GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Broken Glow Plug - Duramax LBZ

This is a discussion on Broken Glow Plug - Duramax LBZ within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well, I am really falling in love this truck... trying to get the glow plugs changed, and the head twisted ...

Broken Glow Plug - Duramax LBZ

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well, I am really falling in love this truck... trying to get the glow plugs changed, and the head twisted off #1. So, now I am left with a small metal tube sticking out of the head.

Please tell me that someone has a suggestion to remove this, without removing the head.

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Broken Glow Plug - Duramax LBZ

Awesome!!!

That's so simple, I don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks Man!

Since this may wind up being guidance for someone else down the road, I thought that I should chronicle the process (unfortunately, I won't have a left-hand drill and tap until tomorrow).

Below is what you'll see shortly after the "snap". Actually, it went rather quietly and peacefully, like twisting off a wood screw.

And from a slightly different angle...

Here is what came out...

Great news though, there seems to be plenty of material left in the head to do some surgery. You can see on the caliper that I am clear to drill 2.350" deep without hitting the remaining electrode. So, the plan is to drill 2.350" deep with a No. 7 or 13/64" left handed drill. Then I will use a 1/4-20 bottoming hole tap to tap to a depth of 2.250". From the above picture, you can see that I will be beyond the threads and into the remaining the stub. This part is important because the next step is to remove the seized threads. To do this I will be using a clearance drill (a drill that is the same diameter as the minor diameter of the threaded hole). I'll detail that in the update post.

Until then, here is some info on checking the glow plugs. Number three came out just fine, so I compared the resistance of the new and old plug. Pictures below...

Stay tuned...

Yeah not a problem i am glad you have an idea, i was board so i have no problem looking for such things.

I have a small update here. The drills and tap are ordered, as we did not have them at the plant. I went with the following drills and tap, and they should be here tomorrow:

-No.7 Black Oxide 135 Split Point Drill - This is the tap drill for the 1/4-20 tap.

-1/4-20 Spiral Flute Bottoming Tap - Bottoming taps allow you to cut threads very near the bottom of a tapped hole, while the spiral flutes result in long continuous chips that are easy to clear from the hole. Tapping the glow plug is only going to be done as a precautionary measure, I expect the left hand drill to grab the glow plug and spin it out.

-Left Hand 11/32" Maintenance Length Drill - This is just below the clearance diameter of a 10 x 1.25mm tapped hole. So, I should be able to drill the threads out without cutting into the head. The left hand rotation should grab the remainder of the glow plug once the seized threads are removed.

The tools should be here tomorrow, and I will document the process. It is not that complicated, and drilling and tapping something like this should not be intimidating to anyone who has drilled and tapped anything before.

Once again, stay tuned...
    Last edited by abadv8; 12-19-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Well, for once all of the experts are correct... you can't remove a broken glow plug without pulling the head...

Nah, just kidding. Here's what we have...

First I spotfaced the remaining glow plug with an oversize drill...

Next I drilled the minor diameter for the tap and started to tap the hole...

Notice above that the tap is not in very far. It is extremely important when tapping a deep hole that the tap is straight. Let me rephrase that... if it's crooked you will break the tap. So, I stopped and drilled out the threads. Then I restarted the tap...

Much better. Now, we're ready to drill the 10 x 1.25 mm threads out of the head. As you're drilling, you should make certain that your drill is straight. Turn the drill slowly so that it has an opportunity to bite into the glow plug. You should be getting some chips that look like this...

And all of a sudden you'll feel like you aren't cutting anymore. This is great news; it means that the drill has grabbed the plug and is spinning it out. The next thing you'll see is this...

Here is a little detail showing how the drill grabbed the remaining plug...

Now, to make sure that this doesn't happen again, I strongly suggest using an accurate torque wrench and torquing to specified torque of 13 lb*ft...

And here it is...

Another view for those who may be skeptical...

And last, but not least...

Enjoy one of the best beverages that you will ever have, knowing that you did what some say cannot be done.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Now, if only I can figure out this air bag light...

Pull the air bag fuse pull the dash cluster pull back the black back cover on the cluster tape over the light and done. lol.

Nice write up!

I had #7 glow plug go out on me last winter. Looked at it then looked at my warrenty. then proceded to let gm fix it for free.

Idk if all that mumbo jumbo about tape is within my skill level... I mean, do I need special tools for that? Do they make a tape wrench?

I would really like to get it fixed properly. I'd feel much better about giving up my Cummins truck for this one, if I can get the SRS system fixed up.

Yeah, I called the dealer about it, and after running my vin#, they told me "No warranty". That was with less than 100k on the clock. I think that this is probably the last GM product that I ever buy, unfortunately (I've always liked GM's).
    Last edited by abadv8; 12-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

weird. I had mine done at around 80K

Mine had less than that when I called.

My hope with this thread is that people won't be coerced into having work done due to fear caused by someone telling them that it can't be done. One of my favorite things to hear from anyone is, "You can't do that." - "Wanna bet?"

I did this in a garage. I do have a decent assortment of tools. But you have to ask yourself, "Would you rather spend the money on tools or labor?"

Excellent work.. Definitely keeping this thread bookmarked in the event I ever have problems with mine. Thanks for a great post

2005 2500HD>Duramax>EFI Live DSP5 by Punisher Performance>FASS Platinum LP>AFE Turbo MP>EGR Blocked>PCV Rerouted>Mild audio setup>4" Exhaust>Alligator Performance Race Fuel Valve>Edge Insight CTS

I would be happy to look into your warranty information for you. What year is the vehicle? Please feel free to contact me with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

Why? Is GM going to write me a check for the work that I did?
    SlvrdoHDmax, 454/4X4 and SoSoFLY like this.

hey guys, great to find this write up
    bought a truck and 3 month later discovered that number 6 glow plug is broken off and stuck inside my head 06 LLY
    going to try following this process ...

what I wanted to ask is there a chance that after i get rid of the thread the remaining part of glow plug can fall inside the cylinder ? or is there a dead end on front part where electrode begins ?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikealpha View Post
    what I wanted to ask is there a chance that after i get rid of the thread the remaining part of glow plug can fall inside the cylinder ? or is there a dead end on front part where electrode begins ?
    thanks
    Only if the tip has broken off. But, if it broke off already, it's a done deal and there's nothing you can do aggravate the situation while removing the rest of the glow plug.

If you look at the plug, you see a taper just before the thin "hot" part starts. This is what seals against the head (sort of like a flare fitting). So, there really isn't much friction to overcome when drilling it out. Once you get down to that last thread, the bit should grab and spin the remaining plug out.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by abadv8 View Post
    Only if the tip has broken off. But, if it broke off already, it's a done deal and there's nothing you can do aggravate the situation while removing the rest of the glow plug.

If you look at the plug, you see a taper just before the thin "hot" part starts. This is what seals against the head (sort of like a flare fitting). So, there really isn't much friction to overcome when drilling it out. Once you get down to that last thread, the bit should grab and spin the remaining plug out.

Best of luck!

thanks a lot for reply but well no luck for me
    i went and removed fender well and checked glow plug # 6 and discovered what looks like already broken drill bit inside glow plug
    please go to this thread for picture ...

thanks for helo
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...glow-plug.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast