If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1996 K1500 5.7L Engine Locked Up

This is a discussion on 1996 K1500 5.7L Engine Locked Up within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; OK so I thought I had starter issues and actually have a locked up motor, AHHHHHHHH!!!!! What have others done ...

1996 K1500 5.7L Engine Locked Up

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    OK so I thought I had starter issues and actually have a locked up motor, AHHHHHHHH!!!!! What have others done to replace or rebuild a bad motor? I'm thinking about finding a low mileage motor to get me through the winter but would really like some advice from others that have had the same problem. All opinions are welcome.
    Thanks

Re: 1996 K1500 5.7L Engine Locked Up

Not a bad idea. Should not be hard to find a low to mid milage engine around. Then plan on building one just for your truck. Doing that now with mine. The old 350 had 230k on it. Found a running 305 for $500. Did the swap myself. Have been buying all the go goodies for a while. Pick up Lingenfelter's book on modifying small block chevy engines. Their is a ton of useful info in it. Yeah it's for building hot rod engines but. It takes you thru all the aspects of a motor build. Where to find the hidden hp and torque!! Not just to throw a 60+hp cam to a 350. Roller rocker arms,exhaust, oiling system, heads, etc,etc. It's all there He even points out the best part#'s. As i said a ton of useful info. Well it was for me. Already built a smokin bad ass motor for my old iroc. Rolling 10-15mph and punch it she would go side ways. And gas milage went from 18mpg to 25mpg. That's with the 350! It had a 305 in it. Hope this helps.

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

what made the engine lock up? i assure you it didn't just decide to seize up sitting over night. was it severely overheated? ran out of oil? leaking intake gasket fill the crankcase with antifreeze? have sexual relations with a F*rd?

and yea, i'd just get a decent used engine, pop that in and while you're running that rebuild (or have rebuilt) your factory 5.7 Vortec...

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

A buddy of mine bought a f-body for $500 under the assumption it was locked up....turned out to be locked up alternator!

The oil had gas and probably antifreeze in it which I assume to be something with the intake gaskets, maybe worn out and getting worse just sitting a little more? It had been running kind of crappy for about a year and had been sitting a little more maybe driven about once a week. It had 230,000 miles on it and I had been doing little maintenance things to keep it running until I could get a little $$$ saved to do a complete engine rebuild. I've never done a complete engine rebuild before but have wanted to try. Thanks for the info guys I'm probably going to find something temporary and read Mr. Lingenfelter's book.