If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Just got done replacing head gaskets..now the truck wont start! WTF!

This is a discussion on Just got done replacing head gaskets..now the truck wont start! WTF! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My 89 K1500 (350 TBI) was in desperate need of some new intake gaskets so I replaced the head gaskets ...

Just got done replacing head gaskets..now the truck wont start! WTF!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My 89 K1500 (350 TBI) was in desperate need of some new intake gaskets so I replaced the head gaskets while I had it torn down. I put everything back together...now the truck won't start. I had the timing marks on the damper lined up at TDC when I dropped the distributor in, and made sure the rotor was pointing at #1 and it just kept turning over and puffs of fuel shot out of the throttle body. In fear that dizzy was 180 degrees out, I tried turning it 180 degrees and dropping it back in...It acted like it wanted to start but it back fired just a bit. So I lined everything back up and dropped the dizzy back in and I'm back to square one. When I tightened the rockers down I did it as per the haynes manual instructions. I triple checked the firing order and still nothing?!?! WTF. The truck ran before I tore it down, so I doubt there is any issue with the dizzy or coil....I'm running out of patience with this truck. Does anyone have any ideas?
    1989 k1500, LQ4, 33's
    1991 Mustang GT, 347 solid lifter, Griggs GR40
    1972 Triumph Tiger Bobber
    2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Re: Just got done replacing head gaskets..now the truck wont start! WTF!

Does it sound like the cylinders have compression? Are rockers too loose?
    Make sure #1 is on compression stroke when you line up the rotor to number one wire ...Double check firing order and rotation of distributor accordingly, I'd be lying to say I didnt run the wires the wrong way around the distributor before..when you get frustrated sometimes the simplest things get over looked
    Stick to the basics.. Fuel/spark/timing

When I turn the motor over by hand, it does seem a bit too easy to turn over. It's definitely getting fuel (I watched the injectors while it was turning over), and I hooked up an inline spark tester up to #1 and it's getting spark. I just checked the firing order again, and its right, 18436572 in a clockwise pattern around the distributor. With that being said, if the motor is easy to turn over by hand would that mean the the rockers are too tight (not allowing valves to close)? or too loose?
    1989 k1500, LQ4, 33's

Might be too tight...put #1 cyl @ TDC on the compression stroke.. back off the rocker nut till there is lash, then re tighten till all the lash is is gone then turn 1/4 more, repeat for all cylinders then re-try to start..

Betting that the lifter preload is all ****eyed...

Forget the haynes manual. Search google for EO/IC method. Youtube has videos of this (setting lifter preload) from the BoxWrench series.

I found the problem. The problem was me haha. The lifter preload was indeed F'd up. I had followed the manual instructions on the exhaust stroke, instead of the compression stroke. Hopefully this can help out anyone who has these problems in the future. I would also like to give a big thanks to you guys for your help, it is really appreciated.
    1989 k1500, LQ4, 33's

Glad you got it fixed. And you learned something. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it....

Quote Originally Posted by SlowAndHighTBI View Post
    I found the problem. The problem was me haha. The lifter preload was indeed F'd up. I had followed the manual instructions on the exhaust stroke, instead of the compression stroke. Hopefully this can help out anyone who has these problems in the future. I would also like to give a big thanks to you guys for your help, it is really appreciated.
    yup yup. on ohv motors you have to set the rockers by hand by twisting them. on OHC motors you set them with feeler gauges.
    My name is Lauren

1997 C1500 Silverado.
    350 bored .060 to 6.0L
    4l60e with shift kit
    hypertech programmer
    75mm throttle body
    4" spindle lift, 2" block lift, 3" body lift
    31x10.50x15 = looks too small. needs 35's