If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally Chevy addresses wiper problems....

This is a discussion on Finally Chevy addresses wiper problems.... within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Just recieved this in the mail: Dear Chevrolet Customer: As the owner of a 1997 Chevrolet Blazer os S10 Pickup; ...

Exclamation Finally Chevy addresses wiper problems....

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Just recieved this in the mail:

Dear Chevrolet Customer:
    As the owner of a 1997 Chevrolet Blazer os S10 Pickup; 1995, 1996; or 1997 Chevrolet Astro or C/K Crew Cab; or a 1994, 95, 96, or 97 C/K Pivkup. Tahoe or Suburban vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. Your vehicle was provided with a new vehicle warranty, which covers certain parts of your vehicle for a specified period. These warranties are of considerable value to you if you should experience problems with your vehicle.
    This letter is intended to make you aware that some 1997 Chevrolet Blazer and S10 Pickup; 1995, 96, and 97 Chevrolet Astro and C/K Crew Cab; 1994, 95, 96 and 97 C/K Pickup, Tahoe, and Suburban may have a windsheild wiper motor that fails due to cracked solder joints on the controller circuit board. This will cause the wipers to work intermittently or not at all.
    This is not a recall, do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
    What we have done:
    To address the above mentioned condition, General Motors is providing you with special warranty coverage. If this condition occurs on your **vehicles listed** within 7 years of the date your vehicle was oiginally placed in service or 70,000 miles which ever occurs first, or for those vehicles currently outside this coverage, unitl February 29, 2004, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.
    What you should do:
    Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glovebox literature for future reference.
    Reimbursement:
    (Statement for all states except as shown below)
    If you have already paid for some or all the cost to have your wiper motor replaced and you have not recieved reimbursement under a Vehicle Service Contract, and the repair was performed before March 14, 2003, you should contact your dealer to seek reimbursement. Please provide your dealer with you original paid reciepts or invoices verifying the repair, the amount charged, proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of repair, your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned above, must be recieved by your dealer by February 29, 2004.
    (Statement for Californina, Conneticut, Virginia, and Wisconsin)
    If you have already paid for some or all the cost to have your wiper motor replaced, and you have not recieved reimbursement under a Vehicle Service Contract, and the repair was performed before March 14, 2003, you should write to Chevrolet Motor Division, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI, 48232-5170, to seek reimbursement. Please provide your original paid reciepts or invoices verifying the repair, the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of payment for those charges and proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair. This information must be provided within two (2) years after the date on which you paid for the repair.
    If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your Chevrolet dealer or the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-833-2438 (utilizes Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf/Text Telephones, TDD/TYY).
    We are sory for any inconvenience you may ahve experienced; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
    Chevrolet Motor Division
    General Motors Corporation

Broken and Twisted...<<Fate is a Funny Thing, but No One is Laughing.>>

they forgot the earlier years, i had that happen awhile ago and didn't know about the soldering connections and just got a replacement

Jake

1991 GMC 1500, 4X4, short bed, 5.7 liter, 4L60, BF Goodrich T/A KO 265/75R16, K&N air filter, Flowmaster

Thank God Ima Country Boy Z71IN''s Avatar
    Yeah, I just got that letter too. My 97' has been acting up for months now. Guess I'll get it fixed now. I never did anything because it only acts up sometimes... and when it does it would just stay on for 5 or 10 strokes after I switch them off (or stay on constant when I had it on intermittent) and then finally turn off. It's on the list of things to do!!!!
    2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 - came stock with huge payment
    Flowmaster & Wester's 89/93 Dual Tuned

Takes 'em long enough.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

formerly rcfast
    well i have a 98 that the wipers will keep goin after you turn them off or just suddenly turn off in an up-right position or they won't turn off at all...i was wondering if there was a recall on the 98's also or if anyone had a similar problem...

I seem to have the same types of problems you guys are mentioning. When i push the lever to make my windshield washer fluid work, the wipers come one and stay on for about 20 wipes. Then sometimes they will sut off in the up posistion. My windshield washer fluid also quit working recently. It used to work but now it only works on some days, and I check to see if everything was plugged in, and everything is. Could this have something to do with what chevy was talking about, or is this a completly different problem? By the way mine is a 93, so did they forget to include the older years in the letter??

