If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

5 lug rims on a full size truck?

This is a discussion on 5 lug rims on a full size truck? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 88 GMC c1500, This truck has a 5 lug rim....thought that was odd, but what ever. I ...

5 lug rims on a full size truck?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 88 GMC c1500, This truck has a 5 lug rim....thought that was odd, but what ever. I would really like to buy a spare tire & rim for it and wonder is this the same bolt pattern as an S10? Better yet anyone know what that bolt pattern is? Thanks.

Re: 5 lug rims on a full size truck?

It is not the same as an s-10. You need a 5 on 5 pattern wheel. And yes the 2wd 1/2 ton truck didn't go to 6 lug until late 99 when the body style changed.
    2004 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer 4WD 6.0L
    1985 Silverado C-10 RCSB 2WD 5.7L
    1992 Sierra 1500 2WD 5.7L
    2000 Tahoe Limited
    1999 Tahoe Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock View Post
    It is not the same as an s-10. You need a 5 on 5 pattern wheel. And yes the 2wd 1/2 ton truck didn't go to 6 lug until late 99 when the body style changed.
    x2

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Nothing weird about it either; it was a pattern used on fullsize GM trucks from 1971 through 1998, as well as on many years of fullsize vans and large cars. Hell even Ford used it on some of their large cars, amazingly enough. Didn't believe it until I saw my friend put a set of squarebody Rally wheels on his '73 Thunderbird.

Wanna talk something that looks weird, how about 5 lug wheels on the front of a truck with a 15,000 lb. GVWR? Try a 1991-2002 3500HD (GMT455, or "OBS") - while it uses the same 10 lug wheel that would go on the rear, it only uses 5 lugs in front. They're not the typical 1/2" stud you'd see on older trucks, or 14mm on the "OBS" trucks, but a big fat 5/8". I'd say history has proven that the GM engineers got it right.

Richard

Thanks...answers my question.

Yep, big ford car bolt pattern was 5X5. I almost cut the front stub from a '75 Lincoln ( same donor as my 460 engine ) for front suspension on my ratrod, but once I pulled the wheel, and saw the bolt pattern didn't look quite right, I remembered it was diffrent, and I couldn't use 5x4.5 wheels.. So it rides on a '94 Ranger front instead

The S-10 pattern is 5x4.75 same as GM cars like the Cutlass, Monte, Camaro, Corvette... You get the idea. If you want to see wierd back in the mid 90's Ford tried a 7 lug rim. Yes folks thats right 7 lugs and it was a colossal failure! There was no aftermarket support for rims and brake rotors were almost 2x more money than the 6 or 8 lug versions. I remember reading in truck mags were you could buy 6 lug conversion kits to allow your Ford to fit any 6 lug rim.

Massey
    A Veteran is some who at some point in his or her life, wrote a blank check to the government for any amount up to and including my life.

Remember Freedom is never free.

KG7NQY

Wow I just did some more reading and found that Ford brought back the 7 lugs in the late 90's and are still making them for the "light" 3/4 tons or Heavy halfs.

Just another reason Ford is Factory Ordered Road Debris

Massey
    A Veteran is some who at some point in his or her life, wrote a blank check to the government for any amount up to and including my life.

Remember Freedom is never free.

KG7NQY

my 88 chevy c1500 is 5x5.5

Quote Originally Posted by 88cheyenne350 View Post
    my 88 chevy c1500 is 5x5.5
    That's not right.

5x5.5 was used on Old Ford in the 30's and early 40's and VW ran it for a long time on the Beetles, before switching to 4 lug

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

5x5.5 is not right you measure from center of one hole to the outer edge of the opposite. or center to center I forget now, each bolt pattern gets measured differently though it seems, one is center to center across from each other, one is back to center across. etc.

Chris

88 K1500 RCSB work in progress.