***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 Cranks but won't start

This is a discussion on 97 Cranks but won't start within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 97 c1500 305 Vortec. This morning I went to start it and all it does is crank ...

97 Cranks but won't start

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 97 c1500 305 Vortec. This morning I went to start it and all it does is crank but not fire. The last time it was drove was on the 23rd, it was last started on the 27th for about 10 mins to boost my neighbour. The weather here has been cold, mild raining and snowing. When it cranks and I let off the key the engine rotates backwards just a bit. I can hear the fuel pump run, I can smell fuel at the engine, I think I have spark as my tach jumps around a bit when I crank. I tried jumping it, that did nothing. My battery connections are tight. I've had it for about 2 months and a buddy of mine had the truck for a few weeks before I bought it off him. Before my buddy bought it, it wasn't drove much the previous year. I've read what it could be, just wondering if anyone else has had the same problems. It also doesn't throw any codes either.
    Last edited by jeff97; 01-01-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Re: 97 Cranks but won't start

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you first turn the key on(not cranking)? It should be on for 5-10 seconds then turn off. You'll have to open the door(or the window) to hear it.

Ya I stood beside my truck this afternoon as the brother in law turned the key.

If you think it has fuel and spark pull the battery and have it tested at a parts store. That's usually free, might be that it doesn't have enough reserve power to push it over fast enough.

Transgo HD2 | Magnaflow DI/DO | CAI | BlackBear Tune| Dual Optima Red Tops: 2000 Cold Craking Amps | Denali Projectors |

krg

spray the inside of the distributor cap with wd40
    and try to start again

Ok I will try both of those. Without booster cables on the battery its almost in the red. With booster cables it goes up to almost 14.

Having a similar issue with my '98. After sitting all nite in damp weather it does the same thing- hard to start, runs backwards. It will eventually start, but I'm afraid I'm gonna destroy the starter. I've got it in the shed going over it, but CMP, CKP, ign. module, and coil seem fine. If I figure it ot I will surely let you know. Once it lights- it's good to go for the day.

I can't get mine to turn on at all. I'm going to get a tune up done Wednesday and a new fuel filter. See what that does. If that doesnt help will be doing a crank position sensor. Then move on from there. I think it might be the distributor. With all the moisture and temperature swings. And it's not throwing any codes.

Probably needs a cap and rotor. Delco only no aftermarket.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by race1 View Post
    Probably needs a cap and rotor. Delco only no aftermarket.

Bob
    Had the same problem on my Sonoma. For some reason I kept the old cap and rotor, swapped them out and it fired up.

Ya I priced all that out today gonna get it done on Wednesday. I'm figuring its not overly bad. Ran great and started great before it sat. Even last Wednesday after it sat for 5 days it still started a ran great. Maybe it only being on for 10 minutes to jump the neighbour messed something up. For a Delco cap rotor and distributor is only $65. Probably will be cheaper on mechanics price.

I had a 98 yukon with the 350 vortec motor and it did that. What I did with my truck was pulled the fuel pump relay, cranked the truck a few times to clear out old fuel, popped it back in and fired up. I found out I had a leaky/sticky injector
    1994 - Chevy z71 ECSB, spintech prostreet dumped, Magnaflow Y-Pipe 23256, 5,000k hids, Leveled on 265/75/16 Wardens E rated

2004 Impala - DD

xbox live tag : jrp12357

I will give that a try too. Don't really want to dump a pile of money into it. Trying to save for some mods in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff97 View Post
    Ok I will try both of those. Without booster cables on the battery its almost in the red. With booster cables it goes up to almost 14.
    I have yet to see a set of jumper cables that can actually start a truck with a bad battery. Most heavy gauge ones will push the engine over but if you don't have enough power stored in the battery it will not work.

Transgo HD2 | Magnaflow DI/DO | CAI | BlackBear Tune| Dual Optima Red Tops: 2000 Cold Craking Amps | Denali Projectors |

Mine did that. Check your cap/rotor. A cap/rotor remedied that particular issue for my old GMT400
    I Liek NBS

When you shot starting fluid or gas or somehting into the TB, did it fire right up?

Engines require 3 "magic ingredients" to run. That's it. Those are, air/fuel mixture in a somewhat reasonable ratio; spark at more or less the right time; and compression.

All you gotta do to figure out why it doesn't start, is determine which of the magic 3 is missing. Simple. Child's play. I'd rather troublehsoot a "no-start" ANY TIME, rather than a "runs like crap" problem; they're just .... too easy.

So let's get logical and rational for a minute.

Compression doesn't just up and disappear when cranking, only to reappear later. Rule that one out if the motor runs OK once it gets going. That leaves with only air/fuel, or spark.

You can find out in about 10 seconds whether you have a fuel/air problem or a spark problem, and get yourself into LOGIC land, and out of "maybe it's this, maybe it's that" hell.

Air, not usually a problem. Fuel, VERY EASY to substitute for, by just dumping some in.

Dump in fuel and it starts, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Dump in fuel and it doesn't start, you have a spark problem. Eh??

Which one have you got?

Keeping in mind, you have the system that is WELL AND WIDELY known to have trouble starting when the fuel pressure is lower than about 60 psi. You can "have fuel" but still not have enough for it to actually RUN.
    Last edited by RB04Av; 01-03-2012 at 05:13 AM.

I will give that a try. I took my battery to one store and they said it needed to be replaced. Took it back to where I bought it to warranty and they said they needed to leave it on the charger over night. So we will see what happens this afternoon.

In the shop now waiting to get worked on. Had fuel in the oil so it had fuel getting to the engine. Must have a sticky injector. Hoping a tune up fixes the problem. The old plugs were pretty toasted.

so what was the outcome for this vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff97 View Post
    In the shop now waiting to get worked on. Had fuel in the oil so it had fuel getting to the engine. Must have a sticky injector. Hoping a tune up fixes the problem. The old plugs were pretty toasted.
    get a fuel injector flush done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast