GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

** RTV Sealant or old fashioned gasket?? **

This is a discussion on ** RTV Sealant or old fashioned gasket?? ** within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Which do you, or would you use for the differential gasket replacement?? RTV sealant like permatex or a solid gasket ...

Can't afford a FSC : l eddieY87's Avatar
    OzzModz Classifieds

** RTV Sealant or old fashioned gasket?? **

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Which do you, or would you use for the differential gasket replacement??

RTV sealant like permatex or a solid gasket from an auto store which is better if either and why

Thanks
    1997 Chevrolet Suburban k1500 4X4 LT 5.7 3:42 G80 (285/70/16) 130k Green
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Y87 3.8 3:42 G80 (285/35/18) 66k . Sunset Orange Metallic ($FOR SALE$)
    2006 Honda Trx250Ex black

Re: ** RTV Sealant or old fashioned gasket?? **

RTV is what I see used more often nowadays, not sure why really tho.

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

The big 3 use permatex sealants/adhesives on their cars. The permatex rep that came to our school said there are only 3 products they don't sell to the big 3. They use it on transmission pans, valve covers, oil pans etc. The military uses their Right Stuff silicon on their 6.5 diesel engines and don't use gaskets.

He said red RTV is old technology (acidic, stinky, and corrosive) and when in doubt use Ultra Grey or Black. I've used grey and had very good luck with it on everything I've used it on, including my diff cover.
    Last edited by MrGiggles; 08-08-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    1995 Chevy Cheyenne 2500
    RCLB 4x4 (Prev. 6.5 diesel)
    NV4500, 14 bolt FF 3.73
    Rebuilt 350 4 bolt main
    Summit Racing K1102 Cam
    906 Vortec Heads
    Edelbrock 1406 600CFM Carb

If it came with a gasket I will only use a gasket. That being said both of mine have gaskets on them.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

i use both
    '00 Chevy Silverado Z71, 233k miles
    '97 Ford F250 ECLB, 7.3/ZF5. Tow Pig
    '98 Chevy K1500 ECSB, SAS - Sold
    '94 GMC C1500 RCLB, DD - Sold
    Some guys think that if you got a cooler car that your better then other guys; Those guys are right. - Adam Farrara

most unique username

Twice now I've had diff covers not seal with RTV. Even with proper prep and application. Not sure why - they were aftermarket covers tho. The gasket for my 8.5 was less than $5 and is sealed up perfectly now.

I used an OEM gasket. Nothing worse than RTV all over the place on a repair job.

The big 3 use permatex sealants/adhesives on their cars. The permatex rep that came to our school said there are only 3 products they don't sell to the big 3. They use it on transmission pans, valve covers, oil pans etc.
    That statement can easily be misunderstood, to mean things it doesn't. That makes it sound like they don't use gaskets and that's just not the case. Remember you were listening to a company representative that wants to make his company sound the best possible. GM, Ford and Chrysler use lots of products from lots of companies.
    driz likes this.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

I can tell you being in the military I have not seen any part of a 6.5 put together without a gasket. With the addition of silicone maybe.
    As far as for you.
    Either one will be fine.
    I personally have done both, but only used silicone maybe 2 times on my 96. The next time you take it apart it easier to clean with nothing but gasket.
    I have used a roll of cork and cut my own, have not had a leak yet, and it just peels off, and I put a new one on.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Ultra grey/black on all my diffs currently.
    SOLD: 04 z71, 3200 circle D, longtubes, Corsa sport, TBG 4l60e, 93 BB tune, 4500K HIDS, and other aftermarket stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 03SMURF View Post
    you have the meanest sounding 5.3 I have ever heard in person

I use blue RTV on differential covers

Turn your question around backwards and see what answer come out:

What would be the advantage of including a piece of paper in the middle of the spooge between the 2 metal parts?

If you can come up with that, then you'll have your reason for using a gasket.

Personally, I can't. I just use the sealer.

