If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Ignition module gm 4 pin 7 pin ect.

This is a discussion on Ignition module gm 4 pin 7 pin ect. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Everyone always saying check resistance on ign. module... How is this done on a bench test/ out if dist.? What ...

Ignition module gm 4 pin 7 pin ect.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Everyone always saying check resistance on ign. module... How is this done on a bench test/ out if dist.?
    What pins do you check? I noticed at all forums this is the way to check if good 800 to 1500 ohm,s of resistance.
    But no one seems to know how. Take it to auto parts let them check it... only answer anyone gives.
    Any one know how to check.. Thank you.

Re: Ignition module gm 4 pin 7 pin ect.

bump te de bump bump

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Who has ever said to check the resistance on the ignition module? I haven't seen that mentioned. What is often recommended is checking resistance on the pickup coil.

To test the module you have to apply a specific voltage to certain pins, read voltages on other pins, etc. things that pretty much require a somewhat specialized piece of equipment for testing. I don't believe there is a simple off-vehicle way to check a module by simple resistance. Not trying to make it sound like the tester is a megabuck complex piece of equipment, but again, not something you'd just check resistance here and there and know if the module was good.

Richard

I frequent quite a few other forums.. all have said check pickup resistance 750 to 1200 ohm,s... module 800 to 1500 ohms.
    Was just wondering how they would go about checking? Or just spouting something out.
    I,am one of those curiosity killed the cat guy...
    Thanks for the input you are the only one at all the forums that had any input.

The published numbers on testing the pickup coil are 500-1500 ohms when using the test leads on the two pins of the connector. Then, one lead on one pin of the connector and other lead on the distributor base (which should be normally grounded) should read infinite.

I've never heard of testing a module off-vehicle using resistance values. Maybe you can, maybe not; I'm interested too and would like to see some specific information if anybody has it. Until then I'll continue believing it's likely not possible. Sometimes people see info posted and misunderstand it, then repeat it, until it bears almost no resemblance to fact or reality anymore. That's why when I post advice, I try to only post what I actually know and have done. When it's something I've seen someone else mention but I haven't personally tried it, I just about always remember to say so, that way the reader might choose to research it further since it's secondhand information.

Richard

^^^What someotherguy said... (whatotherguy was that?)

Can't really check the module itself with an ohmmeter. It's a bunch of transistors and such; it'll read different depending on what temp it is, which lead you put on which pin, what meter you use, and about a hundred other confounding uncontrollable unknowable variables. Best way to test it is to test everything else and if they're all good, then it's the module; or, take a running car and put the module under test in it, and if the car still runs, the module is good but if it doesn't the module is bad.

The #s you gave are for the pickup coil.
    Last edited by RB04Av; 10-12-2011 at 06:57 PM.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_ic...agnostic_1.php check this link out it helped me out alot this week its alot easyer then u think

Actually, the link you provided is for checking the module from a Vortec setup (1996-up on the trucks, although the site claims 1995 - maybe on some car app) and still isn't a simple "check these pins for X ohms" type scenario as the original poster was asking about.

For the older module, here's a link from the same site you suggested: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_ic...n_module_1.php

I do have to say I'm a little surprised they would recommend using a wire-piercing test probe. I am really not a fan of piercing any wires on an engine harness.

Richard

Thanks to you both.. i already know how to check all on vehicle... was just wondering if a person could bench test resistance.