GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Coolant Leaks from 5.3 heads

This is a discussion on Coolant Leaks from 5.3 heads within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have 2 leaks on my 2000 Chevy Suburban 4x4 5.3liter. They are at the back of the engine toward ...

firemandad1975

Coolant Leaks from 5.3 heads

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have 2 leaks on my 2000 Chevy Suburban 4x4 5.3liter. They are at the back of the engine toward the firewall. They appear to be coming from the head bolts or head to block mating surfaces. It's only at the rear of the block, but leaks consistently when hot. Short of removing the heads and replacing the head gaskets, anyone have any ideas? It has over 160k miles and we are just trying to make it last.

Re: Coolant Leaks from 5.3 heads

maybe head gaskets or cracked heads.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

maybe head gaskets or cracked heads.
    I agree. There is not a whole lot to be done here other then investigating further.

Auto Zone along with the others sell a sealer you put in that is suppose to fix a head gasket leak. but that is a shot in the dark IMO.

I would bust out the Haynes, brush up on FSC, and get those heads taken off to see if the gasket just needs to be replaced.

What color is the exhaust coming out of the pipe?

There is a small metal coolant line, I think they call it a steam vent for the heads. It goes from the front of the heads to the back of the heads, its under the intake manifold and is held down with small bolts and uses o rings to seal it. I would check that out first before you put any sealer in it, or pull the heads. Its easy enough to pull the intake and check that line out first. Good luck.
    Last edited by sueto2; 08-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    2005 GMC Yukon SLT. Black 5.3. Airaid cai, Gibson dual cat back, led taillights, smoked 3rd brake light, billet grille

There is a small metal coolant line, I think they call it a steam vent for the heads. It goes from the front of the heads to the back of the heads, its under the intake manifold and is held down with small bolts and uses o rings to seal it. I would check that out first before you put any sealer in it, or pull the heads.
    IMO the steam vent would be easily traced back to the busted O-ring.

It sounds from his description it was coming directly from the head gasket.