***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

rear end whine 1996 gmc sierra

This is a discussion on rear end whine 1996 gmc sierra within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; So i have a 1996 gmc sierra 5.0 2wd ext cab. Have a whining noise ever since i got the ...

rear end whine 1996 gmc sierra

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So i have a 1996 gmc sierra 5.0 2wd ext cab.

Have a whining noise ever since i got the truck from a family friend he said it was making the noise for about 40k miles ive had the truck and put about another 25k miles on it had it looked at once before was told its some bearing inside the rear end. Wondering what everyone thinks is best way to do this. Should I just take it apart and put a new bearing in, is that something i would be able to do on my own at my house or only at as shop Or should I get a rear from a junkyard and hope for luck on that. Any thoughts?

Re: rear end whine 1996 gmc sierra

Open the cover up and check for metal shavings on the magnet. Watch to see if the oil comes out silver or metallic colored. Check for play in the pinion by trying to wiggle the yoke. If youve got a bad bearing, then it is probably on the pinion. Seems to be more common there. How loud is the whine? It could be bad gear wear. For the price of a new set of gears plus installation, it would be cheaper to just swap in a different rear.
    If it is bad, and its just your DD then Id suggest just swapping in a junkyard axle. If you were to go that route, open it up and check everything out the same way.

2005 2500HD>Duramax>EFI Live DSP5 by Punisher Performance>FASS Platinum LP>AFE Turbo MP>EGR Blocked>PCV Rerouted>Mild audio setup>4" Exhaust>Alligator Performance Race Fuel Valve>Edge Insight CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaximizer View Post
    Open the cover up and check for metal shavings on the magnet. Watch to see if the oil comes out silver or metallic colored. Check for play in the pinion by trying to wiggle the yoke. If youve got a bad bearing, then it is probably on the pinion. Seems to be more common there. How loud is the whine? It could be bad gear wear. For the price of a new set of gears plus installation, it would be cheaper to just swap in a different rear.
    If it is bad, and its just your DD then Id suggest just swapping in a junkyard axle. If you were to go that route, open it up and check everything out the same way.
    The whine is pretty loud you can hear it over the radio unless its pretty much all the way up lol. sounds like a light rail going down the train tracks.

I can't remember what the guy that opened the pumpkin up and told me what bearing was bad. Put he said it was the bearing that is inside the pumpkin. When we opened it up there did not see any shavings and oil looked normal to color.

You may be able to get away with a bearing then if it hasnt caused excess wear within 65,000 miles.. In the pumpkin, so a carrier bearing? Id consider them all in the housing but maybe thats the one he meant

2005 2500HD>Duramax>EFI Live DSP5 by Punisher Performance>FASS Platinum LP>AFE Turbo MP>EGR Blocked>PCV Rerouted>Mild audio setup>4" Exhaust>Alligator Performance Race Fuel Valve>Edge Insight CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaximizer View Post
    You may be able to get away with a bearing then if it hasnt caused excess wear within 65,000 miles.. In the pumpkin, so a carrier bearing? Id consider them all in the housing but maybe thats the one he meant
    i was thinking something like this for 90 for a whole seal and bearing set for the rear
    http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...RA-321_ANG.jpg

but I can get a rear from the junkyard for around that price if not cheaper but run the chance of that one being bad or something going wrong so i was leaning on just fixing this one so its more or less newer.
    But how hard would it be to replace all of that something i could do at home?

With a used diff you'll be right back to the same position you are now. A used assembly with no idea miles, condition, maint., wear, etc. You could get lucky..... Or could be in a worse position as you are now.

Here's how I try to determine whether it's a bearing noise or a gear noise. Start at square one.

When is the noise MOST prevelant? Get to a speed and condition where the noise it's the most noticable. Can you change the noise/pitch with moderately hard lane changes left and right? This loads the axle bearings side to side. Can you control the pitch with accel/decel? Meaning, is the noise worse when you let off the gas or put it under load accelerating? And finally, is the noise ONLY able to be changed with speed? If speed is the ONLY factor in change, then you definitely have a pinion or carrier bearing causing your noise. If decel/accel can control pitch....... You're gonna need a complete overhaul to do it right. Ring and pinion, bearings, seals and possibly axles if they're badly worn. I also would suggest either putting it up on jackstands CAREFULLY or putting it up on a rack and have someone drive it while listening to it with a stethoscope to see where the noise is most prevelant. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need any help. I don't get on much though lol.

'95 ECSB, 2/4 drop, 20" Dip D01 Klone wheels, 255/40/20.

'88 RCSB 350 w/Edelbrock MPFI, headers, grille update, 2"shackles.

I havnt really payed attention when i change lanes i will listen next time i drive it. As for accel /decel, When your on the gas it is louder and when you let go of the gas and decel its still there but not as loud.

If you can change the pitch and notice a difference with accel/decel, that is a sing of worn out gears. When you're accelerating you are contacting one side of the gears and then when you decel it shifts to the other side. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but without being there and based off of what you're saying it sounds like gear whine....... Which means it's overhaul time.
    Last edited by anythingfastxxx; 10-23-2011 at 10:05 PM.

'95 ECSB, 2/4 drop, 20" Dip D01 Klone wheels, 255/40/20.

'88 RCSB 350 w/Edelbrock MPFI, headers, grille update, 2"shackles.

Pinion bearings most likely, you'll have to dismantle the whole diff to replace them. I would get an installation kit and do all the bearings in the whole diff including the axle bearings. I am sure the diff oil is metallic. If you don't feel confidant, get a shop to do it. Good luck.

So if I want to rebuild it is there a complete rebuild kit or what parts will i need so I can price this out.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobB89 View Post
    So if I want to rebuild it is there a complete rebuild kit or what parts will i need so I can price this out.
    http://www.ringpinion.com/PartCats.a...ar+-+30+Spline
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Thanks for the site looked on there but not really sure what all I need guess I would have to take it apart and look at it which would suck for me since its my only truck and being as that looking at the prices 170-350 for pinion and gear plus bearing and seals and what ever spider gears. Might take a chance and go to crazyrays junkyard pull pan off and see if it seems decent full rear is like 87$

Found a guy on craigslist selling a rear end from a 89 c1500 4x4 same gear ratio as mine just want to make sure that it will be good to go in a 2x4 i believe they are the same just wanted to double check.

4x4 will be about 3" wider. 1.5" each side

damn well thats a bite in the a## well glad i asked before I went out and got it.
    thanks

4x4 would also be 6 lug. so yep, definitely need one from a 2wd

ok thanks if i find one with a different gear ratio how much will that change things