If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

01 Silverado 1500 Z71 - Grinding Noise from Drivers Side Front Wheel

This is a discussion on 01 Silverado 1500 Z71 - Grinding Noise from Drivers Side Front Wheel within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello, I had an issue this past weekend with the drivers side front wheel making a loud popping and clacking ...

01 Silverado 1500 Z71 - Grinding Noise from Drivers Side Front Wheel

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hello,

I had an issue this past weekend with the drivers side front wheel making a loud popping and clacking noise when the wheel was moving. I replaced the CV Axle shaft, but after getting everything back together last night, I noticed that I still have a loud noise coming from that wheel when the vehicle is in motion.

My first thought was that something had gone on with the brakes, since I put the old rotor/pads back on after the half shaft replacement, but am still not sure.

A couple of other issues come to mind:

1. When I pulled the hub nut off of the old half shaft, there was a thick black washer behind it. Since the new half shaft did not come with a washer, I reused this washer when installing the new shaft. Should I have put this washer back in or not?

2. When tightening the hub nut, I used a 1/2" drive bar and a mini sledge to torque the nut down. I sinched it down pretty tight. (Dumb move on my part, I know... I since learned that the torque spec for the hub nut is 177 ft/lb) * Thoughts are I may have crused the wheel bearing *

Running out of ideas. My plans are tonight to put the truck back up on the jack and check for play in the left front wheel. After that, I am going to pull the new half shaft and then turn the hub manually to see if my noise is still present.

Any other ideas/suggestions?? Wanting to get the truck back on the road before this weekend... missing good fishing weather

Re: 01 Silverado 1500 Z71 - Grinding Noise from Drivers Side Front Wheel

might just be a bad wheel bearing, did you check for play in it when you had it off the ground?
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

That is the plans for this afternoon. I had to quit yesterday evening after getting it back together and road testing it... The lawn was getting tall and needed cut before I started losing people in it.
    If the rain will hold out today, I am going to jack it up and check for play in the wheel.

Yes you should have put that washer back in behind the hub nut.

Check for play in the wheel bearing.

That hub nut is going to be the highest torqued item in the whole truck at 177ftlbs. You should really get yourself a torque wrench. Over tightening stuff causes damage.
    DD -07 Illverado, 5.3, Airaid, 2" Procomp level, HID projectors, LED in/out, colormatched ext/int, chrome 20s on 275/55, 15% over factory, rollpan, RST spoiler, lots of mods
    GONE - 05 Yukon XL - ex took me for it
    Project - 94 S10 Blazer 4x4, 3+3, 33s on 17s, 880watt system, tint, HID, mods+

Ok. Just wanted to make sure that the washer went back in. Neither the videos on youtube nor the haynes manual address that washer.

For the record, I do have a S&K torque wrench, however it only reads to 150 ft/lb.. Will be investing in a nice clicker style after this mishap.

Should I leave the wheel on but just elevated to check for play, or should I remove the wheel and pull on the hub itself? Trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can actually do some useful testing this afternoon

Jack the wheel off the ground by the control arm.

Grab the bottom of the wheel and try to move it in and out.

You won't have any trouble figuring it out, if the hub bearing is bad. (probably is)

Just changed one of mine on Sun... what a PITA... took almost an hour, and I got a smudge on my jeans besides. Although that did include rotating the tires, so I kept having to move the jack.

Don't worry about "torque spec". That's a bunch of "measure with micrometer mark with chalk cut with axe". Just tighten the crap out of it. You won't "crush" anything. As tight as you can get it, should be just about enough. Don't outsmart yourself over something THAT simple.

RB04Av, how stuipd are you?
    Yeah I did call you stupid and will do it again.
    Bearings are one of the huge things that need to be torqued properly to keep them together.
    Granted an older style for an example. On the 2wd's the rotor comes off by taking the bearings out individually, not as a unit.
    Newer they are a unit. The torque for my 96 if I remeber correctly is 25 ft lb's turn the tire then hand tight.
    The torque and rotation seats the bearings, the final hand tight or snug holds the bearing as tight as need be.

Not torquing them will cause the tire to fall off, over torquing them causes the bearing to burn up and then the tire to fall off.

Either way your comment was just plain stupid and should be ignored.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

how stuipd are you?
    Mighty damn stoopid. Wanna have a contest?

The torque for my 96 if I remeber correctly is 25 ft lb's turn the tire then hand tight
    Terrific advice... FOR SOME OTHER VEHICLE besides what he's working on.

That's how you assemble a 2WD setup. Which is not what he's got. (or what I've got either)

I hammered mine down with an impact set on "kill"; let it eat for a bit, prolly about 10 good hits.

