GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bad egr valve

This is a discussion on Bad egr valve within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Will a bad egr valve affect your gas mileage? I have went 60 miles on a half tank of gas. ...

Bad egr valve

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Will a bad egr valve affect your gas mileage? I have went 60 miles on a half tank of gas. just this week out of no where. The ses light came on and I check it and it was code 32 and 35.
    1994 k1500 K&N cold air intake, TBI spacer, Edelbrock shortys, Straight pipe exhaust, Corvette Servo.

Re: Bad egr valve

sweet mother of christ thats awful. code 32 recommends replacement of the egr valve and checking the vacuum lines and such. I would look around the engine bay for a rotted lines and check your fuel lines for leaks/a gaping hole fuel is draining out of. 4mpg is bad enough to warrant parking the truck until you find out what it is.
    1994 Chevrolet C1500 Suburban 5.7 260,xxx miles.

1994 Chevrolet C1500 SCLB W/T 4.3 TBI NV3500-(Rebuilt 02/23/12) 3.42 --268,xxx miles -Blew motor (3/20/13)

1992 Toyota Celica (182,000miles) - Sold

Yea man. the fuel lines are fine I checked them. I will get some rubber hose from napa tomorrow and replace the vaccum lines. They do look a little cracked open. I also will replace the EGR. Could a clogged cat do this to? I had straight pipe on and got way better. My cat could be clogged but I dont know how to tell if it is or not?
    1994 k1500 K&N cold air intake, TBI spacer, Edelbrock shortys, Straight pipe exhaust, Corvette Servo.

To answer your question, yes, it will. A bad vacuum line will decrease your mpg by alot. A bad egr valve will also decrease mpg while its in use (such as highways, or going 45mph for awhile).

I think the best way to tell if your cat is clogged is if its red hot, I haven't worked much with cats before.
    Thanks,
    Richard.

'95 Silverado Z71: 3"BL

Quote Originally Posted by Snowboi View Post
    To answer your question, yes, it will. A bad vacuum line will decrease your mpg by alot. A bad egr valve will also decrease mpg while its in use (such as highways, or going 45mph for awhile).

I think the best way to tell if your cat is clogged is if its red hot, I haven't worked much with cats before.
    Ok thanks man. I plan on putting my straight pipe back on and ditching the stock exhaust

What size hosing do I need for the vacuum lines? and how much? Thanks

It's just a small rubber hose, at the auto parts store, they have the right hose you need, you might be able to get off with just going down to a hardware store and buying some small rubber hose, the thick rubber hose, not the small then hose you can easy rip or pinch to cut off airflow.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk.
    Thanks,
    Richard.

Did you check the egr yet? Clean it up and see if that helps
    06-2wd-4.8-5speed-LR4-Z85-40series-Baja 8s-TrueTrac-4.30gears-J&S Performance Tune
    Quote Originally Posted by kyviabama View Post
    Every guy thinks he has an additional 2".

After attempting to clean mine, I wouldn't try to do it again. I did, and awhile after I got the egr code.

Thanks,
    Richard.

I replaced the cracked hoses and elboes. The others looked pretty new and good. I cleaned the EGR and the code came back up after I installed it. So I guess Ill have to get a block of plate or a new one. I also have to get a coolent temp sensor because its idleing high.

Block of plate?
    06-2wd-4.8-5speed-LR4-Z85-40series-Baja 8s-TrueTrac-4.30gears-J&S Performance Tune

I ment block off plate. its cheaper than a new EGR

What does that do?

It close of the hole where the EGR use to be. I dont have emissions so I dont need it.

If your worried about mpg, then just get a new egr, its not hard to replace, and it will pay for itself in saving mpg on the highway. If your just driving around town, then it prolly won't matter much if you have a egr or not.

Edit, what did you clean your egr with, almost any cleaners will ruin the egr, a friend told me water would be best to clean it with, because a lot of the cleaners will disrepute the diaphragm.

Last edited by Snowboi; 03-10-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Thanks,
    Richard.

I didnt replace the EGR because I only drive in town because I live in town . I replace all the hoses and PCV valve. So I check my codes again and code 32 is gone. But now I have code 33 and 35. So should I just clean the (33) map sensor signal and (35) idle air control sensor ? Or replace them?

Anyone out there know what I should do? Im still getting very poor mpgs

Replace it, it might help to replace the tps aswell.

Thanks,
    Richard.

After you replace the EGR check the timing.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

Before you replace check timing, you wouldnt want to buy a new EGR or other sensors just to find out it was just timing.

After I replaced my tps, I noticed I got better mpg, cant tell you exactly how much because I never really checked my mpg, but I know for a fact that it got alot better, not to mention I still have a bad EGR, so replacing the EGR might infact help even more.

When my tps went out, it didnt throw a code, all it did was idle high, and screw the shift points from the trans., after I replaced it, all changed.
    Thanks,
    Richard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast