If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check engine light flashing??

This is a discussion on Check engine light flashing?? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey, guys! I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and when I stomped on the gas to ...

Check engine light flashing??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey, guys! I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and when I stomped on the gas to pass someone on the highway, it felt like my engine wasn't running the best then the check engine light started flashing. Once I got around the car my truck ran fine again and the light stopped flashing so any ideas on what is going bad? Any help would be nice, thanks!

Re: Check engine light flashing??

CEL Flashing means random misfire. Go get it checked out.
    '00 Chevy Silverado Z71, 233k miles
    '06 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Tow Pig
    '98 Chevy K1500 ECSB, SAS - Sold
    '94 GMC C1500 RCLB, DD - Sold
    Some guys think that if you got a cooler car that your better then other guys; Those guys are right. - Adam Farrara

Indeed missfire

A misfire is not the ONLY reason the light will flash, but under the conditions described it is the most likely reason. Go have the codes scanned and see what is says as the code will be stored even if the light is still not on.

ok thanks! so what are the possible causes of a missfire in my case? all I can think of is sparkplugs (replaced 10,000 miles ago) and wires. I just think its weird that its only doing it when I stomp on the gas..

You are putting a higher load on the engine and thus a higher demand on the ignition system. It's quite possible that it can handle low to normal loading but not the high load demand. If you recently replaced the spark plugs I would be suspicious of anything disturbed during this time. Are all of the plugs still tight and in good shape (maybe had a bad gap on one to begin with). Did you put new wires on it or re-use the the old ones (can't tell for sure by your comment). Regarding the wires it's not unusual for them to get stressed and partially tear away from the connections, which would cause a high resistance and lead to this type of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by grayblazer View Post
    You are putting a higher load on the engine and thus a higher demand on the ignition system. It's quite possible that it can handle low to normal loading but not the high load demand. If you recently replaced the spark plugs I would be suspicious of anything disturbed during this time. Are all of the plugs still tight and in good shape (maybe had a bad gap on one to begin with). Did you put new wires on it or re-use the the old ones (can't tell for sure by your comment). Regarding the wires it's not unusual for them to get stressed and partially tear away from the connections, which would cause a high resistance and lead to this type of issue.

I checked all of the gaps before I put the plugs in so Im hoping they are still fine. I did not replace wires yet and I am guessing the are still the originals so I might just replace them because I am at 110,000miles. When my engine cools down I will double check to make sure everything is tight. Is there anything else I would need to check? thanks for the replies

oh boy, went to start my truck to go into town and it would start up then die.. once I gave it gas it would stay running but it definitely is missing really bad. hopefully I can make it to my college classes then I will pick up some spark plug wires and see if that fixes the problem. Is there anything else that could be wrong besides sparkplugs and the wires?

Are they e3 plugs?

Does the 01 have a distributor or coil packs? I had a grand prix doing about the same thing and it was coil packs.
    Jeff

'88 chevy k3500 aluminum head 454
    NV 4500

'84 chevy short bed dana 60 14bolt ff 383 stroker
    44" boggers (rear) 44" tsl (front) hydraulic assist
    welded front and rear 5.13 gears
    th400 np205 twin stick -SOLD-

not likley the ign will cause it to run that bad, you would have to have more than one or two coils or wires go bad. i would suspect check fuel pressure when thet gets low you can get multiple misfires. can be caused by pump going out, bad filter, fpr etc..
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

Hopefully you don't cause any damage if it's running that bad... really hard to say what's happening without the codes. My dad's '03 had a converter plug up and under real light loads/easy driving it ran ok, but any time you hammered it, it misfired and didn't have much power.

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

ok I went to a place and they checked for codes and nothing showed up... I started my truck up this morning and it ran fine but every once in a while when I stopped at a light I can feel it shake just a little bit like it is missing so this is frustrating the hell out of me!! Its weird that it can go from running terrible to running alright when I havn't even done anything. I am going to replace my spark plug wires now and my sparkplugs are ac delcos. thanks for replying

I had this same thing happen to my truck '99 w/ the 5.3 shortly after I changed the plugs and wires. It would "buck" really bad, thought I was losing the transmission. I then was pulling a stock trailer to go get furniture for our new house. Started out with the check engine light and then it start flashing and the bucking started getting worse. So bad that it actually loosened the trailer ball from the hitch. I had to stop and buy tools to tighten it back up. Took it to my buddy ready to put a transmission in it. He said wait, scanned it and it came back with misfire. I told him that I had just changed the plugs and wires. AC plugs/AutoZone wires. He said change the wires. I went and got a set of AC wires put on it. All has been fine since. Over 4 years and 30k miles including towing our 36' almost 10k lb camper. Glad I didn't put a tranny in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
    I had this same thing happen to my truck '99 w/ the 5.3 shortly after I changed the plugs and wires. It would "buck" really bad, thought I was losing the transmission. I then was pulling a stock trailer to go get furniture for our new house. Started out with the check engine light and then it start flashing and the bucking started getting worse. So bad that it actually loosened the trailer ball from the hitch. I had to stop and buy tools to tighten it back up. Took it to my buddy ready to put a transmission in it. He said wait, scanned it and it came back with misfire. I told him that I had just changed the plugs and wires. AC plugs/AutoZone wires. He said change the wires. I went and got a set of AC wires put on it. All has been fine since. Over 4 years and 30k miles including towing our 36' almost 10k lb camper. Glad I didn't put a tranny in it.

Dang sounds like you had it pretty bad! well I just put the wires on and it seems to be fine but now I noticed a faint knocking noise on the left side of the motor somewhere near the intake. Its not loud at all but I can hear it when I open the hood and its a really fast knocking noise. The noise maybe was there before I just never really listened to my engine with the hood up but who knows.

Your piston wouldnt be hitting the end of that plug slightly would it?
    Carson

'99 Chevy Suburban 2500 2WD
    '04 Chevy Suburban 2500 4wd Quadrasteer (soon to be LBZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Headstrong-- View Post
    Dang sounds like you had it pretty bad! well I just put the wires on and it seems to be fine but now I noticed a faint knocking noise on the left side of the motor somewhere near the intake. Its not loud at all but I can hear it when I open the hood and its a really fast knocking noise. The noise maybe was there before I just never really listened to my engine with the hood up but who knows.
    I don't have a 5.3 but don't they all have piston slap noise?
    Jeff

'88 chevy k3500 aluminum head 454
    NV 4500

'84 chevy short bed dana 60 14bolt ff 383 stroker
    44" boggers (rear) 44" tsl (front) hydraulic assist
    welded front and rear 5.13 gears
    th400 np205 twin stick -SOLD-

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie44s View Post
    I don't have a 5.3 but don't they all have piston slap noise?
    Oh well if thats what he's talking about then i would guess so because my moms 02 5.3l burban has that noise....
    Carson

'99 Chevy Suburban 2500 2WD
    '04 Chevy Suburban 2500 4wd Quadrasteer (soon to be LBZ)

truck newb

just an FYI, when you have a flashing CEL, you're supposed to pull over and shut off the engine. flashing means the misfire is so bad that you can damage the cat from basically dumping raw fuel into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
    just an FYI, when you have a flashing CEL, you're supposed to pull over and shut off the engine. flashing means the misfire is so bad that you can damage the cat from basically dumping raw fuel into it.

Oh thats nice ha... well I guess it only happend twice so hopefully I didnt mess it up too bad. the knocking went away and I know it wasn't the piston hitting the plugs or the piston slap noise (only does it on cold starts). Well with the new spark plug wires my truck seems to be running fine so hopefully I don't experience anymore problems. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast