GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

clutch replacement and transmission questions - '89 c1500 5sp v6

This is a discussion on clutch replacement and transmission questions - '89 c1500 5sp v6 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i have a 1989 c1500 scottsdale with the 5 speed manual and 4.3L v6, and tomorrow i will be changing ...

Question clutch replacement and transmission questions - '89 c1500 5sp v6

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i have a 1989 c1500 scottsdale with the 5 speed manual and 4.3L v6, and tomorrow i will be changing the clutch.

i was wondering if anyone had any pointers on getting it out and tricks/tips on getting it back in. Also, invariably, i am probably going to leak some gear oil out of the back when i pull it out, so i was wondering what the recommended gear oil is to top it off and exactly where to i put the new oil? i've had the truck since 1992 and have never had to service or had service done on the transmission, so probably it's the only part of the truck that i've never had off.

the transmission probably has close to 500,000 miles on it and it has never skipped a beat, it has outlived the original engine and rearend. Since it is going to be out anyway, should i change the fluid, if so, how much goes/what kind in there and does it require an additive? or should i just top it off if it needs it and leave well enough alone? it's my daily driver, so it has to be reliable.

thanks for any input, information or advice.

Re: clutch replacement and transmission questions - '89 c1500 5sp v6

Why not drain trans and put new oil in if its just reg gear its cheap to buy. Make sure you align the disks before install and don't jar the trans during install or you could shift a disk. And do not suck it in with bolts seen that mistake to many times.

If no one answers what oil and how much Ill try and look it up in manual tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieboy77 View Post
    If no one answers what oil and how much Ill try and look it up in manual tonight.
    gm synchro mesh stuff.
    go here for more info:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ven...on#Lubrication
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Registered User joelmgrandfield's Avatar

Drain the transmission before you pull it, save a mess and will lighted the load a pound or two. If it is 80 or 90w gear oil Not many things worse than getting gear oil spilled all over everything, its like honey hard to cleanup and sticks to everything. If it is ATF, it still makes a mess. It will save time in the long run to just drain it. something I always do now is loosen the fill plug before you remove the drain plug, just to make sure the fill plug will come out. I had a truck that I drained the gear oil, then couldn't get the fill plug out, I had to remove the shift boot, and open the top of the transmission to pour in the oil. Also, your clutch kit should have an alignment tool for your disk and pilot bearing, USE IT. Take your flywheel in to a machine shop to have the clutch disc surface resurfaced. While you have the transmission out, replace your input shaft seal and the output seal. they are cheap and it sure would suck to have to pull that transmission again in a couple of months when it starts leaking, If the leak is bad enough you would have to replace the clutch again too if it gets contaminated. Clean the clutch fork assembly and put a tiny dab of high temp grease on each of the pivot contact points and throw out bearing contact points,
    2000 Cadillac Escalade
    1994 K1500
    1992 D350 Dodge, Cummins
    1988 k1500 Camper Special
    1982 AMC Eagle, SX/4
    1967 International Scout 800
    1960 Ford F100
    1927 Ford T, Sedan Hot Rod

thanks for the input guys, it's been helpful.

it better have the correct oil in it. ensure the correct oil is used.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

thanks, Neumanzz, i found some pennzoil syncromesh at my o'reilly's, they don't keep it on the shelf, they had to get it out of the back. strange, but at least they had it. i'm going to put the transmission in tomorrow night...needless to say, this has been a learning experience.

Like said pull or atleast loosen the fill plug first then drain it.
    It is easier to keep the shifter off the top once reinstalled. Pull the fill plug and fill it from the shifter hole, until it comes out the fill plug.
    Put the fill plug and shifter back on.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.