***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Confused about a oil leak and plate 6.0 (Please identify)

This is a discussion on Confused about a oil leak and plate 6.0 (Please identify) within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; A few days ago I posted about an oil leak on my truck (2001 1500 HD w/ 6.0). I pulled ...

DWK

Confused about a oil leak and plate 6.0 (Please identify)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    A few days ago I posted about an oil leak on my truck (2001 1500 HD w/ 6.0). I pulled the inspection cover on the trans and see oil leak that appears to be coming from a plate that is bolted to the back of the block up high about the rear main.
    I took the truck to a mechanic for his opinion and he said the leak is coming from a cam plate on the back of the block and the trans has to come out to repair. He had me all the way up until he quoted $750 to do the job.
    That's a lot of cash to R&R a transmission so I picked it up. Of course I should know better than have someone else look at my truck because he dropped the exhaust to pull the cover (no need for it as it comes out without removing the exhaust and now I have a leak. Hopeflly it's no big deal and I figure the exhaust has to come out to pull the transmission, so I will fix it then.

So the big question is the plate something that will leak of is the oil coming from somewhere else? What is the plate called?
    Next is there any big trick to pulling the transmission? the mechanic claimed the motor will not tilt back very far so the bell housing bolts are difficult to get to. I can't imagine it being hard enough to justify $750 for the removal and install.

Re: Confused about a oil leak and plate 6.0 (Please identify)

Listen, if you had to purchase all the equipment he has, then pay your help and all the other things it costs to run a shop, you'd charge $750 too. I am assuming you have a 4x4 and that stuff has to come out too. That price looks good to me. I have done this work for 46 years and it's plenty of work to do.

DWK

As much as I appreciate your help, you do not know what this shop is. Were talking just short of a dirt floor with no lifts etc....The guy claims to charge $50 an hour, so by my math that's 15 hours. I doubt his labor, rent and insurance amounts to much if an at all. Guy has a good rep though. Plus this is Tejas. lol Labor is cheap.

Trans shop charges less than $300 to R&R a transmission, 4x4 or not. What does the book pay for pulling and installing a transmission? Shoot I'm willing to bet I can have the transmission on the ground in less than 2 1/2 hours using my 15 year old in my driveway. Now mind you I have been wrenching on stuff for over 30 years myself and I have transmission jacks, air tools etc.... Off the top of my head, Pull battery cable, drive shafts need to come out, the exhaust pulled loose, Starter unbolted and moved to the side. The transfer case unplugged and unbolted, Cross member removed, pull transfer case, pull cover, pull torque convertor bolts, remove linkage and wiring, unbolt transmission and slide back. Now work on back of motor. I'm sure I would be considerably slower than a guy who turns wrenches everyday. Maybe im dilusional IDK.....
    I took it in because I have no desire to roll around on my back pulling it but I have less desire to pay $750 to have it done.

I do not want to get side tracked but My main question here is more about what is on the back of the block? Watching a few animated videos on You tube, it appears to me that the plate on the rear is almost a continuation of the oil pan and holds the rear main in. Is this correct? What are the pitfalls to this job?
    Last edited by DWK; 01-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.

why dont you do it then if your more then qualified? get the boy out there 2 learn a thing or 2 haha
    1996 2 door tahoe 4x4 5.7
    2000 crew cab 2500 classic shortbed 4x4 5.7
    1998 GMC sierra reg cab short box 4x4 5.0
    1993 reg cab stepside 4x4 5.7
    1995 Tahoe 4dr 3" lift 4x4 5.7
    2000 silverado 1500 ex cab 4x4 5.3
    2000 silverado 2500 ex cab 4x4 6.0

X-BOX gamertag CHEVYIKE

DWK

Did some checking and the book shows 8 hrs to Remove and install the entire engine. lol
    As I said before I realy do not feel like doing the repair. I have no doubt I can do it and do not mind paying to have it done, I'm just not interested in getting hosed in the process.
    Last month we pulled my son's zf-6 (six speed) out of his Powerstroke to replace the clutch. I still hurt from rolling around on the ground with that one. Granted it is 2x heaver than the one in my truck but still not something I look forward to.

Can someone identify the plate on the back of the motor? Is it basically a continuation of the oil pan or is it a seperate port?

not part of the oil pan, the pan comes off without much trouble on a truck. I have not looked at the rear main oil seal on one of these engines as of yet.

