GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1/2 ton torsion bars on 3/4 ton

This is a discussion on 1/2 ton torsion bars on 3/4 ton within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 3/4 ton truck that I have cranked the torsion bars up till its level, but now it ...

1/2 ton torsion bars on 3/4 ton

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 3/4 ton truck that I have cranked the torsion bars up till its level, but now it rides really bad. When I jack it up it looks like it still has some downward motion to it. Could I put some 1/2 ton torsion bars under it to soften the ride up and keep it leveled?

Re: 1/2 ton torsion bars on 3/4 ton

Any torsion bar you crank all the way up is going ride ruff. The Isuzu I used to have rode super ruff with the bars tight, and they were much smaller than any bar on a Chevy pickup. Torsion bar keys may resolve you issue, idk, never used them, but I know they are used for additional lift.

ROb

EFI Live

they're too small and won't fit.

Thanks to:
    Dustin @ Diesel Addiction
    Rick @ Pro Fab Performance
    John @ Kennedy Diesel

My truck is the 8600lb. what if I used the 7200lb. bars for 3/4 ton? The roads around here are pretty rough anyways, but i can't keep stuff from falling into the floorboard its so rough. How would I go about making it ride a little smoother? I havent put new shocks on it yet. When I cranked it up I had to max out the adjustments just to get it level which I should have had plenty of movement? http://www.flickr.com/photos/6128814...n/photostream/ to this http://www.flickr.com/photos/6128814...n/photostream/
    Last edited by 7060; 01-20-2012 at 07:37 AM.

If you want it level with a smoother ride, buy a lift kit and do it right. You are putting that torsion bar to its maximum twist, so it has very little give. Shocks may help, but the bars being that tight is your biggest problem.

ROb

If you want it level with a smoother ride, buy a lift kit and do it right. You are putting that torsion bar to its maximum twist, so it has very little give. Shocks may help, but the bars being that tight is your biggest problem.

ROb

It's not the torsion bars that are giving you a rough ride. It's that the lower control arms are very close to, or probably riding on the bumpstops. De-crank or get a real lift.
    98 Chevy RCLB K1500, 5.7, 4L60E transgo shift kit, vette servo, 14 Bolt SF, 3.73s, Blackbear 89 tune

What kind of lift kit? Im pretty much limited to some sort of torsion bar lift. I cant do body lift because I have a flatbed thats welded on and i dont want the cab 2" higher than the headache rack. Im not wanting it lifted anyways, all I want is for the truck to set somewhat level and Im still about 1" lower in the front at the fender wells. Im open to suggestions, but I want to get a level truck with decent ride and I know its got to be possible.

Why dont you lower the rear?

Ok I went out and looked at my truck and the upper A arms are about 1/4" from the stops, and shocks look stretched out. Im going to get shock extenders for it, but what about doing a ball joint flip as well? If I do a ball joint flip will I need to align it? Will that give me any more caster adjustment?... which I need

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBowtie View Post
    Torsion bar keys may resolve you issue, idk, never used them, but I know they are used for additional lift.

ROb
    Torsion keys won't help. They only thing they do is allow you to crank them more before the adjuster bottoms out, but for the same lift they are still "cranked" the same amount.

The rough ride comes from the combination of two things:
    1. torsion bars are much stiffer
    2. There is very little down travel so when you hit a pothole the suspension can't move down enough before bottoming out and it pulls the whole truck down

1/2 ton torsion bars won't help because to get the same lift you would have to crank them a lot more and then you are in the same boat.