***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

5.7 vortec oil consumption

This is a discussion on 5.7 vortec oil consumption within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 98 GMC Sierra with the 350 vortec in it. It uses roughly 1 quart per 1000 miles ...

5.7 vortec oil consumption

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 98 GMC Sierra with the 350 vortec in it. It uses roughly 1 quart per 1000 miles or a little less. I bought it with 111,000 on it now it has 118,000.

It does not leak any externally to speak of, however, the two middle cylinders ( I think #s 4 and 6) on the passenger side seems to be where all the oil is going. There is a lot of buildup on those two spark plugs even after 1000 miles.

The engine seems to runs good when I put new spark plugs in those two cylinders.

What could be the likely possble problem? Does this sound like a consistent problem with these engines?

I am wondering if it could be a fairly easy fix or am I going to need a whole new engine to fix this problem. Hoping maybe its the headgasket or something that is bad in that area.

Any thoughts, experience, or suggestions would appreciated. I am going to bring the truck into a mechanic to get the transmission replaced (details on another post) and I am thinkg of having them dig into the engine a little to see if the can find the problem.

The Pair
    have compression checks done on the cylinders. do you have any smoke out the tailpipe? you might have problems with the rings in those cylinders with a ootta oil.

Thanks for the reply Shorts.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I really don't notice smoke coming out of exhaust, *possibly a very little at start up, but the exhuast looks normal when its running.

If it is the rings I would suspect that a rebuild is in store for the near future and a compression check will quickly tell me if thats the problem or not. Is there any possible problem it could be and not require a rebuild? What what could be some possible causes for bad rings in these two cylinders?

I am hoping for the best.

Kyle

Okay, had a compressoin check done on it, all cylinders are +/- 2psi so the rings are not bad.

The only thing the the mechanic could come up with was leaky valve guides becuase you would not notice it in a compression check becuase the valvles would be closed.

Does this sound like a very probable answer? Could it possibly be something else?

I want to get the valve guides redone on the passenger side head and it will run about 800$. Quite a bit cheaper than putting in a new engine. But I want to be as certain as possible that it is nothing else when they start on it.

It could be something as simple as a leaking intake at those two intake ports and a gasket replacement might fix it. Too hard to diagnose over the internet, check the intake gasket thread in the General Discussion forum.

Well, I had the dealership dig into it and it turned out it was the intake gasket. It was actaully pulled into the lifter valley on the 4 and 6 cylinders. Runs great now.

Thanks for your replies.

Kyle

Proud Parent of a 5.7L V8 Z71Silverado98's Avatar
    i was having a prob. w/ oil consumption. i was low 1 1/2 quarts about 1,500mi after an oil change. go down to O'reilys or local auto parts and get a can of Restore. this stuffs been around since my grandfathers time, restores seals, helps restore compression, blah blah blah. $5 can, try it before you go into costly repairs, it worked for me.
    98 Chevy Z71, PowerAid TBS, K&N FIPK, 2.25" Dual 50 series Flowmaster, SSBC Big Brake Kit, 305/70 ProComp Xterrains on 16x8 Am. racing Terons, 2" lift, CFM Tech Throttle Blade,B&M Elec. Shift Kit, Vette Servo, Trans-Go Shift Kit, Hooker Super Comp Headers, Descreened MAF.