On a hub bearing, it's one GREAT BIG THICK piece of metal... when you "torque" that nut, all you're doing, is tightening it against the bearing bore. Might as well be a piece of " wall pipe. You can tighten em as tight as you want, as long as you don't strip the threads or stretch the axle shaft.

You comment is just plain STUIPD and should be ignored.

Go work on a 4WD before you give advice about them. ;) You're smarter than this, don't ruin your credibility this way.
    Last edited by RB04Av; 04-23-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Maybe I worded my sentence a little wrong, but why I said as an example.
    Bearings are torqued for a reason. As I stated.
    Yes his is 4wd, yes I have worked on 4wds, why I used mine as an example to demonstrate the idea behind having the correct torque.

Nothing I said ruined my credibility, just yours with the comments you posted.
    Again you did it.

When these bearings were first made they did need the torque to hold them together, however the new style does not. Case in point I can take a pic, my 03 has 4wd hubs on it with no half shaft or nut.
    However when you move onto other things they do. Not knowing if the bearings (even the same look) need that torque or not can and has killed people.
    Go to a 2wd or trailer, etc... they need torqued.
    Overtorquing even though these do not need torqued, you can strech and strip the threads. May not be so important on this, but that is one of the biggest reason bolts break.

Their is a reason these get torqued, and a reason pretty much everyone said torque to 177 ft lb's (I believe, didn't look again).
    Even the OP stated he messed up and want's to do it right.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by RB04Av View Post
    Don't worry about "torque spec". That's a bunch of "measure with micrometer mark with chalk cut with axe". Just tighten the crap out of it. You won't "crush" anything. As tight as you can get it, should be just about enough. Don't outsmart yourself over something THAT simple.
    Wow, this is the kind of advice you dont want to listen to. Torque specs are there for a reason. Let this moron have his wheel go flying off and kill someone, or cost him berrings every 10,000mi just cause he doesnt like to follow instructions. Tightening the crap out of things is just bad all together. It strips threads, puts extra load on things, and is never a good idea.

And dont worry about advice like this from the occasional idiot. Theres plenty of us that know better than will pop in and correct them, some of us are actually licensed technitians too, not redneck yokels that git-er-done.

Anyways, to adress the issue, jack up the suspected wheel and have someone grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and push it back and forth while you get behind the wheel and look at the bearing. The bearing should have ZERO play in it, if there is any movement then replace it. And for the record, 100ftlbs should be plenty for the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the hub bearing to the knuckle from the backside. 30-40 ftlbs for the caliper bolts, and 100ftlbs for the caliper bracket to hub bolts. If that bearing doesnt want to come out of the knuckle when all the bolts are out, then feel free to beat the crap out of the old bearing with a BFH (Big Effin Hammer) to get it out.

Rockauto.com is also a great place to order your knew bearing from. Stay away from the cheapo brands and go for the midrange in price. Whatever you choose + shipping is still gonna beat the pants off whatever NAPA wants for the part. I even order from these guys and Im in Canada and save money with the shipping and duty charges over what my local parts stores will sell for.
    Last edited by SoSoFLY; 04-23-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    DD -07 Illverado, 5.3, Airaid, 2" Procomp level, HID projectors, LED in/out, colormatched ext/int, chrome 20s on 275/55, 15% over factory, rollpan, RST spoiler, lots of mods
    GONE - 05 Yukon XL - ex took me for it
    Project - 94 S10 Blazer 4x4, 3+3, 33s on 17s, 880watt system, tint, HID, mods+

OK. Didn't mean to start a flaming war here.. but I did want to report back with progress this evening.

After getting back home, I jacked the wheel up and checked for play and grinding. I observed both a grinding noise and play in the bearing.. (1/8" to 3/16" of play by estimate)

I then removed the wheel, caliper, and rotor and checked the hub for play and grinding. It was still observed. For purity, I removed the new CV Axle shaft and checked for play and grinding again. Again it was evident.

I have removed the hub assembly and will be replacing it tomorrow.

On a side note, just for the hell of it I stuck a torque wrench on the hub nut prior to removing it. It was torqued in the neighborhood of 150 ft/lb so at least it wasn't my "poor mans impact wrench" that crushed the bearing. :-)

Thanks all for the help and support. I look forward to being back on the road tomorrow evening and hopefully hitting the lake Thursday and Friday afternoon this week

There's no "bearing crush" on that.

There's a time and a place for concern with that sort of details; this ain't it. Regardless of what people WHO HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE AND DON'T KNOW HOW IT'S PUT TOGETHER have to say about it.

You'll be AMAZED at how much better your truck drives: specifically, how much better it goes in a straight line all by itself. Might even make you want to get after the other one as well.