***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1999 Silverado "Clunking" noise in rear end--Please help!!

This is a discussion on 1999 Silverado "Clunking" noise in rear end--Please help!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi guys, new to the forum. I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500. iIt has 152k on it. The brakes ...

1999 Silverado "Clunking" noise in rear end--Please help!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi guys, new to the forum.
    I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500. iIt has 152k on it. The brakes all around were in need of changing badly. So I replaced the rear rotors, calipers and pads. I also installed 2 piece backing plates from LMC trucks to replace the rusted out old ones. I also attempted to replace the parking break shoe. Upon first test drive I heard some terrible noises going on in the rear including a clunking at every rotation. I started reading around about the nightmare setup for the parking break my year vehicle. So today I pulled the parking brake shoes out all together and test drove it again. There is a clunking going on. I jacked it back up and noticed that I was able to turn the rear wheels when the truck is in park and the key is out. I don't think this is normal. It sounds like there is a clunking in the rear end. While laying under the truck and spinning the wheels, at every rotation, there is a clunking and you can see the driveshaft shake every time it clunks. Any idea what it is? It's strange that I never got this noise before I did the brakes. Please help with ideas.--Thanks

Re: 1999 Silverado "Clunking" noise in rear end--Please help!!

How are your u-joints?

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~
    315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers,

Re: 1999 Silverado "Clunking" noise in rear end--Please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by oneloudz71 View Post
    How are your u-joints?
    I may need u joints but, I don't think that it has anything to do with the u joints. When the truck is up in the air and in park, both tires turn by hand at each revolution there is a clanking noise. Same noise when I drive it. Very loud!! Laying under the truck, you can see the stationary driveshaft jump each time it clanks. The odd part is that it didn't make this noise before I changed the rear, calipers, rotors, pads and 2 piece backing plates. ?? How do I break the rear end changing the rear brakes?? Very strange!!