a method of delivering grease easily, integral from the factory. We all know GM did it wrong, and it's a tolerance issue.

I buy copper anti-seize.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 06-27-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Lubricated at all times like a ring and pinion? If that were the case, there would be an oiling system, or a method of delivering grease easily, integral from the factory. We all know GM did it wrong, and it's a tolerance issue.

I buy copper anti-seize.
    LOL, carry on my young friend!
    Last edited by Randy_W; 06-27-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    RandyW
    '02 Short Bed/ Reg Cab/ LS1/SS wheels,3.73 Gears

'96 Tahoe 2dr 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast