***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

block heater cord

This is a discussion on block heater cord within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i have an 2006 gmc 1500 4.8......the block heater cord male end has a temp sensor that doesn't turn the ...

block heater cord

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i have an 2006 gmc 1500 4.8......the block heater cord male end has a temp sensor that doesn't turn the block heater on till it reaches -18 celcius......any option other than a dealer replacement cord?

Re: block heater cord

Does it not work or you want it to kick on at a warmer temp? There are several aftermarket block heater on the internet. I'm sure napa or your home town hardware store could get an aftermarket one.

If you change the cord out to bypass the thermal control beware of the possibility of your truck catching on fire. This has happened many times.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

I would agree if your trying to bypass the temp your better off not doing so.
    Granted a heated engine is great, but a gas engine is not as big a problem as diesel where fuel gels, and heat is need to start it.
    All that said being in Canada can be rough for winter.
    If you want a higher temp I would suggest an aftermarket replacement just add one and use that one.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

sorry..i didn't explain well enough......if you put a regular plug on the cord, the pcm will throw a code.....it reads the temp differential between the iat and coolant temp ....i would like the block heater on before -18c.....the wind chill factored in makes a big temp difference.....thanx

-18c is only 0F and a gas truck will start up with no problem in -35F. I have done it many times in the UP of MI.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

i have started at -40F...but at what price.....the point being a faster warmup and easier on the engine....a few cents worth of electricity would go a long way if one fine day it didn't start!

Interested to see what you find out, i have the same question just bought an aftermarket block heater and it too had the temp sensor with the no workie above -18, usless.

Im thinking that there would be a cord available without the sensor, the factory plug pre 06 i beleive didn't have it, so maybe a replacement cord from an older vehicle, rather the CEL than a truck that doesn't get up to operating temp for 20 mins that gets 2 cold starts a day the entire winter.
    2007 Silverado 1/2 ton Z-71 5.3L

hey squires!!!!....your right in thinking an older model cord will work....i believe you can also purchase one thru the dealer, but staring at the cel or clearing the fault continuosly would get pretty stale after awhile.....not to mention the other variables....apparently the pcm senses a greater temp differential and compensates by changing the fuel trim resulting in poor running....i found an article in the winnipeg free press suggesting to clamp the cord end with the sensor to the top rad hose and then run a short cord to the outsideof the truck...have to think about that one....google it and see.

looks like jibberish to me, haha i don't see how were going to be able get the plug to turn on at above -18 with what was in that article, i have a time programable outdoor timer so that it would only be on for a few hours regardless, seems a mess to me, not worth having, maybe a magnet heater for the block, but i believe the oil pan is aluminum, and there are no flat spots on the block to stick it,decisions decisions.

After more thinking, whats the keep all the same codes from occuring when it is below -18? Wouldn't the temp difference be there for the pcm to get its panties in a knot over regardless of the outdoor temperature? weather the heater is on when it is -10 or -40 there are still going to be differences throughout the variety of sensors.
    Last edited by squires; 12-13-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    2007 Silverado 1/2 ton Z-71 5.3L

the dealers use an oilpan heater called the "bearclaw" that attaches to the pan somehow....I use a timer also.....my old '86 C10 and '94 Z71 and '02 Z71 worked just fine

don't know what the range is for temp differential, but it would be much greater with warm coolant.....just got back from the dealer...recall to replace heater resistor and wiring connector...mine had quit working on a couple of speeds (fan)....guess they had a few melt......warranty on that part extended to 10 years or 240000 kms.