***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

06 silverado brake rattle over bumps??

This is a discussion on 06 silverado brake rattle over bumps?? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi I have a 2006 chevrolet silverado 3500 single rear wheel. The front brakes make a rattling sound over the ...

06 silverado brake rattle over bumps??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi I have a 2006 chevrolet silverado 3500 single rear wheel. The front brakes make a rattling sound over the bumps and potholes. brakes seem to work fine. just an annoying rattle. recently took them apart and bought new caliper brackets both sides new pins and clips and all was well for about a week then the rattle came back. I live in michigan and on a dirt road. Any suggestions? thank you i advance!

Re: 06 silverado brake rattle over bumps??

truck is crew cab long bed if needed and also 4WD and has the 6.0 and the not allison transmission whatever is factory, really don't know or care about the trans as it work fabulously. truck does have 170,000 miles. i think i hit all the bases

Are the clips in place on the pads?

yes. and they are new. came with the hardware kit at my local autozone. hardware pack included all clips pins that rubber piece on the end of the pin. and the rubbers that shield the pins from dirt and grime. seems like i can physically move the caliper up and down while everything is supposed under tension.
    Last edited by tone1978; 07-17-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Take the tires off and retighten the calipers making sure they are as tight as you can possibly get them with a breaker bar (you won't hurt these.) Also I would check for play in the A-arms, ball-joints, and wheel bearings. Also grab your center cap and see if it moves. If so that could be your sound problem also.
    Carson

'99 Chevy Suburban 2500 2WD
    '04 Chevy Suburban 2500 4wd Quadrasteer (soon to be LBZ)

Registered User southcarolina13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greygorilla View Post
    Take the tires off and retighten the calipers making sure they are as tight as you can possibly get them with a breaker bar (you won't hurt these.) Also I would check for play in the A-arms, ball-joints, and wheel bearings. Also grab your center cap and see if it moves. If so that could be your sound problem also.
    i disagree with the tightening as tight as you can part. i always torque to specs and ASE mandates that. if you dont have a torque wrench then you should get one. i realize that a lot of people dont do it but it should be done.

OP- get a torque wrench if you dont have one and heres the specs

Brake Caliper Front Rear
    Bracket Bolts (ft lbs) 133 31
    Mounting Bolts (ft lbs) 140 148

We don't even torque brakes at the dealer I work at >.> good and tight is more than enough IMO

-Ziggy-
    2002 silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 5.3L

current mods -

Aftermarket speakers and aftermarket headunit
    Cree reverse light bulbs
    Custom flowmaster original 40 series exhaust
    Candied tails
    Blackbear Tune

Future
    Converted cluster bulbs to leds - only turn signals to go

Had same problem. Tried noise free pads still rattled. Applied that orange goopy brake noisequiet stuff and whata ya know after
    ]about a year of driving myself nuts over dreadful embarrassing rattle. It made my day

I Hate You All, Equally.

I always feel for other 2500/3500 truck drivers out there when I hear them rattling over every bump. My rear calipers were doing it really bad this whole winter and finally got the time to replace the hardware on them earlier this summer.

I find that the calipers need to be filed and cleaned in some key places, so that the rattle clips seat better, which lets the caliper slide better, while not removing enough material to increase tolerances. That and copious amounts of quality brake lubricant will keep them quiet for a while, until the pads start to wear.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by southcarolina13 View Post
    i disagree with the tightening as tight as you can part. i always torque to specs and ASE mandates that. if you dont have a torque wrench then you should get one. i realize that a lot of people dont do it but it should be done.

OP- get a torque wrench if you dont have one and heres the specs

Brake Caliper Front Rear
    Bracket Bolts (ft lbs) 133 31

Southcarolina13 I do not disagree with you on torqueing these properly as I know if there are torque specs they should be used, but as far as these brakes go especially if I am repairing them and really especially if this is the first time for them to be pulled of it'll take every bit of a breaker bar and probably even a little cheater for me to get them off. Also depending on which side I'm doing. I am 20 yrs old and 6', but only around 155 pounds. So if I do the driver's side it'll take every bit of a breaker and cheater and me bouncing on them to get them off haha, so when I put them back on I just crank down on them, because I know I won't hurt these lol.
    Mounting Bolts (ft lbs) 140 148
    Carson

'99 Chevy Suburban 2500 2WD
    '04 Chevy Suburban 2500 4wd Quadrasteer (soon to be LBZ)