GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 Silverado brake line replacement ?

This is a discussion on 2000 Silverado brake line replacement ? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I tried searching but didn't find too much I'm going to change all the brake lines do to rust. It's ...

2000 Silverado brake line replacement ?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I tried searching but didn't find too much
    I'm going to change all the brake lines do to rust.

It's a 1500, reg. cab,long bed 4x4

I put it up on jack stands
    Will I need to drop the gas tank or lift the bed ?

I bought the complete stainless steel pre-bent lines

Didn't want to bend my own

Any advice ?

Re: 2000 Silverado brake line replacement ?

Ttt

I did this last year and created a thorough write-up with photos. I opted to lift the bed because it's quick, easy, and provides great access to running the rear line. Plus, I replaces all the rubber hoses with Russell stainless braided lines at the same time so it made swapping those in a standing up affair instead of lying on my back on the cold ground sort of thing.

Getting the lines out of and back into the ABS module requires carefully selecting which lines to remove first as there isn't much room in there. I ended up cutting a 14mm wrench in half in order to be able to fit it in there and turn those nuts on the lines.

Also, the lines coming from the front and down the left frame rail, under the cab area, can be a bit of a tight fit and start to look like spaghetti. Just take your timesnaking those through and if a fastener breaks or things don't go back together exactly as it was, don't worry too much about that. Zip ties can help you out and for the most part mine went back together well enough with the various fasteners and plastic line holders.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Tweaks
    Do have a link to your write-up

I also would like to see link to your thread

Superclarke, I linked it in a PM reply for ya.

Anything, here it is:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...ul-w-pics.html

As always, you are more than welcome to send me a PM regarding anything specific about this or questions you have. I am a great resource for this project.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Tweaks
    I found your post
    I got the lines changed
    I followed your post except I also pulled the inner fender and lifted the drivers side of the cab.
    This gave me much more access to run the lines

Did GM think having all those retaining clips would keep those crap lines from falling apart
    If they spent the money on stainless brake lines and less on the clips,I wouldn't be looking forward to another weekend,on my back with rust falling in my eye's.

I found the front rubber hoses,metal ends, were about to rust through and had to order them.
    With the few minutes I had,decided to check the bleeder valves
    Not surprising,front rusted off

Will see what this weekend has in store for me

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    Tweaks
    I found your post
    I got the lines changed
    I followed your post except I also pulled the inner fender and lifted the drivers side of the cab.

Did GM think having all those retaining clips would keep those crap lines from falling apart
    If they spent the money on stainless brake lines and less on the clips,I wouldn't be looking forward to another weekend,on my back with rust falling in my eye's.
    Wish I would have thought of raising up that left cab side. Guess I was scared to venture into uncharted territory, but that fishing of the lines under the cab and over the frame there was the biggest PITA of the project so you were wise to go further than I did and make it easier on yourself.

I fully agree that GM really dropped the ball on safety with the materials used to house the fluid that stops these trucks. I tell everyone I know that has these trucks to be very aware that at any moment they could have no brakes and find themselves in a bad situation, and to keep an eye on the corrosion on their brake lines. I see every other brand of car/truck/suv out there rocking some sort of painted or coated line and they never have a problem, but GM used uncoated steel of some sort and in the right environment, they quickly rot away. I'm just happy that some company out there was nice enough to create pre-bent lines out of superior stainless steel so that those of us that want to permanently repair this oversight by GM are able to do so.

In hind site,I should have lifted the whole cab up
    Disconnect:radiator hoses,steering column, wiring harness,e-brake cable,probably a few other things.
    Whole brake line job would have been done standing up and all those clips would have been easy

Aren't some of those plastic clips pathetic? I think I got most of them to hold the lines in place but wasn't too upset that some didn't survive the project and that I ended up with a couple extra parts, lol.

Any tips for doing the front lines?

Like just about everyone else, my 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 has rusted brake lines. The DF line rusted out by the front wheel back in 2010, and spliced in a piece of line, but a few weeks ago, something popped by the ABS block, but luckily I was in my driveway this time. Anyways, I ordered new lines from inline tube and have been taking my time installing them, since it is motorcycle riding weather. :)

I cherry picked the two easy lines on the rear end, but have been dying since then. I struggled for a day with the rear before reading Tweak's mini-guide. Eight bolts and *poof* the bed can be jacked up. I was able to get the rear line one, but unfortunately, I must have bent the line a bit while trying to jam it through the other day, as I had to force the line back to hook to the ABS modulator, and now it appear to be against the bed between the cab/bed. I may have to remove the bed again to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    Anyways, I'm now struggling to remove the old lines and fish new lines through. (Well, I can just cut the old lines to remove them.) I want to jack the driver's side of the cab up, but I'm not sure how. I removed the three body mounts that I found on the driver's side, but when I start to jack the cab, the whole truck lifts. Do I need to remove the three from the passenger's side too? It looked like there might be a set of body to frame bolts up by the bumper too.