Thanks

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar
    I got that same letter last week. Unfortunately, I am well past 70,000 miles! Never had a problem though.

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Originally posted by 97Silverado
    I got that same letter last week. Unfortunately, I am well past 70,000 miles! Never had a problem though.
    Me too.
    or for those vehicles currently outside this coverage, unitl February 29, 2004, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.
    1996 Chevy Tahoe-2dr 2wd
    -Tint
    -Compustar 2-way paging alarm
    -Pioneer 850mp w/ 2 Pioneer 10" subs powered by a 900watt RF amp

wiper problem

i had the same problem with my wipers 95 chevy, however did not get a letter, replaceed the module and everything works fine.paid $74.93. truck had 76500 miles at the time ,found out about recall and send my info in with all supporting doc.heard back from chevrolet no go on refund,replied back useing some :realmad: some strong words like never again or my children or grand children, threw a few others in for good measure maybe lawsuit who knows:LOL: suprize,suprize got a check in the mail in full 3 weeks later. so don't take no or mileage as a answer it's there product and they must make it right. good luck!!!!

Re: Finally Chevy addresses wiper problems....

I'm waking this biotch up. This is the most annoying thing, its 90 degrees and my f*@"~^g wipers turn on.
    So, the reason the wipers come on randomly is the cracked solder joints on the controller circuit board?
    Is the control module the same thing as the control curcuit board?
    I bought a new control module and they still come on randomly and never shut off when I try to turn them off.
    I got so pissed I unplugged them.

Linesider

Yep.... This is an oldie.

Sorry I cannot answer your questions specifically. If your truck had the "wiper campaign" done there will be a sticker under the hood and on the core support noting the campaign # and the date it was done. They track it via the VIN. Mine already had it done when bought it (thank god).

I remember owning a couple OBS's years ago (89 3500 and 95 2500) that had the wiper problem. It was a real PITA. The wipers would just come on sporadically or not come on at all when you needed them. Pretty dangerous in a bad storm on the highway.
    1996 Chevy K1500 Z71 ECSB

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

WOW, this is old.... But it's a problem still. Yes you can either replace the circuit board in the wiper motor, or replace the entire motor.

I did the later, but I also swapped out before the recall happened. I was later reimbursed from the dealership. I never had an issue after.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

now when's the NBS fuel gauge bulletin going to come out..

litespeed,
    doesnt look like it was done. I havent seen any stickers or anything under the hood.

Looks like I'll be replacing the motor. Hope this resolves this problem.

Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

like a rock

This was a recall back in the day I know because my truck was recalled for it.
    1994 ECSB K1500 F44 Z71, 295/75/16 tires.

I'm not real familiar with the coming on, satying on symptom, but the intermittant part, I have fixed on several trucks. The motor assembly comes off the firewall easily enough, but you can just remove the cover and resolder the large input connections. Mine has lasted many years this way and the soldering is very easy.

I can't speak for the coming on, satying on symptom but the doesn't work part is easier to fix than replace.
    1995 C1500 ext cab short bed mild externally modded 350/ auto; 3.73 w/ LockRight 197,00 miles and climbing, Gotta love Amsoil!

1994/ 1997 K2500 crew cab shortend bed in the works. NO engine yet. We'll have to see what comes my way. "Truckenstein"

I had this problem on my 98. I replaced the motor and all was well again.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Looks like I'm grabbin a new motor, the guy I bought my truck from told me about this problem but it hasn't been a problem for me yet as we're going through a heat wave with no rain in sight. Might as well get it fixed now before the typical Pacific northwest weather comes back.

They started that a while ago, just that alot of people still don't know about it.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

so you can still take it to any dealership and get it fixed?
    my trucks wipers sometimes dont want to work and ive never felt like pulling the board out and try to solder it. im to lazy... i just rainXed the crap outta my windshield. ;) so far they havent not worked in the rain other than once when it was lightly sprinkling.
    97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast