If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Tow Package wiring harness questions

This is a discussion on Tow Package wiring harness questions within the Tow/Haul Mode forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys I have a 1997 GMC 1500 Suburban,I just picked up a utility trailer and am trying to figure ...

Tow Package wiring harness questions

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys I have a 1997 GMC 1500 Suburban,I just picked up a utility trailer and am trying to figure out the wiring.The tow package is factory.I get running lights and blinkers,they are very dim but I got em and no brake lights,everytime i hit the brake pedal the running lights go out.There are 4 wires plus the white ground on the truck and only 4 wires coming off the trailer including the ground.I just rewired the trailer with a new kit today and I cant seem to get any dang brake lights Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by SLT4x4; 02-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    There Is No Charge For Awesomeness **Kung Fu Panda**
    '97 GMC Suburban SLT 4x4

Re: Tow Package wiring harness questions

did you check the voltage coming from the truck? it sounds like your ground isnt good on it. i dont believe the trucks like yours and mine come with trailer connectors from the factory they just run the wires for you so what you got was probably added by someone before. anyway the connections between the aftermarket connector and factory wires corrode especially if butt splice connectors are used. if thats the case you should get a new trailer pigtail and solder and heatshrink it in.
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

Try connecting the white wire to a clean ground on the trailer.
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

I tried all of the above guys,The only thing I can think of is that the trailer isnt properly grounded.It was a bolt together kit and it came painted so I may have to try properly grounding it.This isnt rocket science Ive wires this stuff up before LOL but only for my boat trailer.Thanks for the tips.
    There Is No Charge For Awesomeness **Kung Fu Panda**
    '97 GMC Suburban SLT 4x4

Try this: Using a grinder or wire brush, clean a spot to bare metal on trailer and one on frame of truck. Take a piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends and connect at bare spots. If that does it, you have proved the ground isn't making it.
    From there it is simple tracing which ground isn't getting good contact.
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

Piloting the Land Yacht Texsbluethunder's Avatar

Right you are on the factory trailer wiring just being a bundle of wires, when I got my 96 in 2005 the wiring wass till tucked up behind the bumper.

as for the OP. If the wiring harness on the truck is "t"ed into the factory conector on the driverside infront of the bumper try cleaning this. I've had those kits give me headaches more than once. Apart from that a ground issue like many have said.

Alex
    '96 Chevy K1500HD ECLB, 385,000km and still goin strong...ish, Rebuilt 355 w/4L60e on its last legs
    '07 Pontiac G5, Wifes Blurple commuter, 97,000km
    78/80/93 GMC in many pieces and places waiting for time and effort.