I dread trying to bleed the brakes, as I'm sure that my bleeder valves will probably snap off like you guys. I didn't change the rubber lines too, but I'm wondering if I should.

Heck, I've been driving my truck with only R-1-3 in the crappy 4L60e for over two years, so I am tolerant of GM junk, but I am disappointed with the metal chosen for the brake lines. At least I expected the transmission to fail.

Any tips for getting the front lines changed would be greatly appreciated, as I am sick of working on my truck in the driveway!

I unbolted the cab mounts on the drivers side and used a 2x4 vertically on my jack
    You can only lift it so far before you start to rip out wiring and such
    I stuck pieces of wood to keep it up while I worked on it.
    I don't know how it could have been done without raising the cab.
    If you have a way to lift the cab, I would look into pulling the cab off.
    Snaking the line's will be so much easier

Hi Anything,

I'm starting on this job, have a 2000 std cab. Removed the two mounts under the cab and one at radiator support, but it doesn't budge - am I missing something? Any advice you can offer would be great, thanks!

Do the new lines really have to be run exactly the way the old lines were run?

Steve, I would say yes, Chevy didn't run them that way for no reason. Good luck with your change out. I did my 96 Tahoe and had to drop the tank, the front lines off the ABS valve were the toughest and doing a selective change is good advice from Tweaks.

Whoa! Glad I found this thread! Wish I found it before I bought the truck! Still sorting out the 2000 2500 I bought, and GM agreed to authorize a local Chevy dealer to do the ABS Service Bulletin for my brakes which activate the ABS at low speeds (kinda scary).

Anyway, the dealer called and said that FIRST they'd have to fix the brakes with NO PRESSURE before they can do the ABS. I said huh? I drove it there with a hard pedal, and it blew a line in the dealer lot? Drove down there, and sure enough, blew a line right under the driver's cab, where (4) lines with coil wrapped around them run along the frame.

Q1: What is the coil wrap for, and why doesn't Rockauto stock hard brake lines?

Q2: Read all thru this thread, is it necessary to lift the bed to access the ABS module?

Q3: Didn't read a good rationale as to WHY custom-fabbed brake lines can't be run aong a more accessable path than stock, unless the ABS unit is buried, and the lines need to run where they are to get to it.

Q4: I did not authorize the dealer to do it yet, if it's a full hard-line replacement, I have a different independent shop I would rather use. Can anyone who has done this guess what the dealer might charge for this job? No WAY I'm doing it myself, but I am ABLE, and want to educate myself for when the dealer inevitably tries to snow me.

Whoa! Glad I found this thread! Wish I found it before I bought the truck! Still sorting out the 2000 2500 I bought, and GM agreed to authorize a local Chevy dealer to do the ABS Service Bulletin for my brakes which activate the ABS at low speeds (kinda scary).

Anyway, the dealer called and said that FIRST they'd have to fix the brakes with NO PRESSURE before they can do the ABS. I said huh? I drove it there with a hard pedal, and it blew a line in the dealer lot? Drove down there, and sure enough, blew a line right under the driver's cab, where (4) lines with coil wrapped around them run along the frame.

Q1: What is the coil wrap for, and why doesn't Rockauto stock hard brake lines?

Q2: Read all thru this thread, is it necessary to lift the bed to access the ABS module?

Q3: Didn't read a good rationale as to WHY custom-fabbed brake lines can't be run aong a more accessable path than stock, unless the ABS unit is buried, and the lines need to run where they are to get to it.

Q4: I did not authorize the dealer to do it yet, if it's a full hard-line replacement, I have a different independent shop I would rather use. Can anyone who has done this guess what the dealer might charge for this job? No WAY I'm doing it myself, but I am ABLE, and want to educate myself for when the dealer inevitably tries to snow me.

Quote Originally Posted by brider View Post
    Nope. I only needed to lift the bed to get access to the rear brake link that runs from the ABS module to the rear T. so much easier once the rear is lifted. I wasted plenty of time before lifting the bed.

I suppose you could route them a different way, but there's not much room elsewhere. On my 1500 Silverado, that ABS block is jammed up there and the routing is crazy. It is obvious that GM installed the brake lines before the body was installed. That pretty much screws us owners in this case, since the brake line material was so bad.

My boss just had a local shop do the replacement job without pre-bent lines and it was over $1200. I'd hate to see what a dealer would charge.

BTW, I did finish up my line install and it was one of the worst things that I've ever had to do to a vehicle. Holy cow it was difficult to get the brake lines to the front installed! It was all like a giant three dimensional puzzle. I was only able to jack my cab up a little bit, but it was enough to help.

I also had one caliper with a frozen bleeder that I had to replace (driver's side). I could not get that bleeder out, ever after removing it from the truck and trying extractors on the broken part. It must have been heat-cycle welded to the caliper.

In retrospect, I may have paid somebody to do this job for me, as it sucked that badly.