GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Higher output alternator?

This is a discussion on Higher output alternator? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys I want to put a higher output alternator on my truck (2001 chevy silvy with the 5.3 Z71) ...

Higher output alternator?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys

I want to put a higher output alternator on my truck (2001 chevy silvy with the 5.3 Z71) and i had a few questions..
    I believe the stock alternator is 105 amps.. Will putting a bigger alternator hurt anything on my truck, as far as electronics go? I dont want fry anything because of the higher amp output but i need alittle more juice for when my fans are kicking on and off in the hot summer temps..

Thanks guys

They're coming for us 1988 GMC 355's Avatar

Re: Higher output alternator?

No it will not hurting anything at all, many guys make this switch I believe the high Amp alternator for you truck is a AD244 but dont quote me on that.

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|
    Yes it is a 4x4, yes it is lowered

5200 lbs. at 12.7/17.0MPG
    1988 GMC SOLD

appreciate the reply.. I dont know how that part number will reference at the parts stores, i'll probly get it at adavance auto parts and install it in the parking lot.. That way if it dont fit i dont have far to go to replace it..

It fits. I have an 03 5.3 and I have done the alternator upgrade. Do a search of the forum and you will find a wealth of information about it. The only thing that changes once you do the alternator upgrade is the belt. You have to use a longer belt because the HO alternator sits up in a higher position than the old one and the old belt won't reach. Other than that it is a walk in the park. Just swap them!
    1990 C1500 Stepside 5.7 - SOLD!
    2003 Extended Cab Z71 5.3 - 3.73 rear end - 285/75/16 tires

i was just reading about the oversided belt.. My Advanced auto parts has the 130 amp for $129.99 and the 145 amp for $189.99 and i think both have a $40 core charge.. is the extra 15 amps worth $60? Also would my 01' use the same belt as your 03' after the alternator swap? if so, what part number was yours?

The bigger alternator is definitely worth the money. Output will not be near max at idle, which is when you need it most with the e-fans. Don't forget to upgrade the "big three" wiring for max performance.

I would not buy a reman from a parts store, go to a pick a part or junkyard to find one, then have it freshened up if it needs it.

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|

1988 GMC SOLD

I probly will go to a junk yard to get one if i can find one with low miles.. Where have yall got the supplys to do the big 3 mod? i'll do some searching and figure out how to do it and what is needed i just dont know where to get the stuff from..

Thanks guys

also if i get a stock alternator off of a 06' or 07' silvy will i still have to use a bigger belt? And if so can i just use a belt for 05'-07' silvy?

I got my 0 gauge wire from an audio shop, it was scrap and they sold it to me cheap.

1988 GMC SOLD

i've been looking at all the "big 3 mod" posts and im kinda on the fence about doing it just yet.. Alot of guys thing you should ude the fuse and alot say not to so i dont know.. I think im gonna swap the alternator and if it still dont quite do it for me then ill try the "big 3 mod"...

Any ideas about the belt size with the alternator swap?

bump

If you're not going to upgrade the wiring, don't bother to replace the alternator.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

dito. you must upgrade the wiring! simply big 3 upgrade. if you dont want to do the beast 0gauge ground wires then at least get 4gauge wire and run EXTRA WIRES ontop of your stock ground wires. and its also best to put the ground for the motor directly to the alternator! ive heard of some people having voltage issues because of some bracketry having thick powder coating not making a good ground connection so its always best to ground that sucker directly to the alternator somewhere!

if you do go with a larger alternator there are 2 main things to ask before buying, first do they use the same belt as your smaller alt. i know on my older 96-98 vortecs they have 2 different size belts since the smaller alt is jus tthat smaller. also the electrical plug if its the same! again on the older vortecs like my truck the plugs are different so you will also need a plug for it. im not sure about newer 2000+trucks but i know my 97vortec does for sure!
    and if you could look in your local phone book and try to find a ALTERNATOR/STARTER shop that builds these all day and go to them and see whats the best they can build you! they will use better internals that your cheap @ss autozone refurbs! my local guy has always helped me out nicely. last one i got 250amp i got for 250bucks i believe. only thing i changed with it was replaced the stock pulley for a overdrive pulley to turn the alternator faster!
    and who knows that might be all you need for yours as well. a overdrive pulley is worth every penny! they are cheap and simple. tho you might need a different size belt of course because the pulley is smaller than stock. like for mine 97vortec i had to use the smaller alt belt for the overdrive pulley and a larger alt belt with the stock pulley.
    what the overdrive pulley does is just makes the alternator turn faster.
    i actually have 2 different size overdrive pulleys for my truck. the most common steel overdrive and then a harder to find billet tiny overdrive pulley. took me awhile to find this sucker and its more hassle because its billet and in my experience I THINK it slips alot more than the steel. at least after a year of it on my truck it just started squalling when i start up the truck and also when my stereos full cranked it also made belt slip noises. tho my belt was not perfect it had afew cracks and afew small spots where afew tiny sections of the ribbs ripped off somehow. so maybe it just made noise because of old belt or smooth billet.
    eventually i will get some sandpaper and ruff up the pulleys belt area and also get anew belt as well. but for now i just slapped the steel overdrive pulley back on it.

97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

Appreciate the replys guys.. I've been doing some calling around to junkyars and i havent been able to find one yet but i will soon.. I'm deff gonna try the alternator before the big 3 upgrade.. but after i swap the alt, ill see how it does/

you should do the big 3 upgrade first! larger wires =better current flow!

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.

ok well i'll make some calls to my local radio shop and see if they have any wire to sell..

What do you guys think about this alternator? Is the company reputable?
    http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4580-c...6-05-8237.aspx

just google them. but know that everybody is going to have good and bad reviews! theres always that one guy thats pissed there alt or starter stopped working right after the warrenty expires. its life! ive had plenty of things go bad right after warrente expires.lol
    the price looks fair. 1year warrente. 105amps at idle not to shabby if real, just kinda odd how there 200amp alt also puts out 105 at idle. they say the stock is like 75amps idle.

also for wire you can also get at your local hardware store like lowes home depot or what not that has a wire rack. you want at least 4gauge. and crimp ring terminals are good but crimping can be a pain if you just use a hammer and wont look to great cosmetically. now if you have a bench vise those work GREAT FOR CRIMPING TERMINALS!!!!!! ive used the bench vise for all size wires from 1/0gauge to 4gauge, just put light tension on the crimp connection and then use your other hand to shove your stripped wire into the terminal as hard as posible and use your other hand to screw the vise tight and then when it holds itself inplace good with the wire then put your whole body on the vise to clamp it down extremely tight or even use a large hammer to close the vise to the max posible! then just unscrew it and you got yourself a SOLID uniform crimped connection, and now just slide your rubber boot over the crimped part or just use electrical tape wrapped around it.
    i used to do the hammer and concrete crimp method for larger wire but its alot harder and imposible to look decent since one side always goes off even. the table vise works perfect every time!
    also when cutting wire its best to use bolt cutters! they give you the cleanest cut on 4gauge and larger wire! cutting with normal wire cutters sucks cause its never a clean cut.lol so if at all posible measure the wires you need first and where ever you buy the wire from have them cut it to the sizes you need ;)

You sure are making this project complicated. You can get an ALL NEW 145 amp alternator from Autozone for under 200 bucks. The Duralast Gold does not use any used/reman parts. It will drop right in, just need the longer belt.

An '06 up alternator will not work. They are PCM controlled, very different then yours.

It may seem that way, i just try to have all my ducks in a row so im not running back and forth wasting time and more money than i have to.. i'm gonna do some more research on the DB electrics alternator and if the reviews are positive then i'm going that route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast