***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1993 3500HD Drag Link/Tie Rod question

This is a discussion on 1993 3500HD Drag Link/Tie Rod question within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; So I took my truck to be inspected today, and they tell me it needs a drag link replaced on ...

1993 3500HD Drag Link/Tie Rod question

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So I took my truck to be inspected today, and they tell me it needs a drag link replaced on the passenger side. But they want to send me to someone else to have it done because it will need aligned and the shop cant do it (its a bucket truck), then I can come back, they check it out and put a sticker on it. First I go home, check out what they told me was worn out, looks like a tie rod end. So I look up online the cost and its astronomical, $500 for the part, or $340 if I shop around, but thats a whole 56 inch long link with the tie rod end on it. The end thats worn threads into this long rod, but it has a very slight crimp to it at the threads. Anyone know if I can get just the end? Its a tie rod end, then the steering link from the pitman arm attaches to it at about 8 inches up from the end. Then about 3 inches from that it threads into this long bar that goes to the other (driver side) steering knuckle. My truck has the I beam type axle. Anyone else have this problem? Its a 3500HD 1993.

Re: 1993 3500HD Drag Link/Tie Rod question

should be able to get just the ends.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Anyone happen to know where I can get just the end, I found the part listed on Autozones site, however it still is the long rod included, its MOOG part number DS80520 and lists for $550. It has an end on this long rod, but I called my local Chevy dealer today and they told me the entire rod is considered the right tie rod end or drag link end, and its 56 inches long, however to me the end looks like it threads off that long rod. It is an end, then 8 inches down it the pitman arm connecting link attaches to it, then about 3 inches from that the end threads into this long rod, the threaded portion is 1 1/4 inch diameter. Its definitely heavy duty.

O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r