***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Advance Auto/ Spartan engines

This is a discussion on Advance Auto/ Spartan engines within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have never really liked crate reman engines, but does anybody have any experience with Adv. Auto/Spartan engines? I'm looking ...

Advance Auto/ Spartan engines

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have never really liked crate reman engines, but does anybody have any experience with Adv. Auto/Spartan engines? I'm looking at a 454 Vortec for my 98 Suburban. The crate engine from Chevy is $3900 and just too much for my blood right now. Anyway the Adv/ Spartan engines are $2700 and have a 3 year unlimited mile warranty but that doesn't mean they are any good and dealing with warranties is usually a hassle. I have a local engine builder quote me $4000 to do a turn key rebuild on my 454. THis seems high to me, but I would rather pay a little more and fix it once. Any advice or other options would be appreciated.

Re: Advance Auto/ Spartan engines

Ben, good luck with your engine choice.

TEE

You get what you pay for.
    IMHO...I'd go new GM crate but, it's your choice.

I have 80K on a new GM 350 crate form 5 years ago and not a problem. I've not heard good things on any motor you get from any auto parts store.

No idea........ what's wrong with your 454?
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

It ran fine ever since I bought it. Great oil pressure, 165K miles, etc. I cranked it last week and the engine was knocking worse than I have ever heard an engine knock...like a gremlin was in there beating on it with a 9 lb hammer. Anyway, it ran for about 5 or 6 seconds before I cut it off. Checked the oil and there is about a quart of antifreeze in the oil. So I would say it needs a rebuild. Have no idea what happened. It ran perfect when I parked it. Never had that happen before. I guess I'm glad it did that in the driveway instead of while I was pulling my deck boat down the highway.

Wow, that's weird. I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought you'd find anti-freeze in the oil with knocking. I've been fortunate to not have many serious engine problems with any engine I've owned. About the most I've had are a blown head gasket....... that was on a Isuzu inline 4 in a "Chevy" LUV. I did start up my parents old Delta 88 with an Olds 307, that probably threw a rod while my little brother was driving it. That thing shook back and forth really bad.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

I cant remember if it was Spartan or not that we used to get motors from for Toyota, but I've seen some really sh!tty engines delivered. One in particular was slap full of water from not being stored and prepped correctly.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

**** them, they ****ed me over on a engine thaty was in my truck, so i went and bought a GM crate motor.
    '00 Chevy Silverado Z71, 233k miles
    '97 Ford F250 ECLB, 7.3/ZF5. Tow Pig
    '98 Chevy K1500 ECSB, SAS - Sold
    '94 GMC C1500 RCLB, DD - Sold
    Some guys think that if you got a cooler car that your better then other guys; Those guys are right. - Adam Farrara

I worked for Advance and to be honest I would stay away from the Spartan eng. I replaced my wifes motor in her van and its not even a year old and its been in the shop many times. First for head leaks, then freeze plug issues, and its soon going beck because it keeps losen oil and coolant. Its a Spartan, and it was done at a cert. shop and I went as far as replace oil pan intake plenum vavle covers and any other old part. Nothing but problems. Going to replace it with a GM crete motor soon, waiting for Spartan to do the right thing and refund money, it nly has 8000 on it now and we are afraid to take it long rides. Hope you think about this before you get this motor.

Sounds like you had water leaking into the oil for awhile, and it finally washed the bearings out. The warranty on GM engines is fantastic...my uncle had to have his GoodWrench 350 warrantied. Now granted, it took some hoop jumping to get there, but the thing about GM engines is they carry parts AND LABOR warranties. Even if the dealer did not install it, if all the proper things were done at installation, they do the replacement. Maybe it is just me, but 4K seems high for an overhaul on a 454, does that include all the labor putting it in the truck? Something to check on, if there are any machine shops that typically build race motors or lots of high performance stuff, hit them up. This is getting into the slow time of year for them (everything from last year is fixed, and just waiting for racing to start to get the fresh batch of tore up stuff), and lots of times you can get a really high quality build from them at a great price so they can stay busy til race season starts.

ROb

ROb
    1986 C10 265K miles, Grandpa bought it new
    2003 1500 160K miles, Momma bought it, tired of spending money on afforementioned ride

I have no Spartan experience, but I would recommend getting the GM engine.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

How do you know you need an engine? If money is a concern, I'd see what's wrong the current engine, see if I could fix it, before jumping off into buying a rebuild or a new engine.

I ended up getting an engine from Carolina Machine Engines (CME) in SC. When the oil pan was dropped, the #1 piston was basically laying in it in pieces. It actually cracked the block when it shattered. Never seen that before. The engine I got was a higher torque 7.4 Vortec. I ended up paying around $2400 with a 5 year/ 100K warranty. CME is a company that is local and the owner was an NHRA drag racer that builds race engines. Everything I read about them was good so I went with them. I didn't get all my core back though due to the cracked block. While the engine was out I replaced te water pump and radiator. Also replaced the manifolds with Gibson 106s stainless headers to a dual in/ dual out magnaflow. Sounds real good now and tons of power. Just hope the transmission holds up

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

smart move...always best to go local...cant imagine haveing to sent a crate engine back...thats good price..rebuilt long blocks sbc can be had around here all day long for 1700$ so your engine is right in line lm thinking...with the builder haveing a good rep is worth the piece of mind if theres a issue...haveing to deal over the phone with some customer service because thheres a issue and your 1200 miles away......
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT