GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Spare tire wont come down....

This is a discussion on Spare tire wont come down.... within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; my factory spare tire will not lower. I have the metal rod thing and when i turn it it acts ...

Spare tire wont come down....

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    my factory spare tire will not lower. I have the metal rod thing and when i turn it it acts like it is starting to turn then i feel it slip. I have leaned my entire body weight on it while turning all to no avail.....So its not a force thing....anyone have any ideas??
    "I'll be back. You can't keep the Democrats out of the White house forever, and when they get in...I'm back on the street WITH ALL MY CRIMINAL BUDDIES BUWAHAHAHAHAHAH" - Sideshow Bob

The thing that I can think of is there is a new piece that may be required. I know that I got a notice in the mail saying that some spare tires weren't able to be lowered do to the fact that the original rod wasn't right. So I got a different rod which is what you may need. But Im not sure. I dont even know if my original piece works or not but figured that I might as well get the new one just incase.
    My Cardomain link.. click on sig

Handicapped Accessible 2000 Silverado Z71 w/ Rancho lift, 33s Toyo M/Ts, 20x12 AF Rebels, & Bilstein 5160 Resi's

make sure you got the right end of the tool in the hole. you need to use the biggest end of the square rod. we had this happen at work one day. the dealership that sent us the truck told us to kick the tire and it will eventually come down. it actually freed up the ratchet and let it come down.

JB
    Originally posted by Ranch Hand
    make sure you got the right end of the tool in the hole. you need to use the biggest end of the square rod. we had this happen at work one day. the dealership that sent us the truck told us to kick the tire and it will eventually come down. it actually freed up the ratchet and let it come down.
    Read the instructions, I bet you have the wrong end of the rod in there.
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

this happened on my 88......turned out the cotter pin had rusted out ..pin is downstream of the handle and before the wheel hoist...i replaced it with a stainless steel one..end of problem....john b

The factory tools that came with my '01 and my brothers' '99's and '00 Silverados didn't work at all. When I took my spare off for the first time to install my rollpan I stopped to take a break and checked the mail. Three of the new rods were in the mail from GM.

Drive it like ya stole it DarkEternal's Avatar
    Just go under there and cut the cable and take the whole mechanism out, the stock spare isnt doing you any good with bigger tires anyways!!!

2001 Silverado Z-71 5.3 - 1 ton SFA

Im not doing it backwards....

I prob will just cut it off.
    "I'll be back. You can't keep the Democrats out of the White house forever, and when they get in...I'm back on the street WITH ALL MY CRIMINAL BUDDIES BUWAHAHAHAHAHAH" - Sideshow Bob

I think there was some kind of a recall for that, I took mine for that same reason. It was free and they added some kind of bar underneath.
    2002 Silverado Bagged with KP & ART on Intro 22's Black Bear Tuned
    2008 Silverado 2500HD DuraMax 6" RCD on Toyo 35's on 18's
    2000 SOLD