GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Fuel pump? New pump and still wont start

This is a discussion on Fuel pump? New pump and still wont start within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My brother and I spent better part of yesterday replacing fuel pump and truck still wont start. It is a ...

CMB

Fuel pump? New pump and still wont start

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My brother and I spent better part of yesterday replacing fuel pump and truck still wont start. It is a 93 silverado 1500 4x4. Details: truck quit running. WE could get it to start briefly by squirting fuel directly into throttle body, which eliminated spark as the issue. Replaced the fuel pump relay and fuel filter with no effects. We checked fuel pressure at the fuel filter after turning the key to on several times. No pressure. We checked for voltage at the fuel pump connection and there was 12v when key was turned to on, but fuel pump made no noise (there are three wires at the harness connection, and I got 12v at each of the two power leads). We dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump with a OE delhpi pump, and got it all back together, added ~ 5gal fuel (it is a 40 gal aftermarket tank), and it still wont start. To say the least we were pretty dissapointed.

I noticed there were four wires coming from the pump where it goes into the tank, but only three wires in the wire connector, the fourth wire was just hanging there unused when we dropped the tank and we left it that way when we put it all back together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Fuel pump? New pump and still wont start

i just changed my fuel pump ,there should have been a ground wire bolted to the frame somewhere, maybe yalls extra wire is that ground wire ,if so its gotta be grounded to frame or the pump wont work
    Last edited by old blue2; 01-05-2012 at 04:17 PM.

If you aren't hearing the pump running, then it's not running. I agree that the extra wire is probably a ground. I have a shop book with a wiring diagram. What color is the extra wire?

Quote Originally Posted by smaurno View Post
    If you aren't hearing the pump running, then it's not running. I agree that the extra wire is probably a ground. I have a shop book with a wiring diagram. What color is the extra wire?
    I just did my pump and sending unit on my 94 K1500...and I cut the access hole in bed ( no one likes this idea but if you do it properly and have a bed liner ...who cares!) Anyway, yes that forth wire is black and its a ground wire. It is attached to the frame. Not sure if it makes the pump or fuel gauge or both work? But I would definitely hook it up.

[(there are three wires at the harness connection, and I got 12v at each of the two power leads).

2 of the 3 wires are for your fuel gauge to and from the tank to the gauge, the 3rd is power supply to the pump..usually the pump ground wire is on the pump side and goes to the frame rail..On my 96 its on the top of the driver side rail..your missing the ground side of the pump...

CMB

Thanks guys! It was the ground wire.