I always take the loose part in this case the diff cover and clean it up real good, put a very thin layer of gasket sealer, apply the paper gasket and let it sit for a little while usually while I am cleaning the surface of the diff. Then the gasket is stuck to the cover not the diff. That makes future services easier. If I am working on something old and the surfaces look a little suspect than I will use a VERY thin layer of permatex on the diff as well. If there are minor imperfections I feel the permatex can fill them and seal better. I think the installation looks a lot cleaner when only the edge of a gaskets is visible (if anything). I hate it when a bunch of RTV is bulging out.
    2004 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer 4WD 6.0L
    1985 Silverado C-10 RCSB 2WD 5.7L
    1992 Sierra 1500 2WD 5.7L
    2000 Tahoe Limited
    1999 Tahoe Limited

All Black or Nothing AllBlkdOut07's Avatar

Last edited by AllBlkdOut07; 08-09-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    eddieY87 likes this.

4WD/Motive 4.88s + TrueTrac | 3" BL + Rancho 4" | Polished S/S Waterjet SkidPlate | 20x10 FUEL Nutz
    35" NITTOs | Fab'd Lightbar/Bed Tire Mount | Copper Anodized KING Coilovers + Rear 2.5" Piggyback Resi's

I always use a gasket and I spray it with copper spray and let it get tacky. Never had luck with RTV and hate the look of it oozing out the sides.

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RB04Av View Post
    Turn your question around backwards and see what answer come out:

What would be the advantage of including a piece of paper in the middle of the spooge between the 2 metal parts?

If you can come up with that, then you'll have your reason for using a gasket.

Personally, I can't. I just use the sealer.
    A gasket is a whole lot more than just a piece of paper....

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
    The big 3 use permatex sealants/adhesives on their cars. The permatex rep that came to our school said there are only 3 products they don't sell to the big 3. They use it on transmission pans, valve covers, oil pans etc. The military uses their Right Stuff silicon on their 6.5 diesel engines and don't use gaskets.

He said red RTV is old technology (acidic, stinky, and corrosive) and when in doubt use Ultra Grey or Black. I've used grey and had very good luck with it on everything I've used it on, including my diff cover.
    im i can tell you first hand the marine corps uses whatever pos silicone is the cheapest...we silicone anything we can because we dont get fancy gaskets. engine oil, tranny pans..sandwich plate between tranny and transfer...geared hubs and diff housings. pretty much if fuel doesnt go through it and its not something like a head replacement silicone goes on it.

i've used silicone on my rear diff before but waiting for the initial cure time so i can tighten it all the way can take anywhere from 6-24 hours depending on how good a quality or what brand silicone you are using...and staring at my truck not being able to finish right away does get annoying.

A gasket is a whole lot more than just a piece of paper....
    Really??

The ones you get at the parts store, or take out of a stock rear, aren't anything but a sheet of paper.

Only time I use a gasket on a rear cover, is when it's one of those aftermarket aluminum ones with a girdle, and the design of it takes the extra thickness into account. The rest of the time,,,, .... all you have to do is keep the fluid from falling out from between the housing and the sheet metal. The paper adds NOTHING to that task. The sealer does all the work ANYWAY.

Really??

The ones you get at the parts store, or take out of a stock rear, aren't anything but a sheet of paper.

Only time I use a gasket on a rear cover, is when it's one of those aftermarket aluminum ones with a girdle, and the design of it takes the extra thickness into account. The rest of the time,,,, .... all you have to do is keep the fluid from falling out from between the housing and the sheet metal. The paper adds NOTHING to that task. The sealer does all the work ANYWAY.
    Obviously you don't' like gaskets, and don't use them. For those of us that do, they are not just paper....... at least not like you'd use to write on. They're closer to cardboard, or in some cases they have other materials in them depending on what they're for. My valve cover gaskets appear to be preformed silicone, or at least some sort of rubber. My transmission pan gasket is plastic, with an o-ring type material embedded in it. My rear axle cover gasket is paper/cardboard, purchased from the dealer........ there is no sealer. No sealer used on the assembly line, and no sealer used by me.

The wholesale use of RTV is for those that like to take short cuts instead of buying the proper gasket.
    Last edited by 454cid; 08-10-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

Between this and the Z-71 thread, I'm staying entertained!

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Really??

When I changed the diff fluid on mine, the gasket I purchased, definatly was not a piece of paper. Even the cheap ones are made of cork.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast