GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2003 Silverado No Start, PK3 bypass?!

This is a discussion on 2003 Silverado No Start, PK3 bypass?! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey everybody, I'm new, my name is Jordan. I was an auto tech for 7 years, and have left the ...

2003 Silverado No Start, PK3 bypass?!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey everybody, I'm new, my name is Jordan. I was an auto tech
    for 7 years, and have left the line for an office job (going on 3 years).
    I may be a little on the rusty side, but this thing is making me scratch
    my head more than the usual issue.

I'm working on a truck with a no start condition.
    First off its a wiring nightmare, the previous owner had a system, alarm,
    strobes, loud speaker, all wired into the factory harnesses at various points.
    Now that I've gotten all that sorted out and isolated the actual GM circuits, here's what
    happens: (Updated)
    Key goes into the ignition, turn to acc, all accessories come on, turn to run, gauges all come on and
    then to start, no click, no nothing.
    I now have the relay working and clicking over (Previously not working due to aftermarket wiring nightmare). ignition switch is new. I found 3.1 ohms between the small starter solenoid wire to the relay. Starter has been bench tested and is good.
    Last edited by Rubberberner; 07-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Re: 2003 Silverado No Start, PK3 bypass?!

Verified the relay is getting power from the power side of the control coil, other side is supplied ground by the ignition switch.
    Verified the relay is in correct working condition, and tried to swap it. but the problem is the control leg of the relay going to the PCM
    Yel/blk wire is not being grounded by the pcm. Trouble Chart on mitchell led me to replace PCM. But I'm not entirely confident about that. Does anybody know all the things the pcm has to determine to send the ground signal for the relay and send power to the starter solenoid? Any alarm guys here that have installed remote start that may have this info, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm getting my hands on a Tech 2 tomorrow so I'll be able to read any bcm codes that are not coming up on my generic scan tool.
    Last edited by Rubberberner; 07-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.

What are all the inputs to the PCM that determine if it will crank the starter or not?

Neutral Savety switch, what else?

Passlock only stops fuel but it will still crank and try to fire so thats not your problem, look into the ign switch crank circuit and the NSS or the starter solenoid.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

its called part of park nuetral position switch after 2000ish, nut looks like if you have the 12v its good. maybe pcm is not getting crank voltage signal you check that fuse?
    Last edited by ToyHauler; 07-14-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

Re: 2003 Silverado No Start No Crank

Redvette- yea I ruled out the passlock when I remembered it only controls the injectors.

ToyHauler- Yes I checked the crank fuse, actually the first thing I checked, its good, checked starter on the bench, its good. So I was thinking it may be wiring. I found .1 to .2 ohms on the larger connector on the starter all the way back to the junction block, and battery, and around to the 40A ign fuse. But from the smaller starter solenoid wire to the starter relay (leg 87) had 3.1 ohms. Seems excessive since there's nothing between the two?! What do you guys think?

you said you are not getting the ground from the pcm so that cant be the problem. you check the fuse with a meter and that pcm pin 59 to see if the crank signal is there, sometimes the fuse is technically good but not really passing the signal because of a bad fuse socket connection or an open wire somewhere alone the wire to the pcm
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. I removed some wiring issues on the ignition switch caused by after market alarm
    Stuff... so now my relay is clicking and with the cover off I can see the contacts touching. So my PCM is sending the ground signal to the control side of the relay properly. Now I'm looking into the engine bay wiring, because everything else appears good.

same thing for the relay socket then they can loosen up, could be why you get 3ohms. see if you get 12v on the solenoid. if it goes down to some weird voltage its a connection issue or less likely but possible intermittent short to chassis in the wire from relay to solenoid.
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr