GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Wiring new back up lights & truck bed lights

This is a discussion on Wiring new back up lights & truck bed lights within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just ordered a set of LED back up foglights for my truck ('11 Chevy Silverado) along with a harness ...

Wiring new back up lights & truck bed lights

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just ordered a set of LED back up foglights for my truck ('11 Chevy Silverado) along with a harness that has an in line relay already to install. According to my understanding fromtalking with the salesman all I will have is two wire to deal with...the hot and ground. I was going to hook them to my auxillary cable that is next to my fuse box under the hood leaving just the ground to do. Can it be this simple?

Also, I have some LED strip lights to go in my truck bed under each side rail. They come with just a power and ground wire and switch.

Since all of these lights won't bepulling many amps I thought I could hook both of these applications up to my auxillary cable for power.

Again, can it be this simple? If so, since the truck bed lights won't pull many amps, do you think they would need a inline fuse or a relay? Would just a inline fuse be all that's needed as protection or would I need anything?

Thanks.

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

Re: Wiring new back up lights & truck bed lights

Everything needs protection, what would happen if the wire rubbed thru on the frame somewhere. What are led fog back up lights and who sells them?

Most of the time your auxilary terminal has its own fuse, if that is the case you can take away your inline fuses all together. It is that easy! I typically run a 20 or 30 amp fuse in all my accessories (and I have a A LOT of wired accessories). LED's barely take any power so a 20 would be more than enough for both of the lights your gonna hook up, if you want to add more to the auxilary post, just add a bigger fuse later!

Use a relay better to have it on and not regret not having it later on

Okay. I got the lights installed and wired up. I ended up just wiring them off of the battery direct since most of the wiring diagrams I looked up showed a typical install of wiring them directly off of the battery. So far everything works just fine.

I do have one question though. I took the factory metal toggle switch off and installed a black rocker switch that has a blue LED on it. I had to add the ground to the rocker switch since it has the LED light and for it to work. When I got it all wired in and the switch worked fine and the LED light on the switch came on. Here's the problem...the switch still works just fine, but the LED on the switch is not coming on. Is it just simply a bad ground issue? From my understanding the new rocker switch will work just fine without the ground on the switch it's just that the LED light on the switch won't come on if it isn't grounded. Is this correct? If the rear lights come on fine with the switch, is it just a bad ground on the switch causing the LED on the switch to not light up?

Quote Originally Posted by MAG 00 View Post
    Okay. I got the lights installed and wired up. I ended up just wiring them off of the battery direct since most of the wiring diagrams I looked up showed a typical install of wiring them directly off of the battery. So far everything works just fine.

I do have one question though. I took the factory metal toggle switch off and installed a black rocker switch that has a blue LED on it. I had to add the ground to the rocker switch since it has the LED light and for it to work. When I got it all wired in and the switch worked fine and the LED light on the switch came on. Here's the problem...the switch still works just fine, but the LED on the switch is not coming on. Is it just simply a bad ground issue? From my understanding the new rocker switch will work just fine without the ground on the switch it's just that the LED light on the switch won't come on if it isn't grounded. Is this correct? If the rear lights come on fine with the switch, is it just a bad ground on the switch causing the LED on the switch to not light up?
    I have the same issue with my rocker switches, if you figure it out let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by baldd86 View Post
    I have the same issue with my rocker switches, if you figure it out let me know.
    Out of curiousity, what brand and model switch do you have?