***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

loose steering 97 silverado

This is a discussion on loose steering 97 silverado within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just replaced the pitman arm yesterday. Didn't change it a whole lot but I can definetly tell the difference. ...

loose steering 97 silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just replaced the pitman arm yesterday. Didn't change it a whole lot but I can definetly tell the difference. Im not really that familiar with suspension, so what else could it be? Maybe tie rod ends? I am lost. I just don't want to take it to a shop.

Re: loose steering 97 silverado

also I need to note something, when I turn it SLIGHTLY left it buckles a little and it causes a slight swerve but then it catches and i correct it. now all of this is very slight. But if I just turn it moderately or hard there is no problem. I have had this problem since I bought the truck . What can this mean??

Idler arm fails as often as the pitman arm. Speed sensitive steering sensors on these trucks are known to cause steering quirks.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 11-15-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Idler arm fails as often as the pitman arm. Speed sensitive steering sensors on these trucks are known to cause steering quirks.
    So what would be the term for this steering sensor?

the Evolution Sensor.... when my kicked the bucket i could turn wheel and truck kept going straight. I have a 1999 obs tahoe

thanks guys i'll definetly try it. I aint took her to a shop yet except to get the a/c fixed one time, and dont plan on it neither!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseymikem View Post
    the Evolution Sensor.... when my kicked the bucket i could turn wheel and truck kept going straight. I have a 1999 obs tahoe
    Sorry to be an internet nazi but...its an EVO(electronically Variably Orifice). Not evolution...
    1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB. 4.3L 5sp and tons of chrome. Beautiful to look at, miserable to drive

1999 OBS Tahoe. Wait4Me tune, COMP 1.6 rockers, CAI, Titan 18's, Cranked and 2in block, Custom Pioneer Touchscreen, 2 12" Pioneer Subs

You're correct my mistake

You're correct my mistake
    Thanks. The interwebz is the only place I get to be right. Until at least my girlfriend joins this forum. Then I'll always be wrong again
    1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB. 4.3L 5sp and tons of chrome. Beautiful to look at, miserable to drive

1999 OBS Tahoe. Wait4Me tune, COMP 1.6 rockers, CAI, Titan 18's, Cranked and 2in block, Custom Pioneer Touchscreen, 2 12" Pioneer Subs

Quote Originally Posted by 92chev View Post
    Thanks. The interwebz is the only place I get to be right. Until at least my girlfriend joins this forum. Then I'll always be wrong again

Don't overlook the steering gear/box itself. I've had four of these trucks, three with high mileage. They all needed steering boxes.

if you got some miles it doesnt make sense to piece the bad parts. If it isnt the sensor, and you end up get into replacing the steering gear, like i had to, you might as well do everything and get it aligned once. the alignments are 75-100 each time and i bought a kit that had the ball joints, pitman, idler, tie rods, and end links. i think it was around 150. now i dont have to worry and likely saved money in the long run.
    Last edited by ToyHauler; 11-22-2011 at 05:57 AM.
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

ive had issues with my intermediate shaft on both of my sierras, i have had play in the steering and replace that and its fine.... it really sucks they dont have a grease fitting on the oem ones....
    -07 sierra classic/mbrp exhaust,20" custom wheels, lmc truck projector angel eye lamps, lmc cowel hood, s&b intake, bullydog gt gas tuner, 3.73 gear, rcx 6" lift and 35's
    -97 silverado SCLB, dmj 3/4 drop (DD)

The sensor has nothing to do with you turning the wheel, only thing it controls is the amount of power assist coming from the pump.

For the OP one way to tell if its bad is look under the front and you see a plug under the bottom of the power steering pump, reach up and unplug it,drive the truck, If the jerkyness is gone , then its the sensor for that system on the lower part of the steering shaft inside almost at the firewall on the column, Its a common thing to go out. But more than likely the play is have it the idler arm combined with some slop in the steering box. You can adjust it, but its not recommened in the truck, and I am not gonna tell you how to do it, someone else can.
    1996 K2500 reg cab long bed 5.7 vortec,4L80E ,4.10 gears.

When my sensor went bad, you may be in a gradual right turn at hyway speed and the force applied to the steering wheel to stay in the curve would very suddenly be too much force and you would oversteer a bit to the right. It felt like something slipping. Pretty creepy in the rain. It would randomly happen on both left and right turns. Its a fairly easy fix.