***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

power steering pulley removal

This is a discussion on power steering pulley removal within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am trying to remove the power steering pump and bracket on my 93 1500 2wd with a 5.7, I ...

power steering pulley removal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am trying to remove the power steering pump and bracket on my 93 1500 2wd with a 5.7, I have a breaker bar on the bolt and vise grips on the pulley, but I can't get it to budge. Is this bolt reverse thread or is there a different way to get it out or what?

any help is appreciated, thanks!

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

Re: power steering pulley removal

bolt?,,,you need a pully puller to get at last bolt

[Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

Quote Originally Posted by cancritter View Post
    bolt?,,,you need a pully puller to get at last bolt
    x2
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

I think he is asking about a bracket bolt, but didnt use the right words, maybe the bolts behind the pulley?

Truck does not come with the bolt in place infront of the pulley. That is why everyone is confused.
    However with some anti-seize it will keep out dirt as you need those threads to put the pulley back on.
    If you are replacing the pump, you can cut off the bolt head, if you can. The pulley puller while it looks alot different will grab the collar on the pulley, and has a bolt that is run in just the same as a pitman arm puller. So if the bolt head is gone you don' t need the threads to get the pulley off.

But on the other side, to put it on, more or less a bolt. Auto-Zone has a puller/installer, or any parts store should. The bolt threads into the pump shaft. Then it also has a "nut" that is screwed down the bolt and pushes the pulley back on.

If you cannot get it to break, you may need a new pump. You can also try a pipe wrench on the pulley. Bigger stuff like that a pipe wrench has worked great for me when vise grips didn't. Depending on how much room you have and your tool collection, a big pipe wrench gives you alot more leverage then a pair of vise grips.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

wow, yea I completely f**ked the description in my first post, I found my pully puller in the toolbox at work and the head of the last bolt on the bracket sheared off eventually (the one behind the pump). but I extracted it and got everything taken care of, thanks for your help guys and sorry for the confusion lol

shouldnt be long now before the new powerplant is in