DWK

Quote Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
    not part of the oil pan, the pan comes off without much trouble on a truck. I have not looked at the rear main oil seal on one of these engines as of yet.
    I appreciate the reply and I hope you get where I'm coming from. I worked on my tools and value the shops and what it takes to keep the doors open on one. Just dont like the idea of a po dunk shop trying to BS me on how hard it is when I have been there and done that. I hate getting old.... 10 yrs ago their would have never been a question about who is doing the job, today..... little different story.

I spoke with a guy who works at a Chevy dealer and he said about $400 with parts to fix it back when we thought rear main. I am assuming whatever this plate is the gasket (if it has one) is not a hard or expensive repair so the cost should be about the same. I will have the rear main replaced while the job is done. Just good preventative maintenance as the truck has 200k on her. I also have the ring or shim thing for the transfer case since it will be out of the truck.
    Last edited by DWK; 01-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Not Really Bob

I'm surprised the rear engine cover is leaking. You're positive it not the rear main seal?

This kit has everything you would need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS6-...ht_1718wt_1037

I had a shop do a rear main on my 2001 2500HD 4X4 and the guy didn't know about that plate either. Well it ended up being the plate not the seal. He charged $350 and I can't imagine it would have been much, if any, more to replace the plate as well. I wasn't real happy with the guy for not knowing about that plate - $350 down the toilet and he wouldn't give me any kind of break to go back in so I just lived with the leak.
    2004 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer 4WD 6.0L
    1985 Silverado C-10 RCSB 2WD 5.7L
    1992 Sierra 1500 2WD 5.7L
    2000 Tahoe Limited
    1999 Tahoe Limited

DWK

Oh its definately the plate. I pulled the inspection cover (Flywheel dist cover) and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. Then watched it as my son ran it at about 2500 RPM. The leak was well above the rear main.
    The sad thing is as I was cleaning everything up I took it to the car wash and did the Cardinal Sin. I washed the engine. As expected but hoped I was wrong I got a SES code the next day. Pulled the codes tonight and knock sensor #2 was bad. I went ahead and picked up the rear main seal kit (both the main and the cover gasket) a set of exhaust flange gaskets, 2 knock sensors and the intake gasket set. Fortunately I still have a guys that sells me parts at cost (127.xx ) for everything.

Pulled the intake tonight and went ahead and pulled the lifter cover (I guess it's called that) and will reseal it tomorrow when I put it back together. I found the harness trashed when I pulled the knock sensors so I need to pick up one tomorrow. The rear sensor was full of nasty water but I will seal it to prevent that from happening again.
    I pulled the lifter cover to rule out any leak coming from there and running down the back of the block. I dont think that is the problem but I am sealing everything as I go to make sure.

On the bright side I went by my old shop today and they had a 5.3 on an engine stand. I was able to check out the main seal plate. Now I see what I need to do.
    Last edited by DWK; 01-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Well what did you end up having to do?
    I was just told by Midas that my Rear Main is leaking and my oil pan is rotted.
    Haven't checked them myself yet but I'm leaning towards them being full of $hit.
    I know I have a oil drip happening but I doubt it's as bad as they say.
    Just in case I end up having the same problem you had it sure would be great to know what has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by dsptech View Post
    Well what did you end up having to do?
    I was just told by Midas that my Rear Main is leaking and my oil pan is rotted.
    Haven't checked them myself yet but I'm leaning towards them being full of $hit.
    I know I have a oil drip happening but I doubt it's as bad as they say.
    Just in case I end up having the same problem you had it sure would be great to know what has to be done.

why would you ever bring your truck to midas or any other chain store garbage i wouldnt trust my lawnmower with em. id find a reputable small mom and pop shop and have them check it out
    2002 silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 5.3L

current mods -

Aftermarket speakers and aftermarket headunit
    Cree reverse light bulbs
    Custom flowmaster original 40 series exhaust
    Candied tails
    Blackbear Tune

Future
    Converted cluster bulbs to leds - only turn signals to go

lol, Just for an oil change, honest!
    Was too cold out here on the East Coast to do it myself.
    They did a something like 21 point inspection that came with the oil change.

still wouldnt bring it there haha id put on a jacket and suck it up just go under the truck and look at the oil pan easy enough to tell if its rotted or not
    2002 silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 5.3L

current mods -

Aftermarket speakers and aftermarket headunit
    Cree reverse light bulbs
    Custom flowmaster original 40 series exhaust
    Candied tails
    Blackbear Tune

Future
    Converted cluster bulbs to leds - only turn signals to go