GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Replacing instrument cluster and does new one need to be calibrated with old one?

This is a discussion on Replacing instrument cluster and does new one need to be calibrated with old one? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I need to replace my instrument cluster and the dealership told me I would have to leave the truck at ...

Replacing instrument cluster and does new one need to be calibrated with old one?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I need to replace my instrument cluster and the dealership told me I would have to leave the truck at their shop for a couple weeks while they send my old cluster in to calibrate the new one with, or something to that effect. This is before I realized how easy it is to swap the clusters so I wondered if it is truly neccesary to send it in for some reason. It might have had to do with the existing cluster being metric and the desired new one being english units. I recently moved from Canada to the States so I thought I might as well switch that over in the process.

So my question is, does it need to get sent in, and why?

Thanks
    2004 Silverado 3/4 ton C/C 4X4
    6.0 L Vortec
    4L80E
    3.73:1 ratio, G-80

Re: Replacing instrument cluster and does new one need to be calibrated with old one?

I have an 03 Silverado and my speedo and gas guage do not work and I have been looking for a new guage cluster.. One shop said they would install a new one for $1,000 .. They said they would do it in one day so I am not sure about sending it in to someone?

I was hoping you would tell me where you found your cluster? Can you put in a used one off another truck? Is there a DYI so I know how difficult this is

I will be watching this thread so when I put mine in I will know this answer

Thanks.. Adam
    www.ThatRotorShop.com

Re: Replacing instrument cluster and does new one need to be calibrated with old one?

Find a local speedo repair shop and have them service your cluster for you. I did this on my 04 Avalanche and it took them about an hour to replace all my bulbs and my stepper motors (all of them) and the cluster did not need to be calibrated to my truck, it was the same one in my truck. It cost me about $120 and a little over an hour to remove and install and to get the service done.

Massey

Click below for pics

1998 Silverado 1500 5.7L
    1999 Camaro RS
    2000 Camaro Z28

Is there life after death? F**K with my truck and you will find out!

dont know anything about the programing but found this for diy stepper motors
    http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...r-replace.html
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

has to do with dealer liability with the odometer
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

As for pulling one out of another truck and putting it in your truck you will need to have the speedo and hour meter set to what your truck has already set for. These have federal and state laws that will not allow them to be changed. Some BCMs are keyed to the cluster and the wrong cluster will keep your truck from starting. Funny thing is removing the cluster will still allow the truck to run.

Massey

Click below for pics

1998 Silverado 1500 5.7L
    1999 Camaro RS
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Massey View Post
    As for pulling one out of another truck and putting it in your truck you will need to have the speedo and hour meter set to what your truck has already set for. These have federal and state laws that will not allow them to be changed. Some BCMs are keyed to the cluster and the wrong cluster will keep your truck from starting. Funny thing is removing the cluster will still allow the truck to run.

Massey
    Oh I see, so it's to set the odometer correctly. That makes sense, although I thought that data might have been saved in the ECM, or some other location outside of the actual cluster. How does one "set" the new cluster to have the correct mileage/hours? Can you rent or borrow certain scanning or programming tools to do it?
    6.0 L Vortec
    4L80E

1000 bucks is way to much. upgrade to an escalade cluster for much cheaper and do it your self.
    Last edited by NEUMANNZZ; 02-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

You gave me really good news.. I didnt know people fixed these.. I found a couple somewhat local poeple that repair the clusters for under $200.. I have driven for almost 3 years with the speedo not working.. I have to plug my GPS in every time so I know how fast I am going..

I looked at the DYI you sent me also

Thanks.. Adam
    www.ThatRotorShop.com

Resetting the cluster can only be done with a TECHII. You need to download your cluster's data then install the new one and upload the new data. I cant remember if an addon module for the TECH II is needed or if it has the storage area built into it's main systems. Been a long time since I had my hands on the TECH II.

Massey

Click below for pics

1998 Silverado 1500 5.7L
    1999 Camaro RS
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thank you. That gives me something to work with. A little confused why the local dealership wouldn't have that capability in-house, but like I say, that could have had to do with the old dash being metric.
    6.0 L Vortec
    4L80E

My dealership offered to order the new dash and when it came in they would call me for the swap and it would take a couple of hours. The whole job takes about an hour, with the data dowload/load taking the most time. If they would have had to send your cluster in to be reconditioned then the truck would be down for the turnover time, but they would not have had to reload the data unless GM's process erases the flash memory in the cluster.

Honestly you are better off taking it to a speedo repair shop and have them do it and get your same cluster back. Less $$$ and less time.

Massey

Click below for pics

1998 Silverado 1500 5.7L
    1999 Camaro RS
    2000 Camaro Z28