If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Cargo Capacity 2500 series truck, 8 foot bed?

This is a discussion on Cargo Capacity 2500 series truck, 8 foot bed? within the Tow/Haul Mode forums, part of the General Discussion category; I would think that a 3/4 ton truck has 1500 lbs capacity. Is this the actual capacity they can carry ...

Cargo Capacity 2500 series truck, 8 foot bed?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I would think that a 3/4 ton truck has 1500 lbs capacity. Is this the actual capacity they can carry in the bed, or is it higher or lower? I am looking at a camper that weighs between 1700 and 1900 lbs wet weight.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Cargo Capacity 2500 series truck, 8 foot bed?

No, thats not exactly how it works. You find the cargo/payload (what you can fit in the bed, in the cab, and tongue weight of the hitch all together) capacity by getting the trucks GVWR and subtracting the actual weight of the truck, and all the people, fuel, cargo etc you will be carrying.

This will change depending on what year, cab configuration, 2500 light duty, 2500 heavy duty, etc. Give more details about the truck and we can help you better.

For example both of my trucks are 9,200 GVWR, but the extended cab gas truck would have a higher payload capacity than the crew cab long bed diesel since it weighs less and takes up less of that 9,200 GVWR, but either way I would have over 3,500lbs payload capacity in either truck, but subtract a couple hundred pounds for a full tank of fuel, lets say 4 people in the truck at 150lbs each for another 600lbs, 200lbs of cargo, another 100lbs of fresh water in in the camper, etc, and we are already getting down to only 2400 lbs capacity left for the camper...get it?

Now then, a light duty 2500 and many OBS 2500s are usually around 8600 gvwr, so right there you already have around 600lbs less capacity to work with depending on curb weight of the truck.
    Last edited by GCncsuHD; 05-03-2009 at 07:31 AM.

I'll put it this way...I've had 2800 lbs of gravel in my bed before (and driven 50+ miles with it), more than once, and it wasn't even close to maxing out the suspension.

Now, GM will tell you different, but that's your call.

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosman
    I'll put it this way...I've had 2800 lbs of gravel in my bed before (and driven 50+ miles with it), more than once, and it wasn't even close to maxing out the suspension.

Now, GM will tell you different, but that's your call.
    GM shouldn't tell you any different, you still had over 500lbs left of payload capacity while hauling that 2800lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GCncsuHD
    GM shouldn't tell you any different, you still had over 500lbs left of payload capacity while hauling that 2800lbs.
    well, my math is off on this too I think...

The quarry weighed me in and out, and I was 7900 Lbs in and 10,700 lbs out, which is over my "limit," but I'm pretty sure it doesn't weight 7500 lbs empty (me and the passenger weighed about 400 combined) ...

Either way $28 for 2800 lbs of gravel is just fine with me!

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosman
    well, my math is off on this too I think...

The quarry weighed me in and out, and I was 7900 Lbs in and 10,700 lbs out, which is over my "limit," but I'm pretty sure it doesn't weight 7500 lbs empty (me and the passenger weighed about 400 combined) ...

Either way $28 for 2800 lbs of gravel is just fine with me!
    Their tare weight is off or not zeroed then, your truck does not weigh near 7900 empty, more like 6000. My CCLB Dmax is only about 6200lbs.

What year truck is it. My 03 has a sticker in the glove box that has the max weight of a slide in camper. My 96 had a camper weight sticker in the glove box too.
    " Patton said it best " Wars are not won by dying for your country, wars are won by making the other poor son of a b#### die for his country! "

Go to a local truck/fuel center and weigh the truck when you have it full of fuel and yourself. Place the front and rear axles on different sections of the scale so you can get axle weights. You will add these two numbers and get gross vehicle weight or tare or curb weight.

Subtract the tare or curb weight from the GVWR and you will know how much stuff you can add to your truck legally per the door sticker.

Now, as you add stuff/people add their weight. Be honest as you are playing with your/their life potentially.

Towing at or even near gross ratings is never fun and can ruin your day. Steep grades uphill will kill speed and downhill can kill brakes.

If you can't stop all that stuff, you might run someone over when they cut you off or run a stop sign.

Be smart and be ready to stop quickly if necessary. Keep your speed realistic for the area you are in.

Hope you have fun.

Ronnie
    "96 ECSB Totalled 11/06 "99 ECSB K1500 5.3 Base Silverado with 320K miles on the clock "01 GMC CCSB K2500 6.0 153K with 19.5" Michelin Medium Duty Tires "95 Cummins TD 310/751

Quote Originally Posted by fuster
    I would think that a 3/4 ton truck has 1500 lbs capacity. Is this the actual capacity they can carry in the bed, or is it higher or lower? I am looking at a camper that weighs between 1700 and 1900 lbs wet weight.
    GCncsuHD did a really good job of explaining max weight that I thought was rather impressive. You seem to be asking the question for a specific purpose, so I'll add some things to help you understand hauling loads from my own experiences. To directly answer your question though, 1700-1900 will haul very comfortably for you.

They make truck tanks for hauling water that come in very specific sizes for different sized trucks which are designed with notches on the bottom sides to clear the wheel wells. 210 gallon, 325 gallon, and 425 gallon are designed to comfortably match 1500s, 2500s, and 3500s, respectively. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, so that is 1680 lbs, 2600 lbs, and 3400 lbs, also respectively. I don't think GM labeling them 1500s, 2500, and 3500s is a coincidence if you compare those weights.

I've hauled a 210 gallon tank in the back of a 1/4 ton and a 325 gallon in the back of a 1/2 ton, many times. Overloading like that can be done for short distances, but there are consequences. With the 1/4 ton, I couldn't go much over 45 mph because hitting bumps at 55 mph would cause the back of the truck to bounce. I know this because it happened once, and I learned my lesson with only a little sweat on my brow. Whether it was from repeatedly hauling a 325 gallon water tank on the back of an old 1/2 ton ext cab I used to have or from overloading it with gravel a couple times, I noticed one day that I had bowed the frame between the back of the cab and the bed a little.

This is the first time I've ever owned a 3/4 ton. The frame, suspension, transmission, and brakes are stronger and built for hauling heavier loads. When hauling trailers, the weight is less of an issue because the axle(s) of the trailer bear most of the weight...so the overall weight can be considerably more. What matters most is being able to safely pull and stop the load you are hauling. HTH

2000 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L

My 2000 2500HD Ext LB 6.0L has a label in the glove box saying the max camper load it 2134. The truck weighs 5890lbs wet and a gross of 8600lbs. That leaves about 2700lbs for payload. I just assume 2134lbs is the max for the bed and use the balance for people and stuff.

You should be good to go. Sway bar and air bags would make your life alot more pleasant as all that weight is gonna make you a little top heavy. I know 2 yards of 1inch unwashed river rock weighs in at a little over 5grand. Had that in the back a few times, learned the hard way that leaf springs will go backwards (shrader valve on the bags blew out) and sometimes they dont like to go back the way they were haha.